Page 1 of 2
Alright, I'm looking for a 20-40 watt amp that can be used to gig. Something with warm smooth tones.

I'd prefer two channels, something with good clean headroom, that won't turn muddy when it starts to break up. The second channel I'd like as full, thick and warm sounding as possible.

Currently I've been using a Peavey JSX, but far too heavy, it's got far too much power and it's tone is fully inappropriate for what we've been doing.

Currently I'm renting an H&K Statesman, which I've yet to gig with, and it seems my best option so far, however while it sounds great with my ES-335, it sounds rather thin and ugly with my Strat. But I've yet to try it an an actual gig, so I won't know for sure until then.

Please do not suggest the following:

Peavey Classic 30: The other guitar player uses one, I tried renting one, but we suffered from a lot of phase cancellation since we both EQ'd it roughly the same. The mids and treble both seem to need to be cut way back, for it not to sound harsh and piercing.

Traynor of any sort. I've rented one, and played many. They do have a nice clean channel, but for some reason they're all very quiet amps that have no punch and a very papery OD channel.

Anyway, if anyone can think of any suggestions I'd love to hear them. It's been rather a frustrating time trying to find a new amp, and I've lost count of how many I've tried and hated.
for your price range, have you checked out Cornford or Framus,
both excellent brands and will prob have something to your taste?
Fender Twin Reverb, Bassman, Chicago Blues Box, and Dr. Z are amps worth looking into.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
I personally like the statesman, but a Dr. Z might be for you, my friends dad has one and its very nice.
Gear
Carvin custum dc 747
Ibanez rg 520qs
Homemade Nocaster
Hofner violin bass
Hughes & Kettner Swithcblade 100 head
Ampeg v-4 412's (one with veteran 30's one with stock speakers)
Randall 412
Vintage Supra
ISP Decimater G-string
To do the classic (or maybe most obvious), maybe try a vox AC30? I know it's quite a bit cheaper than 2k, but worth a shot
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
Quote by Korzack
To do the classic (or maybe most obvious), maybe try a vox AC30? I know it's quite a bit cheaper than 2k, but worth a shot

Not necessarily, there are AC30's beyond the custom classic range you know...

You can look into the handwired range at that price i think:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-AC30H2-30W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481615

Played an AC30 yesterday and all it made me wanna do was play blues, so i think this'd be perfect for you
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Chicago Blues Boxes are amazing, no need to ask
They make a 30 watt Kingston model sounds good for you.
Sadly, they're ALL single channel, but just use your guitar's volume knob to get some dirt.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
VOX AC30... either handwired (more expensive, maybe slightly out of your price range), or just the Chinese one (I have this). These don't have switchable channels, but if you get a Boss OD-3 and team it up with a good clean/slightly dirty tone, it serves as basically a really warm overdrive channel.
_______
|||||||||||||||
i have the BIGGEST case of deja-vu right now....

i could have swore i've seen this same (if not exact same then VERY similar) thread like over half a year ago....

if i remember correct i thought i posted something like this:

if it sounds thin an weak on your strat, use an OD pedal to fatten things up and an EQ pedal too. if your using stock pups (in a MIM strat) then upgrade those for fine tuning as well.

as far as amps go, try out british voiced amps as their cleans are usually a bit warmer, i believe fender's cleans are great but VERY clean and sparkly, lacking the warmness that you get w/ close-to-breakup cleans. i wish blackheart would make an amp that was right there in the middle but they make 5/15/100 watt amps, all w/ half power switches. check out the 15 watt handsome devil just to hear it though.

i tried an Epiphone sol-cal at the store and it was rather nice sounding for blues-rock. i'm not saying it's the best for ur budget, but it's low in cost, has a good layout w/ simple EQ and one or two nice features like master volume and reverb. you'd have plenty of money for changing tubes and getting HIGH QUALITY BOUTIQUE pedals for it.

just a thought there. i believe the shop in town has the 50 watt half stack for like $750.

be more specific w/ your 'blues and rock' sound. who's it similar to? i can play blues rock w/ insane hi gain and w/ light crunch.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I really appreciate them.

