So my pop-punk/rock band is starting to get really serious, and I only have a practice amp that keeps up with a drum set (played with dowels) in a basement. We're discussing recording a professional EP, and possibly some East Coast touring in the next year or so. I think it's time to spend some serious cash on an all-out pro bass rig.

What I'm using from my current setup:
Fender HWY1 P-Bass with Dimarzio Split P Humbuckers
Mini Kaoss Pad
Jimi Hendrix Wah (occasionally...I may cut this out altogether)

Plans:
Ampeg SVT3Pro
Power conditioner
I originally wanted a rack tuner, but the reviews are horrible for the Korg ones. Anyone have a better option other than a Boss TU2?

Ampeg 410HLF cabinet
Bass Big Muff (whenever that comes out)

I'm looking for that thick, punchy, and sometimes bubbly pop-punk tone. Chris #2 from Anti-Flag uses an SVT3Pro, and I love his bass tone (my playing style is VERY similar to his as well). I'm looking for something like that which can also do Green Day (basically the same thing I guess) tones.

My friend's dad is a sales manager at Sam Ash so he gave me his card and said to call him when I'm ready. I'm probably gonna work two jobs all summer to get the cash for this, so I want to be sure I'm making the right choice.

Any input?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Last edited by Sid McCall at Jun 29, 2008,
Well, thanks I guess. My guitar rig is good to go though, I'm looking for Bass input today.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by uvq
umm, no except, Gibson SG's are great guitars

That was bloody useful advice...

I think what stuff your planning to get will do very nicely for the tone you like, i'm in a pop-punk band as well and I have to say those tones are pretty much the kinda stuff you want. When I tried out an SVT3 I was blown away by it being so much better than my current amp at the time (20w pile o' ****) as for your bass, that should do you for a rather long time unless you want something like the punch from a Stingrays 'bucker which would obviously required that bass, enough on that anyway.

And good luck with your EP and tour mate, hope it all goes well
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
How often do you use your kaoss pad on bass? Problem I find with mine is that you effect the signal going in only when you touch the pad...you can't bypass the pad and bring it into effect when you want to
Sounds like a good rig. I like the korg rack tuners pretty well, but the next best thing is the boss tu2. The power conditioner is also a great idea. It really sucks to show up to a venue with dirty power especially when you have a tube amp like my self. My only real advice concerns your cabinet. the 410hfl is a great cab, but I got to a/b the 410hfl and an avatar neo 410. They sounded very similar and I couldn't determine a winner just by tone. Then I saw that the avatar weighs about 60 lbs and the ampeg about 110 lbs not to meniton the avatar was like $300 cheaper. Needless to say I went with the avatar. Good luck with everything!
Well, if you want the exact Ampeg tone, then your head is dead on, but if you want some versatility (Ampegs are NOT known for that) you might want to look somewhere else. I'd suggest Carvin, Peavey, or Ashdown for that.

But if you do use the SVT, I'd suggest going ahead and getting the 4x10, but adding a 1x15", or an 1x18" to beef'n up your lows.
Also, It's probably a non issue, since you will be miced or lined into the PA at all venues you play, but my time spent fiddling with the 3pro lead me to the conclusion that it would certainly struggle for volume at larger venues. Just food for thought there, maybe someone with more than a few hours worth of svt3pro experience will have a little more detail for you.
Quote by Fozzie3000
How often do you use your kaoss pad on bass? Problem I find with mine is that you effect the signal going in only when you touch the pad...you can't bypass the pad and bring it into effect when you want to

I just slide my finger to a good spot (usually some sort of weird filter) and hit the 'hold' button. I don't really use it for live parameter changes so much.

And thanks for all the advice, especially the Avatar advice. I'd love to get one of those, but since I have a hookup at Sam Ash, is there a particular brand sold there that makes good cabs that are cheaper than the Ampeg cab?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
If you like how ampegs sound then go with the ampeg. I'm not impressed by ampeg, ive heard plenty of ampeg rigs and they all sound the same with different price tags.
In my opinion, at the SVT3PRO's price point, the amp is just way too simple and underpowered. People always say "you have a PA lalalalalalala" but I've played many a gig where there was no bass in the monitor mix, and the amp alone provided stage volume. My Carvin head and 212 was pushing 300W and I had to give it a good crank to get a useable volume out of it. I mean, that's fine, but when I get my SWR I can fill out bigger stages. There's absolutely no such thing as too much headroom. My Carvin head pushes 300W, but if I brought a second cab, I'd get 600W. With the 3PRO, you really don't have that luxury. I think a full stack pushing 450W is pointless. 600W is borderline underpowered with a full stack. If you're looking into that power level, you should really look into high-quality combos, like the SWR Redhead or Fender 400PRO. I mean, the 1100W SVT-6PRO is only a few hundred dollars more than the 3PRO.

What do I recommend if you want a half-stack instead of a top of the line combo? The only recommendation I'd have is much more power, but I can't not recommend Carvin in a situation like this. You can get nearly three times the headroom for about half the price. I mean, if you get the BX1200/410NEO half-stack package, you'll have a 1200W 410 half-stack. If you want to add another cab, it has 2 separate power amps. So do the Eden WT800, Ampeg SVT-4PRO, or my SWR SM-900, but they're in the ~$1500 area.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
^ How is the SWR Redhead? I've been considering one of those for a long time, I've always liked SWR. Can it get the kind of tones that I'm looking for?

What about SWR half stacks in general? Keep in mind, I'll be saving a few hundred bucks on whatever I purchase if I buy it new (or if they have something awesome used) at Sam Ash.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Last edited by Sid McCall at Jul 1, 2008,
SWR, even though they might not be the 'newest' company, is very rooted in modern bass tone. Check out their endorsees - Jimmy Haslip, Marcus, Stanley, etc. They all have very bright, very clear bass tones. Great flexibility and EQ. Jon Herrerra said it best - you can't use (his stupid faggy words he insists on using like) gooey, chocolate, or syrupy to describe your tone, and that may or may not be your thing. Bass Player reviewed the revamped Red Head in it's newest issue.

Oh, and FWIW, JPJ used an SWR SM-900 at 02.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Sid McCall
I just slide my finger to a good spot (usually some sort of weird filter) and hit the 'hold' button. I don't really use it for live parameter changes so much

Yeah it hit me when I mentioned it, the good old hold button, its the only saviour on that thing, thank **** I got it for cheap and its not been a total waste of my money