Page 1 of 2
Decibel Mag Roundtable Discusses Hipster Metal

Mostly, it's a bunch of label owners who profit from ruining metal with bull**** like The Sword defending the product they're pimping. Ironically, the only reasonable commentary comes from indie-f@g frontman John Darnielle, who obviously has a better grasp on where music like this is coming from than the douchebags who run metal labels.

I hear that White Stripes/Wolfmother thing—they’re huge there in Australia; they just count as a rock band over there. I always feel like when I hear hipster metal, I assume we’re talking about Southern Lord, because that’s who is getting all the ink now. I feel like all that’s happening is the same sort of thing that happened with rap around ’98-‘99. The indie rock people—many of whom get jobs writing, especially for middle and mainstream outlets like, you know, eventually the New York Times and Harp—the indie rock kids sort of got tired of their own little ghetto and they start branching out. They start listening to a little metal, but they sort of want to describe the metal in terms that makes it part of their shtick instead of its own universe.

This is right on the money, but it needs to be taken one step further. Most of the music that the indie hipsters have latched on to (Sunn, Mastodon, Wolves in the Throne Room etc.) is, for all intents and purposes, indie rock played in a metal idiom.
Indie kids listening to sunn 0)))? Honestly, I don't find anything that can link arctic monkeys to ambient drone music. :P

But yeah, I do get what you're saying, but when I think of "hipster" kind of metal, stuff like Protest the hero, Between the Buried and Me, and The Fall of Troy comes to mind. Ya know, the artsy kinda stuff. Of course, there's the "xxxxxHARDXCORExxxx" kids who listen to the stereotypical Atreyu/ Bring me the Horizon/ Bullet for my valentine kind of stuff, but I think there's a big difference between indie kids and -core kids. I don't think stuff like The Sword and Megasus are all that bad, though, I just think it's trying to hard to be traditional (Also, does anybody think those kind of bands are pretty for catering guitar hero?).

I personally prefer the hipster indie metal MUCH more than the emo/hardcore kid metal. The legit hardcore guys with black shorts and muscle shirts that say "PANTERA RUUUUUULES" are okay to an extent, though.

I think I went extremely off-topic.
Last edited by piratemetalhead at Jun 29, 2008,
R. O. F. L.

Seriously. I nearly fell off my chair reading this thread title.

Hipster Metal
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Indie kids listen to Wolves In The Throne Room ?, i guess you learn something new every day.
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

Quote by Riffmast
Indie kids listen to Wolves In The Throne Room ?, i guess you learn something new every day.

Yeah I mean... what the hell?
I just don't understand whats so indie about Sunn or Wolves In The Throne Room, maybe Laeth could emphasize what he finds so indie about these bands.
Quote by Steve08

Fantastic.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
Shit, I better throw away my Mastodon CDs if i'm to retain what little remains of my credibility.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Quote by piratemetalhead
The legit hardcore guys with black shorts and muscle shirts that say "PANTERA RUUUUUULES" are okay to an extent, though.

I always thought the "legit" hardcore kids listened to, you know, hardcore.
And you can't spell funeral
without fun
hope you had a good time
cuz now your life is done
Well guys rather then dismissing his opinion right away. Why not actually turn this into a discussion, even if i don't agree with Laeth allot of the time he makes some very good points on music. I'm interested in seeing his side of the arguement to why these bands are "hipster indie music". As of now i certainly don't agree though.
Quote by Steve08

Quote by Laeth MacLaurie
This is right on the money, but it needs to be taken one step further. Most of the music that the indie hipsters have latched on to (Sunn, Mastodon, Wolves in the Throne Room etc.) is, for all intents and purposes, indie rock played in a metal idiom.

The following statement describes this attitude perfectly:

Darnielle: When it comes down to their scene, metal fans are purists. They don’t want outside attention. Any time there’s any band that can make any noise outside of that circle, they’re going to brand them as poseurs, false metal, or hipster metal.

Mastodon and Wolves in the Throne Room have nothing to do with indie rock. A few non-metal fans have discovered them, and enjoyed their music. Metal fans see the indie fans listening to these bands and go "No! Bad indie fans!" and begin to reject the bands because of this.

Metal has always been an underground genre. There was plenty of success for it in the 1980's, but the really successful bands from that era had more than a few traits in common with straight-up rock music (i.e. Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Metallica). The only "extreme" band from that era to see major success was Slayer.

However, now the more extreme bands are getting more and more popular, and now the metal fans, who have long been separated from the rest of the music world, don't know how to deal with it. They've seen people with no experience in metal listening to some of their bands, and *gasp* even seen metal bands combine their metal influences with other genres and appeal to fans of those other genres! Because the metal fans have never seen this before, they lash against it, and by doing so perpetuate the elitist metalhead stereotype.

