Page 1 of 2
Just post if you play violin, viola, cello, or double bass.

I've been playing violin for 5 years and am in a regional symphony orchestra. I like to play fast, technical pieces (Accolay- Concerto in A minor, Bach- Concerto in A minor, Brahms- Concerto in D major, etc.)

I like playing because it is a totally different experience tahn guitar and is a dying art- read: I would estimate less than 10 people on UG can actually play a violin and NOT sound like absolute crap. I've seen people that have been playing for 12 years and cant even play grade 5 music.

And you thought guitarists were elitists?

The thing I like about violin is that you cant just pick it up, take lessons, and play. You have to have a calling for it, like a talent. It takes much more thought and discipline to play a violin well than guitar.

Last edited by Twisted Magnum at Jun 29, 2008,
no, guitarists are "coolists". you can do a lot cooler stuff with a guitar.

actually, violin is one of my favourite instruments, though i cant play it, and i have respect for anyone who can play any instrument (not the triangle, of course!!!).
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Quote by Flying Couch
I play viola, and I don't sound like crap. Does that count?

2 letters off is close enough
My mate plays violin, had a pickup put on it as well. I had a go, and its pretty similat to guitar, you just have to get used to it being fretless. Played a couple of riffs and stuff but it sounded too scratchy to me. I'd quite like to have the chance to play a Cello at some point.
RULE BRITANNIA
Cello is pretty fun to play. I dont "play" it, but its fun to play with. The bigger the instrument ex. violin>viola>cello>double bass, the larger the intervals, which can get confusing at times. I also cant read music in bass clef, so I cant really play higher level cello pieces.
Violin is actually my favorite sounding instrument.

I've been wanting to learn to play for a while now, but I haven't been able to put forth the time or money to actually learn...
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by cobain_is_king
sounded too scratchy to me.

That would be the lack of skill.

I played the violin for 9 years. I was pretty damn good. As in i fully believe that i could be on a full scholarship at Juliard. But that wasn't my path, i am a firefighter. And what firefighter needs a degree from Juliard? The last peice i remember working on was Meditation from Thais, i believe Mendelson. I had that thing down pat. I prefer slower, more technical beautiful sounding pieces such as this. My favorite era is Romantic, what about you TS?
GEAR

Hohner MR-800
B.C. Rich Rich Bich Platinum
MIC Squier Strat
Boss MT-2 Metalzone
Fab chorus
Fab echo
Fender Super champ XD
Quote by cobain_is_king
My mate plays violin, had a pickup put on it as well. I had a go, and its pretty similat to guitar, you just have to get used to it being fretless. Played a couple of riffs and stuff but it sounded too scratchy to me. I'd quite like to have the chance to play a Cello at some point.

I believe that scatchiness is what TS was referring to by "sounding like crap." Beginners always have shitty tone.
Quote by LedZeppelin9345
no, guitarists are "coolists". you can do a lot cooler stuff with a guitar.

actually, violin is one of my favourite instruments, though i cant play it, and i have respect for anyone who can play any instrument (not the triangle, of course!!!).

thats good because i play the electric cowbell
i play cello at school and double bass for jazz. i dont listen to much classical though, but i still like it better than pretty much anything else on the radio
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by KOL40
That would be the lack of skill.

I played the violin for 9 years. I was pretty damn good. As in i fully believe that i could be on a full scholarship at Juliard. But that wasn't my path, i am a firefighter. And what firefighter needs a degree from Juliard? The last peice i remember working on was Meditation from Thais, i believe Mendelson. I had that thing down pat. I prefer slower, more technical beautiful sounding pieces such as this. My favorite era is Romantic, what about you TS?

Meh, Romantic is really moving and beautiful, but too typical. Baroque is so much more aggressive and and less "flow-y". Not much vibrato, minor keys, and accidentals are what I like to hear and play best.

My favorite kinds are concertos with a solo violin (Accolay in A minor) with sad or dark sound. It covers over 3 octaves in literally 3 beats in 1 measure.
I always wanted to learn some violin, just so I could incorporate them into some rock songs and not suck like Yellowcard...
But its also worth mentioning the violin was about 30 years old and was ready for the scrap. I like the violin parts in Vivaldi's Four Seasons, but I think we can all agree Harpsichords sound better
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by flipthatchicken
I want to learn violin, but i dont know where to start

Get a teacher, I really wouldn't advise teaching yourself.
Quote by cobain_is_king
But its also worth mentioning the violin was about 30 years old and was ready for the scrap. I like the violin parts in Vivaldi's Four Seasons, but I think we can all agree Harpsichords sound better

Harpsichords sound too twangy and just downright AWKWARD for my tastes, but I still respect your right to like it.

/shudder
You ever hear of Helen Armstrong? She's my aunt and did a bunch of beneficial things for classical music/violin in the new england area before she died. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Armstrong_(violinist)

my girlfriend has also been playing since she was like, 5. she's crazy good at music but stopped playing this year for some reason.
It seems to be a very fun instrument if you can play it right, but how versatile is it?

I mean, there are lots of stuff to play on a guitar for example.
I started out on the violin in fourth grade, but I quit and started the cello in sixth grade. I recently just got into my high school's chamber orchestra, so that's a pretty big accomplishment for me.
Quote by aznmetalhead93
I started out on the violin in fourth grade, but I quit and started the cello in sixth grade. I recently just got into my high school's chamber orchestra, so that's a pretty big accomplishment for me.

