i'm changing the pickups on my sg. the guitar has 3 humbuckers, i'm replacing the neck and bridge humbuckers (probably for GFS mean 90s). i cant find any replacement middle humbuckers anywhere - any ideas? i might just end up taking the middle one out of the equation but leave it in the guitar so that i dont have a gaping hole in it, in which case hhow should i disconnect it? just cut the wires? will this lead to the other pickups becoming weaker or will it just **** up thw whole circuit? (i do realise that to most of you this will seem like a complete dumbass question)

cheers again guys
Just leave the middle one as it is because they are pretty good pups anyhoo

If it is Gibson, If epi then just dont use it
i have an epiphone and the stock pickups sound terrible. however the switch is three way and the options are 1.bridge and middle 2.all three and 3. middle and neck
you can probably change the selector so you can just have bridge and middle but im not really an expert much
Quote by Mr.Don'tShootMe
I've always wondered why you don't ever see a guitar with just a pickup in the middle?

Er... Ever seen an Ibanez RG, a strat, or most guitars somewhat similar to those two?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Er... Ever seen an Ibanez RG, a strat, or most guitars somewhat similar to those two?

No. He means a guitar with ONLY a middle pickup. I've seen some odd 'pawnshop prizes' with only a middle pickup.
Quote by Aidy Damage
No. He means a guitar with ONLY a middle pickup. I've seen some odd 'pawnshop prizes' with only a middle pickup.

Oh, in that case, I've never seen one.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I love pawnshop prizes...

And you can rewire the switch to be just for the neck and bridge buckers.

I can't remember if Epi SGs have 1 vol/1 tone or 2 vol/2 tone, so here:

Go here if it's 2 vol, 2 tone: http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_2v_2t_3w

Go here if it's 1 vol, 1 tone: http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_1v_1t_3w
Look at devin townsends custom guitar. That only has a middle pickup. and isn't it a bridge pick-up that goes in the middle forsaknazrael?
ESP Eclipse-II VTB (With 18v Mod)
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
Quote by tomypg
Look at devin townsends custom guitar. That only has a middle pickup. and isn't it a bridge pick-up that goes in the middle forsaknazrael?

Dunno, but I would use a neck pickup, as the strings still ring pretty freely in that "middle position". No need for high output.

Quote by Invader Jim
azrael: what about magnet polarity? Won't they cancel out?

I don't think humbucker are RWRP..? They're all done a certain polarity, so if you get them all from the same brand, and wire them the same way, it'd be fine.

Wait, I just realized he's using Mean 90's. Hm, that is an interesting dilemma.
I would just do it like this:
Neck Mean 90 (Just reverse the output and ground).
Neck Mean 90
Bridge Mean 90

And that should be hum canceling in both neck/middle and middle/bridge positions. Right?
Well, that's what I'm saying...with singles, NNN or SSS will cancel each other out and you'll get no sound, hence why they are NSN or SNS.

I dunno if HBs are the same way though.
Neck: (reverse wound)GFS Dream or Mean 90
Middle: GFS vintage 59 humbucker.(neck position recommended, OR, a bridge pickup if your guitar has individual volume for each pickup)
Bridge: GFS mean 90
It'll sound great.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Last edited by Iansmitchell at Jun 29, 2008,
The middle humbucker is actually just another neck pickup in the middle if you look at the visible pole pieces they are in the same place as a neck pickup
Quote by Invader Jim
Well, that's what I'm saying...with singles, NNN or SSS will cancel each other out and you'll get no sound, hence why they are NSN or SNS.

I dunno if HBs are the same way though.

Well, they won't cancel each other out, as if you won't get sound. You'll get an out of phase sound.
Reversing wires will reverse the phase again, so my pickup choices would work, and be hum canceling in the middle positions.