I just started playing guitar just under 2 months ago. I've been working on getting my hand comfortable moving around the fretboard and adjusting my finger placements so I don't get any muted strings.

I'm noticing that with my D chord that the "G" string when I press down on the secong fret is completely off. I have Korg Chromatic tuner which registers it as "B" sharp but says it is way too sharp. The tuner says the string is in tune when it is open. The tone seems to adjust a large amount depending on how much pressure I put to the string. I don't notice this as heavily with other strings. Is it a bad string or am I doing something wrong? I wipe down the string after every use and try to really take care of them.

Thanks in advance!
make sure your G string is tuned.. if its tuned,there should be no reason that your d chord,or anything you fret using G string,would sound out of tune..
Well if you press to hard, the string will go sharp. Just remember always to press just light enough to sound the note...

Still, the G string is naturally intonated wrong, so the notes will be off especially in that area of the neck. So it might not entirely be your fault..
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
I think AznElliot518 is right... dont press really hard on the strings. You'll hear the difference when you press softly
you're pressing too hard and bending the string, which raises the pitch, which in turn shows up sharp. It should register as an A
Is your guitar is new or second hand? A poorly setup guitar could have bad intonation, meaning it sounds out of tune as you move along the string. Rarely a problem on most newer guitars and rarely would be noticed on the 2nd fret. More noticeable usually as you move further along the string.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ Storm Stenvold
~ http://www.guitarteacher.com
~ See It, Hear It, Play It!
~ Free Video Guitar Lessons, Jam Tracks + More!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quote by toppsseller
I just started playing guitar just under 2 months ago. I've been working on getting my hand comfortable moving around the fretboard and adjusting my finger placements so I don't get any muted strings.

I'm noticing that with my D chord that the "G" string when I press down on the secong fret is completely off. I have Korg Chromatic tuner which registers it as "B" sharp but says it is way too sharp. The tuner says the string is in tune when it is open. The tone seems to adjust a large amount depending on how much pressure I put to the string. I don't notice this as heavily with other strings. Is it a bad string or am I doing something wrong? I wipe down the string after every use and try to really take care of them.

Thanks in advance!

If your tuner is reading that note as a B# at that fret, then your open string tuning for the 3rd string is off. Retune it to G. Lower the tuning below G, then bring it back up. Now try that D chord again and see how it sounds. And are you sure you're playing that chord at the right position on the neck? First finger second fret, third string. Second finger second fret first string. Third finger third fret second string. All three fingers should be making a triangle shape when performing this chord. Also make sure you're fretting just behind each fret bar. In other words, just to the headstock side of each fret bar. Too far away and you'll get string buzz, and too close or right on top of the fret and you'll mute the note.
That note should be an A, B# is sharp. If your tuning is correct then your intonation is probably out.

Either get it setup at a music shop or fix it yourself. It's not hard to fix - there's plenty of info on google/this site.

Also how high are the strings from the fret board? If the height of the G isn't similar to the other strings then this could cause a problem.

Last edited by steve-b1 at Jun 30, 2008,