Hey everyone!

Well let's see..

I just ordered a Fender Metalhead cabinet from ebay the other day. I know they don't make them anymore but I needed one because they are very good for my taste I think.

It showed on ebay that the cabinet came with the head ( from the picture anyway).

But it turns out that I had only ordered the cabinet so now I need some recommendations for another head. I can still order a fender metalhead HEAD to go along with the cabinet but I don't have the money a this time being. So for right now I need someone to give me some suggestions before I go and buy the Fender Metalhead.

SO. I'm looking for an EXTREMELY heavy sound.. I've heard the Metalhead and there's NOTHING I've seen so powerful in distorted for its Solid-state type. The high gain is amazing and I'm trying to find something very much similar to this one.

So I need help with choosing the right head for death metal sounding.

???? anyone ?????

Thank you everyone, it would be very much appreciated if you can help me with finding the right one.
hey bro, not to burst a bubble or anything, but the fender metalhead is a joke. don't waste ur money on it. get a peavey 5150 instead! insane gain. all tube. it will be THICK and HEAVY. sounds like ur ear needs a lil more exposure to other amps if you're thinking the fender metalhead is amazing distortion.

hopefully you'll hear the difference in the 5150!!!

i pray that you don't spend that kinda money on a SS amp....

if nothing else, get a randall RG50 and upgrade the tubes.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
peaveys a good bet. those metalhead cabs aren't really the greatest tho, buddy of mine had the halfstack, most of the suckness came from the head. sort of an old gimmick which is why they dont' make em anymore.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
yeah, i'd advise against the metalhead. both the guitarists in my band have them, and when on low volume they sound okay, but turned up its just a mess, you can hardly make out anything.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by slash_rocks2005
hey bro, not to burst a bubble or anything, but the fender metalhead is a joke. don't waste ur money on it. get a peavey 5150 instead! insane gain. all tube. it will be THICK and HEAVY. sounds like ur ear needs a lil more exposure to other amps if you're thinking the fender metalhead is amazing distortion.

hopefully you'll hear the difference in the 5150!!!

i pray that you don't spend that kinda money on a SS amp....

if nothing else, get a randall RG50 and upgrade the tubes.

Awesome man thanks a lot.. I needed an honest opinion like yours.. i mean from what i heard out of the MH. it was amazing but hey ill definitely check out the Peavey 5150.

whats the difference though between the 6505 and the 5150?
Quote by Whitechapel360
Awesome man thanks a lot.. I needed an honest opinion like yours.. i mean from what i heard out of the MH. it was amazing but hey ill definitely check out the Peavey 5150.

whats the difference though between the 6505 and the 5150?

There isn't one. They're the same amp, just the 6505 is under a different model name because Eddie Van Halen (who helped design the amp) owns the 5150 name but Peavey owns the circuitry. I think you'd be better off with a well-conditioned 5150 because my personal belief is that they were made with better (not different entirely, just higher quality) parts from the factory, but some will disagree.

You could find a used 5150 head from anywhere between $500-$750. I've had a friend buy 2 of them for $500, you just need to look around.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Ampeg VH140C baby. There's a good deal on fleabay right now. I have one that I really like.
Quote by rwalby9
There isn't one. They're the same amp, just the 6505 is under a different model name because Eddie Van Halen (who helped design the amp) owns the 5150 name but Peavey owns the circuitry. I think you'd be better off with a well-conditioned 5150 because my personal belief is that they were made with better (not different entirely, just higher quality) parts from the factory, but some will disagree.

You could find a used 5150 head from anywhere between $500-$750. I've had a friend buy 2 of them for $500, you just need to look around.

Ohhh i gotcha..

well you really helped. I'm putting your opinion highly into consideration.. i just need to go try one out at a near by music center.

I really appreciate your help. thanks!
I vote VHT or Soldano, but I can't find a budget anywhere.

5150 if you have a budget.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
yeah isnt that band just the pinnicle of grimness. christian hardcore metal.

peaveys should do well. i can just reccomend that whatever you get, a booster or overdrive pedal will nearly always help get a thicker, ballsier sound.
I'd have to advise against the Metalhead as well. There was a guy around town selling his for 450$ because it was so bad, and it was the cab and head. I remember playing it at the local music store one day but it was at lower volumes and sounded decent, but from what I have heard they suck balls at high volumes, and that isn't the best when you have a stack in your room to only practise on.
Quote by DW#
Ampeg VH140C baby. There's a good deal on fleabay right now. I have one that I really like.

If you're gonna go solid-state, go with the king of the analog/ss world.

This is the official amp of 90s death metal. Cannibal Corpse, Suffocation, Dying Fetus, Assuck...
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Last edited by STABxYOU at Jul 3, 2008,