ok so im learning scarified and its really damn fast. i noticed in most of the youtube videos people are using picks. im not that good with a pick and am better with my fingers, but is it even possible to play it with your fingers. can any of you?
Gear:
Musicman Stingray 4 string HH
Tech 21 Sansamp Para Driver
Ampeg V-4B
Ampeg SVT-212AV 2x12

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley compressor
Keeley Dark Side
Boss RC-2 Loop
Korg Pandora
Crybaby Wah
Last edited by fenderbassist12 at Jun 29, 2008,
hell, that Racer X song? That's impossible to play with fingers!
-------------------------------------------------
- Fender Strat (1988, Japan)
- Epiphone Les Paul (2008, Korea,)
- Epiphone Sheraton (1988, Korea)
- Morgan WG20GEN (2003, Norway)
and some stuff non-used stuff for sale/trade in the Netherlands
any song can be done with either.

just practice it and practice it.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I find it more difficult with a pick, switching from picking to tapping to picking.
The guy from Racer X Juan Adeltere or something doesn't use a pick....
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
You can only use 1 pick ... but you have 4 fingers and I salute anyone with the ability to use all 4.
I call him john, from what he went by in the racer x days, altohugh Iknow for th emars volta it's juan

He only uses two fingers, and I've attempted it, but not quite done it. It just takes practice. If I kept up trying for a couple more months I'd have it, but I'm more or less slowly improving all my skills.

I've tried playing fast songs with a pick, just to realize I'm faster and more accurate with my fingers anyways. It would take more practice to do it with a pick than the two finger I already have.

Plus, I think the tone fits better, especially if you're using a jazz bass.
The guy who played bass on the Spaceship 1 DVD or something uses a pick n' Ric, which is a much better version IMO
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I find it much easier using a two finger technique, but I can also play it with a pick.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Good song. Seems to be a lot easier with fingers, especially during the tapping parts. Picks just seem to get in the way, especially on the string skipping.
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

Quote by Deliriumbassist
That's not John Alderete though.

I didn't know i said it was j/k, i love you.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥

2 fingers completely pwn 1 pick. That's awesome.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
In the vid with the ric and pick in it, the bassist can't even solo.

Alderete does a damn sweeping pattern, pretty much.
Last edited by LeperMessiah_ at Jun 30, 2008,
Im actually in the process of learning this song with my band and Im attemping to play w/o a pick. I can play in almost up to speed, the song is around 140 bpm and I can play around 130ish. What really helped me with the song is just take it riff by riff, slowing it down and playing to a metronome. Also if you have guitar pro, slowing the tempo down and playing to it helps a lot.
Holiday, Boulevard Of Broken Dreams And American Idiot's Solos!!!! Those Are Soooo Good!!!
greenday1182
fingers can go MUCH faster than a pick, that song is definately not impossible, the fretting hand technique is alot more demanding than the plucking hand technique.