Alright so i have the Gibson guitar cleaning pack. I have 2 guitars with Rosewood fretboards. I used the fretboard cleaner on my C-1 a long time ago. Now on the fretboard theres little white marks.....

whats should i do to fix it?

Have you look at the pictures.

This is the fretboard on the c-1. The other guitar is a c-7 hellraiser and it doesn't have these white marks.

Thanks.
Attachments:
fretboard.JPG
fretboard1.JPG
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
I did the same thing with my fretboard and never got around to actually fixing it.
I always thought it meant it was dry, but i'm not sure. Rub it down with lemon oil fretboard cleaner/conditioner. Then put a lot on there and let it sit and soak into the wood, repeat if needed.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
did both of you use the Gibson fretboard cleaner, or something else?

^ i've been reading a bit and apparently lemon oil isn't great for fretboards.
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
UG Gain Whore
Looks like its just seaped into the grain of the fretboard and dried.

Should stick to lemon oil as far as fretboards go. Always best to stick with something natural when wood is concerned.
Quote by Edgey_15
Looks like its just seaped into the grain of the fretboard and dried.

Should stick to lemon oil as far as fretboards go. Always best to stick with something natural when wood is concerned.
I've done some reading and apparently lemon oil isn't good either.
-Peavey 6505+
UG Gain Whore
I dunno, I used to have that when I don't remove the remnants of dirt (the ones that you won't be able to remove immediately just by rubbing a cloth).

I found that using steel wool (the finest grade, which would be... 0000 or something along those) would get them out, of course with the exception of having too much pressure on the steel wool that it damages the wood.

I don't know but when I used that and put lemon oil, the fretboard on my 560 was nearly (if not as good) as new, I'd say.
Last edited by Archeo at Jun 29, 2008,
Not to hi-jack the thread or anything (because it seems the question has already been answered), the same thing happen to mine. But instead of the fretboard it was the body. If it's not gonna come out I'm fine with that, however I'd like to know how to take it out. Would lemon oil work as well?
Quote by tourniquett
Not to hi-jack the thread or anything (because it seems the question has already been answered), the same thing happen to mine. But instead of the fretboard it was the body. If it's not gonna come out I'm fine with that, however I'd like to know how to take it out. Would lemon oil work as well?
Im afraid the answer has not been answered yet because i've been reading and apparently Lemon oil is bad for the fretboard after a year or so....

As for you, what kind of finish do you have?
-Peavey 6505+
UG Gain Whore
Quote by jerm__
Im afraid the answer has not been answered yet because i've been reading and apparently Lemon oil is bad for the fretboard after a year or so....

As for you, what kind of finish do you have?

Ah. Well I heard that using the steel wool was the way to go. So yeah....

It's just a clear finish over mahogany wood.

http://www.kellyindustries.com/guitars/gibson_les_paul_vintage_mahogany.html
^^Thats 3 times youve said that. I have found arguments many ways. Some say dont use anything, some say use the official high priced guitar stuff, and some that say use lemon oil and some that say lemon oil is bad. TS anything with wax in it will build up and leave gunk behind. Not sure what to tell you on the cleaner. But regular lemon oil not pledge or stuff like that is what I use on my fretboards. Hasnt hurt one yet I dont use it but 2 times a year.
Quote by tourniquett
Ah. Well I heard that using the steel wool was the way to go. So yeah....

It's just a clear finish over mahogany wood.

http://www.kellyindustries.com/guitars/gibson_les_paul_vintage_mahogany.html

Aw, i think its because you need to get the Gibson Vintage guitar cleaning pack that i have. Theres 3 bottles, one of them is specifically for Vintage finishes. The bottle is called "Restorative Finish Cream". Its only supposed to be used on those finishes.
-Peavey 6505+
UG Gain Whore
Quote by jerm__
Aw, i think its because you need to get the Gibson Vintage guitar cleaning pack that i have. Theres 3 bottles, one of them is specifically for Vintage finishes. The bottle is called "Restorative Finish Cream". Its only supposed to be used on those finishes.

Cool. Thanks!
Ok so I just went through the same problem. According to your second picture your fretboard is dry, crazy dry. What you need to do is take off all your string and apply bore oil to the fretboard by putting a few drops of it on each fret and spread it around on each fret. Then you let it sit for maybe about three hours and if it is still dry you need to apply more. When buying bore oil you need to make sure you are buying it for wood and not that stuff that is used to clean rifles. They sold bore oil at my local music shop though.

After that you apply all the oil just put new strings on and your all set.

Hope that helps
looks like it is answered but i just posted this link for someone else so it is on my clipboard but read thru this if you if you want.

Don't use 100% lemon oil (too acidic) or Pledge type products.
Do use Lemon Oil Spray for fretboards (GHS, Dr. Stringfellow, Dunlop all make it).

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=842673&highlight=Rosewood+Fretboards
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
looks like it is answered but i just posted this link for someone else so it is on my clipboard but read thru this if you if you want.

Do use Lemon Oil Spray for fretboards (GHS, Dr. Stringfellow, Dunlop all make it).

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=842673&highlight=Rosewood+Fretboards

Thanks a lot man, that thread is exactly what happens to my guitar.

In conclusion, i think my fretboard is just too dry therefore i much soak in some fretboard cleaner?
-Peavey 6505+
UG Gain Whore
the guitar has a maple finish over the fretboard

and lemon oil doesn't go well with maple.......
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Wow, man. I use Dr. Stringfellow all the time, but I've never used it on just the board.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.