So i recently acquired my Valve Junior head and cab, and i can honestly say to a fair noob to tubes that it has some very sexy cleans...

HOWEVER im wanting to get some possible nice gain out of it, since its the best practise amp i have near me id like to get some versatility.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/maxon_rod881.htm?partner_id=79570

^ this is what ive thought about, specs ive read on it say it can get from clean boost to full metal tones, which would be nice, but anyone had any experience with it?

Also, i now have a very good paying summer job, money isnt much of a value at the moment.

Also bear in mind, im thinking of buying something bigger all tube at the end of the summer, and i hope a pedal like this can add some extra sound shaping that would be worthwhile to that.

Opinions? suggestions?
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
ohh i thought vj was... nevermind
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 81TW/89
Fender 60th Anniversary Strat with Gibson P/Us
Line 6 Spider III half stack
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech RP50
Quote by jman141
ohh i thought vj was... nevermind

....funny
Quote by Shred Head

Quote by StrayCatBlues

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
Those are pretty sweet and would go great with about any amp. As a secondary though get a decent eq. between the 2 you'll probably be happier with the Vj.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
Those are pretty sweet and would go great with about any amp. As a secondary though get a decent eq. between the 2 you'll probably be happier with the Vj.

Yeah i was thinking of getting an MXR 10 band too, i know those are good but i was thinking of waiting til i get a bigger amp first (that will probably be a fireball ) Because this pedal has the basic 3 band on it anyway.

Are tube ODs much more worthwhile than say a tubescreamer? in the same way an all tube amp is better than solid state? or is it fairly negligable
Quote by Shred Head

Quote by StrayCatBlues

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
Depends on the amp. to a certain degree. I really don't care for my ts 808 through the Vj, it's ok, but I prefer the screamer model in my pod for low volumes. the ts seems to work better on my windsor head. The tubes are never even close to saturated on the windsor however and i'm not sure how much that has to do with it. Make sure you try before you buy. You don't get the same level of performance with every amp you plug into.

in all cases though the tube amps overdrive is usually better on it's own. Just a question of how much you have and where the sweet spot is.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Last edited by scott58 at Jun 29, 2008,
Quote by chimpinatux
Yeah i was thinking of getting an MXR 10 band too, i know those are good but i was thinking of waiting til i get a bigger amp first (that will probably be a fireball ) Because this pedal has the basic 3 band on it anyway.

Are tube ODs much more worthwhile than say a tubescreamer? in the same way an all tube amp is better than solid state? or is it fairly negligable

Tube pedals are not better than solid state pedals.
The VJ just isn't made for brutal tone in my opinion. Of course you can get some stuff up and make it happen but id just save up and get another amp for gain and use the vj for cleans.
That pedal costs so much I think you'd be better off putting at least some of that money into the amp fund. Besides, even if it has a good distortion tone, the amp you'll be getting will probably have a better one (if you're getting a good high gain head) so you might not use it that much.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
That pedal costs so much I think you'd be better off putting at least some of that money into the amp fund. Besides, even if it has a good distortion tone, the amp you'll be getting will probably have a better one (if you're getting a good high gain head) so you might not use it that much.

160 is preety good for a high-class distortion pedal
you must be one of those people who thinks that most pedals are under 100... ala boss.

But this guy isn't looking for a new amp...
The other thing you need to consider is the cabinet. It's not going to be just about getting the right OD pedal. With what your talking about you'll easily exceed the capabilities of the Vj cab (if that's what you plan on using). I push the limits of mine on a daily basis with this POD. i see a 4x12 in my Vj's future.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by Highwaytohell

Sort of true, my amount of disposable income this summer will be massive so i have ridiclous amounts to spend. im asking because i dont want to waste money, but this seems like a very good pedal

(and yes i will be buying a sweet amp soon im just in the mood for buying pedals too)
Quote by Shred Head

Quote by StrayCatBlues

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
the MXR 10-band EQ is really damn good. As for an OD i really like my Maxon OD-9.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
You won't get br00talz out of a VJ without using a distortion pedal, and even then it won't sound good.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
You won't get br00talz out of a VJ without using a distortion pedal, and even then it won't sound good.
I disagree.

It depends entirely on how good the distortion pedal is

I've modded my Valve Junior extensively... I've not heard any really /pleasant/ distorted tones out of it, and the more gain there is the harsher it gets. You'll like it for a while but eventually you'll get bored of it. Invest in a couple quality dirt pedals, or even better an amp suited to brootalz!
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
I disagree.

It depends entirely on how good the distortion pedal is

I've modded my Valve Junior extensively... I've not heard any really /pleasant/ distorted tones out of it, and the more gain there is the harsher it gets. You'll like it for a while but eventually you'll get bored of it. Invest in a couple quality dirt pedals, or even better an amp suited to brootalz!

It's got too small a speaker to do metal convincingly, and with the kind of gain levels "br00talz" implies the amp might distort a bit.

There are far better things to spend your money on than a VJ basically, especially for metulz.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Ain't gonna happen.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Highwaytohell
160 is preety good for a high-class distortion pedal
you must be one of those people who thinks that most pedals are under 100... ala boss.

I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to the TS. The pedal he's looking at costs 269e. For comparison his Valve Junior costs about 121e.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.