Ok so me and my friends are going to start our own band soon and im looking for some advice on gear selection. I will be playing grunge gutair and we are trying to get that bleach sound, i will the only gutair and will be playing power cord progressions with very dirty riffs and solos. Im looking for a mildly distorted sound when clean and a very distorted sound when i need it.

Right now i am playing on a basic squier strat, i like the way the guitar feels and dont want to spend money on another so i am going to get a new bridge pickup, the only thing is im looking for a humbucker but need it to fit a single coil slot. So i was thinking of getting a Seymour Duncan SHR-1 Hot Rail Stacked Single Coil Pickup. Im just skechy because I dont know much about pickups and I am worried this one might not be what im looking for. For example I think it might be to metally sounding for our sound which will be a grungy punk sound.

2nd. I am looking for a distortion pedal. Right now i have the boss ds-2 pedal in mind i havnt gotten to play it because guitar center only carrys the ds1 for some reason. The main reason this is on my list is because cobain used it and i checked the demo on thier site and it seems to be what im looking for.

3rd. I am looking to get a good 50 watt amp for gigs other guitarist i know have suggested gettin a marshall so i have choosen to add the Marshall MG50DFX Combo Amp to my list. Only thing is I just graduated school so I dont have much money and I dont think ill be useing its distortion or effects much because Ill already have a pedal and i havnt really heard very many amp effects in grunge so im looking for a possibly cheaper amp with just as good sound or better.

any, advice or critizism is appreciated.

edited. added buget and fixed typo's

Now that you metion that about the mg i have heard alot of bad stuff about them. I havnt really tryed out the amp but iv seen my friend play off of 1 before and i though it sounded good. But im a noob at amps and other guitar gear so i wouldnt know.

iv got 700 dollars i am welling to spend on all of it, and if i wait for my birthday in a mounth ill probably get 200 more if i hold off a little.

so max i would be spending is 900$ total
the pedal is $80
the pickup is $75
and 700 or so on the amp max
Last edited by scott008 at Jun 29, 2008,
search for some Kurt's gear if you want the Bleach sound

MMM EDIT: well i read all the points now
1) dont know what pups you should get
2) i heard Kurt used the Boss pedal so thats ok
3) i heard MG series Suck
Last edited by szekelymihai at Jun 29, 2008,
DO NOT, i repeat DO NOT get that Marshall amp. You have obviously decided to get it without even playing it. SOUNDS LIKE A PIECE OF S**T!!!!!!

Other than that it sounds good. That pickup i read good reviews about and i love kurt's distortion so that pedal should work out fine.

And other peeeps will definitely back me up on the MG series sounding like crap (just try using the searchbar, please?)

Your welcome!
DS-2 should be perfect for Nirvana sound, but for a mildly distorted "clean" sound and better sounding distortion you should get a one-channel tube amp. Really. DS-2 sounds MUCH better through full-tube amps. How much cash you can spend?

EDIT: I agree about MG series, they are useless. Just give us a budget and we'll choose some nice (and loud) amp for you.
Quote by c_man471
DO NOT, i repeat DO NOT get that Marshall amp. You have obviously decided to get it without even playing it. SOUNDS LIKE A PIECE OF S**T!!!!!!

Other than that it sounds good. That pickup i read good reviews about and i love kurt's distortion so that pedal should work out fine.

And other peeeps will definitely back me up on the MG series sounding like crap (just try using the searchbar, please?)

Your welcome!

+1 to any of that.

Seymour Duncan makes top notch pickups, and Boss distortion is great.

Maybe a Fender amp from the Hot Rod series? Like the blues jr.? If you're not using the amp's distortion, putting a Boss OD or Distortion in front will probably be very nice.
_______
|||||||||||||||
I hate to be stereotypical, but the Valveking is a hell of alot better than the MG.
The Valveking comes in 50 watts, and 100watts, but 50watts will be enough because tube amps sound alot louder than solid states.
or if your going for a really big sound. get the bugera 333XL (i think thats what its called, im saying it off the top of my head right now) with the cab. Incredible sound for under 1000$.

cheers.

EDIT: Get a good overdrive pedal with the tube amp. It will save your life looking for tone. Trust me.
GEAR
Epiphone LesPaul 100
Fender FM212R 100watt
Pawn Shop Strat ripoff
Fender G-Dec
Digitech RP80

GETTING SOON
Jackson RR3 Pro Series
CFH Wah
Quote by KirknRandall
I hate to be stereotypical, but the Valveking is a hell of alot better than the MG.
The Valveking comes in 50 watts, and 100watts, but 50watts will be enough because tube amps sound alot louder than solid states.
or if your going for a really big sound. get the bugera 333XL (i think thats what its called, im saying it off the top of my head right now) with the cab. Incredible sound for under 1000$.

cheers.

EDIT: Get a good overdrive pedal with the tube amp. It will save your life looking for tone. Trust me.

Man, this guy wants to buy something in the price of Marshall MG50 or cheaper, suggesting Bugera doesn't help
But I can agree with Valveking, it's near the price of MG50 (maybe just don't buy Seymour-Duncan pickup, but something cheaper). The Valveking's distortion isn't very good, but you could easily achieve thing almost broken-up clean sounds. And simply use your DS-2 for distortion.
Now that you metion it, I have heard alot of bad stuff about the mg. I havnt really tryed out the amp but iv seen my friend play off of 1 before and i though it sounded good for some reason, as you can tell i dont know much about amps.

well iv got 700 dollars i am welling to spend on all of it, and if i wait for my birthday in a month ill probably get 200 more.

so max i would be spending is 900$ total.
the pedal is $80
the pickup is $75
and 700 or so on the amp. But just because i have 700 to spend doesnt mean i want to spend it all so if thier is a cheaper alternive good amp out there let me know
Last edited by scott008 at Jun 29, 2008,
Ok, so here it goes:

For BOSS DS-2, feel free to buy used. They're built like tanks, so buying an used one is completely safe, and you can save 30-40 bucks. Buy new if you really want to, but if I were you I'd buy used.

Installing a pickup worth 75$ in a guitar worth 100$ isn't that good, because the wood doesn't give you a good tone. Still, for punk/Nirvana-like grunge it isn't a problem at all, and when you buy a good guitar in future you can swap the hot rails to your new guitar. I've never played on guitar with Hot Rails, but judging from description they seem to be perfect for heavy punk.

If you want to spend less on amp, buy a Valveking. Their tone isn't the best, and as far as I know they are made in China - but for slightly dirty clean tones it should do the job. Another advantage is that it has plenty of power (50 watt tube is a LOT louder than 50 watt SS), and it's cheap. For 400$ it's a good deal, really. Also, look - if you buy a Valveking, you can also buy a bit better guitar for 200-300 bucks, which will be more playable than basic Squier.
for the amp maybe a B-52 AT112 60W combo.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2