My Strat is MIA, so the electronics are no problem, and my OD definitely helps fatten it up a bit.

I tried out the Vox AC30CC2 (the 1200 one) and the clean sounded brilliant, but I found it really ugly when it started to break up. Although to be perfectly honest, I was having trouble figuring out the amps switches and dials and all that. It was also a little heavier than I want, as I'm going to be lugging the thing around. How do the higher end AC30s compare to this one?

I've been looking for some Dr Z amps to no avail. I owned a Maz Jr. for about a month a few years back, and it's sound was nothing short of orgasmic. I could also turn the thing to 10 in my house and not bother the neighbors, so I had to return it. It was a very sad day. I've been trying to find the 38watt version of it ever since.

Can't be much more specific about what type of Blues/Classic rock I'm playing. We know about 250 songs, and play about 40-50 each night, so if you can think of it, we probably play it, which is part of the reason this has been so difficult.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming, I've got a lot of new stuff to hunt down and try.
I've only heard good things about Roland Cube 60's. It's also got a nice number of effects built-in if you're interested in that.
Signature? What's a signature?

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best theory lesson EVER!
I'd still look into Chicago Blues Box.
Their amps nail plenty of blues tones (tweed, BF, british), and can get some good classic rock tones going on too.
But, Dr. Z's are nice too.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by firebreath07
I've only heard good things about Roland Cube 60's. It's also got a nice number of effects built-in if you're interested in that.

Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^LOL.

no offense bro but the cube amps are PRACTICE amps and better for metal and hard rock. an epiphone valve jr. alone could rape the mess out of the cube and vox valvetronix series w/ it's blues and rock tones.

he's got $2000 to spend, i think he should get at the very least a semi-pro level amp.

OH OH OH!!!! CHECK OUT THE RANDALL MTS SERIES!!! it's right there in your budget!! you can get the 50 watt 1x12 combo! they have MANY modules to choose from, each modeled after a popular amp. get the 'blackface' module for clean and then choose a 'dirty' module. they got modules for a few marshalls including the plexi and the AC30 and others that, all going from the lightest/no gain to mid gain to hi gain.

check it out, it's versatile as hell and made for the working gigger!!! oh yea and did i mention....IT'S ALL TUBE!!! you can even buy a couple extra modules ($200 a piece) and have a good selection of famous tube amp models. and these modules are VERY accurate recreation of the tone.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by theo8001
for your price range, have you checked out Cornford or Framus,
both excellent brands and will prob have something to your taste?

I second the Cornford suggestion.

Incredible amplifiers.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
i think you should look into hughes and kettner collection. the stateman isn't much compare to other models. you can try to get a used duotone or triamp mkI or mkII for under 2 grand. since all three of them are over 2.5 grand new.
What about something like a Fender Deluxe or Super Reverb? Or a Supersonic?

You could even throw a curve ball and get something like a Gretsch or 65 Amp.

That kind of budget opens a few doors up. I heard a Dr. Z demo today and think that they sound incredible.
Quote by icronic

Currently I'm renting an H&K Statesman, which I've yet to gig with, and it seems my best option so far, however while it sounds great with my ES-335, it sounds rather thin and ugly with my Strat. But I've yet to try it an an actual gig, so I won't know for sure until then.

Really? My Statesman sounds amazing with my Strat, try EQ-ing it again...
Adam
Quote by greggybhoy
What about something like a Fender Deluxe or Super Reverb? Or a Supersonic?

Hell yes.

Also, Blackstar amps. Amaaaaaazing amplifiers, truly.

And you didn't like the AC30 when it started to break up?
Quote by imgooley
Hell yes.

Also, Blackstar amps. Amaaaaaazing amplifiers, truly.

And you didn't like the AC30 when it started to break up?

+1, thats kinda what its famous for
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

go to ceriatone.com and get a 50 watt Dumble Overdrive Special clone.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Maybe you should look into some vintage/reissue (if you can't afford the vintage) marshall (or look at ceriatone's clones) jtms or bluesbreakers, that is what most classic rock/blues rock bands used

just a thought....
Last edited by Dance_of_Death at Jun 29, 2008,
Quote by adzlee123
Really? My Statesman sounds amazing with my Strat, try EQ-ing it again...

