So I've got an Ibanez S470 with stock Infinity pups.

I was thinking of putting in a Dimarzio PAF Pro or Joe in the neck and a Fred or Mo Joe in the bridge to better get that Satriani sound.

BUT, is it not necessary to make that switch if I'm going to get a high-end effects unit like an XT Live or X3, Boss GT-10, or Digitech GNX4? I believe all of those have patches you can tweak to get the tone you want.

So do I really need to change the pups?

p.s. As far as an amp, I have a Vox AD30VT right now but I'm planning on upgrading to a Peavey Classic 30.
Ibanez S470 (2005 Black)
Washburn D10SCE
Vox AD30VT
There's no point changing the pickups until you've got the Peavey; you just won't notice the difference through the multi-effects unit or the Vox.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
You should get new pickups. I think your gonna find that the OD on your multi is not nearly as good as the OD on your Classic 30. And better pickups can push the amp for more gain, seeing as its an All-Tube. And with the multi, if you can find one that lets you bypass the preamp most of em have, like the ME-20, then that should be better.
i think that getting one of the effects units will have a much bigger impact on your tone, and you can get very close to what joe sounds like if you spend the time dialing in. that said, lots of his tone is based on the rich harmonics that the FRED and the PAF's give out, if you want his exact tone, i would get the satchurator (coming out in september, woooo!), his sig drive pedal, a Boss DS-1, and the pickups, cos those two pedals will cost a lot less than an effects station, but you will get many more sounds out of the effects station. sorry i bet that didnt help one bit lol
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck norris

A lot
Seems we have a difference of opinion here, but I appreciate the feedback.

Tubey69, what is the Satchurator and what is the name of his "signature drive pedal" (other than the Joe Satriani something - lol)?
Ibanez S470 (2005 Black)
Washburn D10SCE
Vox AD30VT
Quote by Hawaiiguy
Seems we have a difference of opinion here, but I appreciate the feedback.

Tubey69, what is the Satchurator and what is the name of his "signature drive pedal" (other than the Joe Satriani something - lol)?

The Satchurator is his signature drive pedal but it's not out yet.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
The Satchurator is his signature drive pedal but it's not out yet.
Thanks...obviously I need to read better! :-)
Ibanez S470 (2005 Black)
Washburn D10SCE
Vox AD30VT
sorry maybe i shoulda made it clearer , i didnt want to say distortion or overdrive pedal, cos its pretty much both really..
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck norris

A lot
The only difference new pickups will make through a modeller is clarity, and even then it's a small difference. The stock pickups in the S470 aren't bad, just a little dull sounding but that's not really an issue with a GT8/Pod.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Thanks again, everybody.

Another question: It wouldn't make any sense to get the Satchurator if I didn't get the Peavey Classic, right? I mean, my Vox probably wouldn't be able to put out the Satchurator's tones anywhere as nicely as the Peavey, right?
Ibanez S470 (2005 Black)
Washburn D10SCE
Vox AD30VT
Quote by The Pickle Man
You know what sucks the life out of your tone? Effects stations!

Generally, it's people who don't know how to use the equipment that suck the life out of tone.

To answer the question. Upgrade your pickups also. All other things being equal the change in pickups will make a big difference. Depending on the efx you buy your stock pickups should still be ok, but PAF's or something similar will give you an edge. The dimarzio's I have in my Dean Icon are light years ahead of the zebra pickups in the ML. The sustain goes on for days.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by Hawaiiguy
So I've got an Ibanez S470 with stock Infinity pups.

I was thinking of putting in a Dimarzio PAF Pro or Joe in the neck and a Fred or Mo Joe in the bridge to better get that Satriani sound.

BUT, is it not necessary to make that switch if I'm going to get a high-end effects unit like an XT Live or X3, Boss GT-10, or Digitech GNX4? I believe all of those have patches you can tweak to get the tone you want.

So do I really need to change the pups?

p.s. As far as an amp, I have a Vox AD30VT right now but I'm planning on upgrading to a Peavey Classic 30.

even tho i'm only using a podXT for direct recording, i noticed a big change when i upgraded my pickups.

not in the tone, but in the clarity and response. (from the ibanez INF to the seymour duncan JB)
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Dude, just wait until you get the classic 30 before you go out and try pedals

AMP has the biggest impact on tone.

And remember there are other pedals that arent the Vox Satchurator that are preety damn good.