In a few weeks i'll have 2 months of holiday in which to occupy myself, and being interested in such things plus having parents who support it; i've elected to procure a car engine from a brokers yard to stripdown and learn how it all works in practice

The question is, has anyone else done this? And what's the best way to go about it? Buying a manual that can direct you and such or just going methodically and without a direct plan as such?
stripping it down is easy, you just unbolt everything.

its putting it back together that requires some knowledge.

i've done it before, its not too hard.
i'm 15 and i've done it many times, i help out at my dads garage all the time, its a piece of piss. its pretty obvious, a manual might help but its not terribly difficult
Quote by spinalshred
stripping it down is easy, you just unbolt everything.

its putting it back together that requires some knowledge.

i've done it before, its not too hard.

+1

its alot harder to put together than take apart...

just take everything apart and lay it out on the work bench in that exact order you took it apart. replace worn out/bad parts put back together. not too hard.
member #4 of the lynyrd skynyrd fan club!

Hell yaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

Quote by wshnationals
hell yes, redneckrocker2, hell yes.
I remember we had to strip an engine at school once, we were 4-5 in each grp eventhough 3 of them just fapped. So we were basically 2, we had 3 weeks (LOL!) to do it, but it only took a few days. Just remember where each part goes, if you know the engine it's not so hard, and while you're at it go thru sparkplugs etc. Adjust them, the rings on the pistons if they need to be replaced etc. and ofc remember to remove the oil xD
Cheers guys
An issue on practicality though; would it be better to get a motorbike engine due to the size and weight of a car engine being prohibitive?
ive just replaced the engine in campervan, wasnt too hard- just find out what each bit does and then its common sense how to put it together
now extra flamey
Car engines are easier to work on then motorcycle engines. Honestly. My opinion would be to buy an old 350 small block and rebuild that. Parts are plentiful, its super easy, and the resale value for them is better.

But if you have all the parts and stuff you can tear down and rebuild a 350 in about 2 days. And thats a complete tear down, building the heads, and everything. Just be careful cause if you have to hone the block or have any cylinders sleeved then you're going to be out alot of time. And you really dont need a manual either.
Get yourself an older quite small engine.
First one I did was a Ford CVH 1.4. As long as you have a rough understanding of engines you'll be fine.
Oh and use a good set of tools. Snapping spanners hurts.
I used to do it with my first couple of bikes - a little 2 stroke is really easy for a first one, but a small car engine will be no problem really.

And get a Haynes manual to help you with it. If you've never stripped a motor before it will be well worth £20.
Quote by Oli_88
Oh and use a good set of tools. Snapping spanners hurts.

^ That too. Nothing worse than a cheap socket breaking and chopping big chunks out of your knuckles, or sticking a screwdriver right into your hand.
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']^ This man knows everything.

Seriously, don't even try and question him, he'll rip your face off with his awesomeness alone.
Quote by Kumanji
@ yet another win post from Vince. Kudos to you, sir.
Last edited by Vince Noir at Jun 29, 2008,