I have an Ibanez with 'Designed by EMG' pickups where I finally put a pair of EMG 81s in. The price was good (I think) at $60 a pickup brand new.

Installation was fairly simple even though I had to rush a bit because I needed to meet someone. The only issues I had were:

The resister between the nobs was just long enough when spread to fit in my guitars body. Another centimeter and I think I would have had to solder an extension.

The output jack didn't quite line up with the cavity to feed the three wires. I had to bend them on the jack to get it to fit. When I first hooked in I thought I had a short because it cut in and out with moving the cable but after using a different cable it has not cut out once, even with spinning the cable or putting pressure on it.

Soldering the frayed portion of the lead to the volume back was challanging the second time. The first pickup lead just went on and the second one gave me fits (and I was rushing by then ). EMG should put some sort of post on it or pre solder a bed for you as the solder wasn't sticking well. I also had to strip a lot of the plastic casing away to expose the shielding because my switch was much further away then the cable allowed without removing it.

I will say if you plan on doing this, take your time. I didn't start to rush until I found out mid way that I had to meet someone. It worked out great though.

Now for the important thing - sound. It was well worth the investment. My palm mutes on 'chugging' for metal styles are much more aggressive now. I love it. The sustain is greatly improved and I'm a new crappy guitarist but I can finally start practicing some finger taps because my old pickups just didn't cut it. I thought it was all me (technique) but in one day practicing them with my new pickups I've made much more progress on them sounding right.

Overall I am so gear satisfied now. I also picked up a TS9 and feed into a blackheart combo. I play mainly Maiden and Metallica. Eventually I do want another guitar totally different from this one. Something more suited to play more of a classic rock sound will be next, way down the road.
The resister between the nobs was just long enough when spread to fit in my guitars body. Another centimeter and I think I would have had to solder an extension.

yes i had this problem with my rg. What I do is leave the old tone knob in for looks. The tone knob to the emg i keep maxed on 10 and just leave it laying back there. Ghetto style lol. But no one can tell and I never take my tone knob down i always keep it on 10 so its not like i need it. that way you aint got to go through all the other crap. Unless you are one of these people that use the tone knob. Me and my friends never use the tone knob so when i installed theirs i did it the same way. From the outside you can't tell. Of course theres a lot of people here that won't like that. But its like with a lot of signature guitars that dont even have tone knobs because a lot of people dont use them.
you are right about taking your time also. One time I installed a passive pickup and was in a hurry and burnt the damn switch up. lol
Yeah, I do use my tone actually often. If I needed to extend the length of the spread, I would have used a nice piece of solid wire.
do the 18v mod to it in a few weeks. it'll blow your mind...
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by Highwaytohell
What amp are you running that beast thru?

I got the blackheart 3/5 watt combo and either use my pocket pod or TS9 pedal.

I also have a Peavey Windsor half stack 100w but I do not use it as it's just way to loud for my little house. I am going to move it on craigslist hopefully soon. I also have a cube 30x which was my first amp that I need to unload. Again, I can't state enough how happy I am now with the tone of the 81s into the ts9 or pod fed into the blackheart.
Last edited by warped_1 at Jun 29, 2008,
Quote by UnsignedRecords
do the 18v mod to it in a few weeks. it'll blow your mind...

I'm not up to date on this and will now research it