Yeah, I'm in two of my high school's orchestras next year.
I just want to say that if you are considering learning violin, DO NOT EVER buy an electric violin, no matter what you hear. It will sound so horrible that you will want to gouge your eardrums out with your bow. The only time it will sound marginally good is when you are a professional and have an electric violin costing thousands of dollars. Otherwise, you are just going to get hell in a convenient, hollow violin-shaped box.

Also, if you are serious about learning just hire a teacher. Dont ever think you can teach yourself. This isnt guitar. Violin is one of the HARDEST instruments to learn and play and has a very steep learning curve. You'd be surprised how long it takes people to play and sound well.
I've played violin for about six years and i did my grade 5 last december.

I like the sound of romantic pieces and i love playing them once i know them (i do ridiculous amounts of vibrato) but they're so annoying to sight read!! I think i like baroque pieces the best.

TS, violin is a pretty popular instrument, i think there's probably more than ten people here who don't sound crap (i'm counting myself in this, lol) and it's not that much of a dying art; they're are still quite a lot of parents who want their kids to play violin.

Violin players of the world unite, you have nothing to lose but your bows!

Actually, i wouldn't do that, i love the tone my bow gives me.
Quote by Neer
It seems to be a very fun instrument if you can play it right, but how versatile is it?

You wont be able to play anything but classical for a few years. After you become fluent and possess a high degree of technique, you can try to play whatever you want.

Dont expect heavy metal riffs or chords.
Quote by Flying Couch
Yeah, I'm in two of my high school's orchestras next year.

How does that work out?
Sorry if I sound slow.
I played violin for 8 years took my grade 6 right before I quit.

That my friends is the most difficult instrument i have ever played
Quote by aznmetalhead93
How does that work out?
Sorry if I sound slow.

I don't know how other schools do it, but mine does it as having a class for each different orchestra - we're divided up into multiple groups based more or less on skill level. I had some extra space in my schedule, so I signed up for two of them.
Quote by Neer

Believe me, there is a lot you can play on violin. I mean people have been composing for violin for (for lack of proper information) ages. There also lots of styles, like classical, baroque, romantic, jazz, 20th centuary, Arcade Fire (lol), super modern atonal ****, ect.

You do have to get quite good at violin to sound good but the hard work deffinitely pays off.

Also, if you want to learn the violin i suggest getting a teacher, it's not the sort of instrument you can learn yourself that much.
I played cello for about 4 years, then realized I'm too busy and don't enjoy it enough to keep playing. It is a beautiful instrument though and I'll probably pick it up again when I get older.
I played viola for three years, then never picked it up for four. Then, a few months ago, I saw the music video for Goliath by the Mars Volta, and Omar was pretending to play a violin. It just looked so damned awesome that I bought a decent one from my guitar teacher, and I'm trying to reteach myself. I actually don't sound that bad, either.

Question for you guys, I've been covering up my somewhat out of tune notes with vibrato, but in the long run I think it would be beneficial to get the intonation perfect this early. Seven years ago when I first started my teacher put thin strips of tape on the fingerboard, can you buy something like this anywhere besides online, or use blue painter's tape or something? I just don't want to muck up my fingerboard.
You can probably buy them, but if you're going to use them I suggest you only use them for a month or so. Memorizing the exact position of the note on the neck is important.
im a violinist, been playing for at least 7 years. im thinking of upgrading from acoustic to electric but i think im going to purchase an electric guitar first.

one problem with me, is that i cant seem to play many popular songs on the violin, im mostly about classical music. do you guys use sheet music or learn by ear to learn popular songs? any tips?
I like violin, but I'm 6'4", so I can't play it without looking really stupid.

Cello is the manliest instrument in the orchestra.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
I've played violin for about 10 years. I'm working on grade 7 at the moment, and I'm in the youth symphony orchestra and youth string orchestra for my borough.

I only play Baroque, really. Favourite composers are Vivaldi and Corelli.

I have a 101 year old violin, and a stagg electric violin.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by Twisted Magnum
Meh, Romantic is really moving and beautiful, but too typical. Baroque is so much more aggressive and and less "flow-y". Not much vibrato, minor keys, and accidentals are what I like to hear and play best.

My favorite kinds are concertos with a solo violin (Accolay in A minor) with sad or dark sound. It covers over 3 octaves in literally 3 beats in 1 measure.

Yeah, doesn't it go Baroque>Classical>Romantic? It has been like 4 years since i really studied Violin. And baroque is short and choppy right, with lots of sticatto/spicatto 8th notes keeping the beat? And i used to vibrato like CRAZY!!! I loved it. U have wrist or arm vibrato? Mine is wrist. I really don't know if i can vibrato anymore (Motorcycle accident - messed up my left hand). And to guitar only players - vibrato is Soooooo much more difficult on the Violin, i mean it can take like 3 years before your vibrato sounds decent. The peice i mentiond, do you know of it? What grade is it? I mean, it wasn't that hard, whole piece was in 3rd and 5th position. The notes were easy, but making them flow (legato) and sound really, genuinely beautiful was the challenge in this piece. U guys are makeing me want to restring mine and buy a new bow.

As to sad and dark sounds, i guess i'm just not so good at them. Which is why i really can't compose metal solos (guitar). My solos are always happy!

Accolay in A minor - What tempo? Cause 3 octaves in three beats at 60 BPM isn't that hard, but like 100-120? WHEW!!!
GEAR

Hohner MR-800
B.C. Rich Rich Bich Platinum
MIC Squier Strat
Boss MT-2 Metalzone
Fab chorus
Fab echo
Fender Super champ XD
Page 1 of 2