How've you got it EQ'd?

I've been playing around with it a lot, and I've found some decent settings, but it still sounds a little thin, and the bridge pickup is always plain ugly.

Also, regards to the Vox, as I said i was having trouble figuring out the controls, and I didn't have a whole lot of time to muck with them. So maybe I'll give it another look.
is your strat MIA or MIM? if it has stock pups then maybe you should upgrade them. if it's a SSS strat, then maybe the twanginess of the bridge pup is too much for you. in that case, get a SD bucker in that spot for beefier sounds.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by chase312
I second the Cornford suggestion.

Incredible amplifiers.

Thirded. I own a Cornford Hellcat head (35W) and 2x12 with Vintage 30s. The tone and responsiveness of this amp is stunning. Infact, I'm in the process of ordering a Corford Carrera (4-8W) for when the Hellcat is just too loud.

The Hurricane (20W) and Hellcat (35W) combos may suit you very well.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by slash_rocks2005
if it's a SSS strat, then maybe the twanginess of the bridge pup is too much for you. in that case, get a SD bucker in that spot for beefier sounds.

Or just wire the singlecoil to a tone knob...
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Orange Rocker 30?
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Marshall JTM or JCM; Laney if you are looking for a touch of british flavor; as an aside, I am suprised at you not liking the VOX AC30. For more american tone, you may want to look at Fender (as several others have mentioned.) You certainly have the budget to get a great amp. Best of luck in your quest.
Oh yeah...

Bad Cat=Bada**
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
so i read through all these posts, waiting patiently to see if my suggestion was shouted out already. half of it was. but let me write it in the sky in the biggest, boldest, sweetest, warmest, oh-so-beautifully overdriven letters i can....

O * R * A * N * G * E

either the AD30HTC (what i believe is best for you), the rocker 30,
or the thunderverb 50. i know you said 20-40watt club, but the thunderverb 50 has the built in attenuator and the thing is FLAWLESS and is slightly more versatile in its voicing than the AD or the rocker. i have the thunderverb 50 and it can literally make any sound you want it to. beautiful. and you can use the onboard attenuator to roll your perfect tone down to whisper quiet, all the way to silence even. but they only sell it in a head right now, so the whole shebang would run a little over 3G. i paid $3,400 for mine with footswitches, covers and a shirt.
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
so i read through all these posts, waiting patiently to see if my suggestion was shouted out already. half of it was. but let me write it in the sky in the biggest, boldest, sweetest, warmest, oh-so-beautifully overdriven letters i can....

O * R * A * N * G * E

either the AD30HTC (what i believe is best for you), the rocker 30,
or the thunderverb 50. i know you said 20-40watt club, but the thunderverb 50 has the built in attenuator and the thing is FLAWLESS and is slightly more versatile in its voicing than the AD or the rocker. i have the thunderverb 50 and it can literally make any sound you want it to. beautiful. and you can use the onboard attenuator to roll your perfect tone down to whisper quiet, all the way to silence even. but they only sell it in a head right now, so the whole shebang would run a little over 3G. i paid $3,400 for mine with footswitches, covers and a shirt.

other than the orange AD30/rocker 30 which i HIGHLY RECCOMEND,

the Dr. Zs are fantastic. tophats, cornfords, laneys, bad cats, rivera... also all good. and i hear good things about 65 and dividedby13.

Orange and Dr. Z you can get on humbuckermusic.com
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
I +1 the Super Reverb

I have one and it is perfect for that...unfortunately i play metal so it doesnt really do much for me. Only thing is that it is single channel
Yeah, any super reverb type amp would be mint for you.
as well as a bassman.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
which would bring the supersonic into question as well... played one the other day. two great fenders in one amp... cant beat that.
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
Yeah, but if he has the budget for something higher quality, let him go for it.
The ss is good, but he can do better.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Wouldn't a Budda Superdrive be a good contestant?
I know the OD sounds awesome, not sure on the cleans though.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Page 1 of 2