In a close poll, Hey Joe edged out La Grange to become the backing for the first CR Forum Jam. For those of you wondering what this is all about, I'll tell you: the forum picked a classic rock song, a backing track was made, and anyone who wants to can download the backing track, record a solo over it, and submit it. Once we have the entries in, they can be assembled together to form our jam. This is non-competitive, and is just a good way for people to see each other's playing.

I finished making a backing track, so you guys (and girls, perhaps) can now get to work. You can download the backing from http://crforumjams.dmusic.com/

Once you have finished, submit your entries via email as mp3s to psychodelia2@gmail.com

The Hey Joe backing track consists of the song's chord progression played 4 times. For those of you not familiar with the tune, the progression goes
| C G | D A | E | E | with vertical lines representing the beginning and end of each measure.

For approaches, you can either use E minor pentatonic, or you can arpeggiate and embellish each chord, or use a combination of these approaches. Or do something different that I haven't thought of.

For recording, if you don't have any other software, use Audacity, a free program. Audacity will allow you to export your recording as an MP3 when you have finished, but you have to download the Lame MP3 encoder online. Please export at the highest possible level (I believe this is 320 in Audacity). Use the Riffs and Recordings Audacity FAQ for any issues.

You'll be sending an mp3 containing both your recording AND the backing track, so make sure your solo is at a good level to be heard

I think this covers most issues. I'll give two weeks for recording, so figure that submissions should be in by Sunday, July 13th.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Hmm...this might convince me to try to connect my effects pedal to my computer
Co-founder of the UG Pink Floyd Fan club PM me or nick dixon
Winner of the CR Best Avatar Award

Quote by bodyheatseeker
ohhh burrrrn!
That's how we roll in the CR forum.
Irritate us, and we'll sic our 14 year old on you!
Couple of reminders:

a.) This jam does exist! For those of you who didn't know

b.) The "deadline" is in a week, but if people are actually interested and need it extended by a reasonable amount, such things can be worked out.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
done!

just as a note for next time, if you're recording a backing track, could you have a count-in at the start? i know you don't have to start the solo on the on-beat, but it just makes things easier.

apart from that, i love this thing.
Quote by T.S.R.
what?
if i were a midget...id go masturbate in public because...hey, im a midget and i can get away with anything

Quote by yawn
I heard Hitler was a pretty good guitarist back in his day...

Quote by guitar?
You're a towel.
Yeah, the count-in makes sense... I even thought about it before posting the recording, but for some reason I didn't add it if we have another one, I'll add the clicks at the beginning.
OK I've downloaded it but I'm gonna be away for 12 or so days so I won't make the deadline but I will do it

EDIT: and I'll be weird and do a slide solo

Quote by bodyheatseeker
ohhh burrrrn!
Ok, I have Jimmy Stradlin's (rather energetic!) take. les_paul, if yours is done, you can send it over

Since stonegolem wants in, I'll extend the deadline until he gets back, the more being the merrier.
OK...I'm back, so I'll see what I can do today

EDIT: I can't connect my effects pedal to my computer coz I don't have the right lead but I'm hoping my microphone will do...if not I'll try cleaning it up...and if that doesn't work.....

My microphone isn't even picking up any sound...there must be something wrong....don't bother waiting for my contribution

Quote by bodyheatseeker
ohhh burrrrn!
Last edited by stonegolem13 at Jul 23, 2008,