What metalheads need to do is realize that A) popularity can only help the scene, and B) outside influences aren't a bad thing, as they contribute to the growth and evolution of music as a whole. All That Remains and Lamb of God are certainly metal bands, but because they take influence from hardcore music and hardcore fans listen to them and go to their shows, they get branded as "not metal" by metalheads. This happens despite that fact that Motorhead and Iron Maiden take considerable influence from punk rock, Atheist take considerable influence from jazz, and Ensiferum take considerable influence from folk music; by that logic, those bands wouldn't be metal either.

So, unless you can come up with actual musical reasons why Wolves in the Throne Room are indie instead of metal, you're totally wrong.
Southern Lord have become really popular amongst indie types but I don't think it'll last. It's great to suddenly be cool for listening to Earth and Sunn but equally I'd like the hype around a lot of these bands to die down a bit and the scenesters to fuck off.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Nearly every post he has made is weird in some way.

Quote by Riffmast
Well guys rather then dismissing his opinion right away. Why not actually turn this into a discussion, even if i don't agree with Laeth allot of the time he makes some very good points on music. I'm interested in seeing his side of the arguement to why these bands are "hipster indie music". As of now i certainly don't agree though.

+1
Quote by Scourge441
*Post of absolute truth*

I completely agree.

I also thought this was hillarious.

Darnielle: That was why I used to wear a shirt and tie to my metal shows, because then they would just assume I was a label rep and leave me alone.

Gross: I wore a suit to a hip-hop show once and it totally worked.

Darnielle: I did the same thing! The guy started busting rhymes at me out of nowhere. He just walks up to me and starts giving me his flow.
^no one even knows who you are
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Quote by Kepulix
^no one even knows who you are

Well yeah, he registered today
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by Scourge441
The following statement describes this attitude perfectly:

Mastodon and Wolves in the Throne Room have nothing to do with indie rock. A few non-metal fans have discovered them, and enjoyed their music. Metal fans see the indie fans listening to these bands and go "No! Bad indie fans!" and begin to reject the bands because of this.

Metal has always been an underground genre. There was plenty of success for it in the 1980's, but the really successful bands from that era had more than a few traits in common with straight-up rock music (i.e. Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Metallica). The only "extreme" band from that era to see major success was Slayer.

However, now the more extreme bands are getting more and more popular, and now the metal fans, who have long been separated from the rest of the music world, don't know how to deal with it. They've seen people with no experience in metal listening to some of their bands, and *gasp* even seen metal bands combine their metal influences with other genres and appeal to fans of those other genres! Because the metal fans have never seen this before, they lash against it, and by doing so perpetuate the elitist metalhead stereotype.

What metalheads need to do is realize that A) popularity can only help the scene, and B) outside influences aren't a bad thing, as they contribute to the growth and evolution of music as a whole. All That Remains and Lamb of God are certainly metal bands, but because they take influence from hardcore music and hardcore fans listen to them and go to their shows, they get branded as "not metal" by metalheads. This happens despite that fact that Motorhead and Iron Maiden take considerable influence from punk rock, Atheist take considerable influence from jazz, and Ensiferum take considerable influence from folk music; by that logic, those bands wouldn't be metal either.

So, unless you can come up with actual musical reasons why Wolves in the Throne Room are indie instead of metal, you're totally wrong.

This.

Laeth, you sir, are a ****ing idiot.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Scourge has...beaten the thread. It's... it's all over.

We've made it.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
Quote by Scourge441
Darnielle: When it comes down to their scene, metal fans are purists. They don’t want outside attention. Any time there’s any band that can make any noise outside of that circle, they’re going to brand them as poseurs, false metal, or hipster metal.

This is a ludicrous statement that only makes sense if you don't understand metal (as an indie-f@g frontman can be confidently expected to do). Metal is a fundamentally hybrid artform - part punk, part rock, part classical and part something entirely new - how can anyone think that 'purity' is the concern being raised here? The problem isn't that hybrids suck, the problem is that some hybrids don't work. You can breed a horse and zebra, and you might get an interesting offspring, but you breed a zebra and a scorpion, and chances are, all you're getting is a zebra with a swollen dick.
Quote by dminishedthingy
how eloquently phrased
and i'd say that metalcore does work, judging by its popularity

But popularity does not equal quality. I think most metalcore is garbage personally. But still Laeth, what parts of Wolves and Sunn do you find indie ?. Your obviusly an intellegnt guy so i want to hear your reasoning on this subject.
Quote by Steve08

What is indie anyway? Southern Lord is certainly an independent label. Greg and Stephen have a do-it-themselves attitude that's very characteristic of self-produced and self-released music. It's clearly not the kind of stuff a major would search for, sign and release.
Quote by Laeth MacLaurie
This is a ludicrous statement that only makes sense if you don't understand metal (as an indie-f@g frontman can be confidently expected to do). Metal is a fundamentally hybrid artform - part punk, part rock, part classical and part something entirely new - how can anyone think that 'purity' is the concern being raised here?

Right. The fact that he plays indie automatically makes him a retard, right?

The issue he's talking about has nothing to do with hybrid bands. It has to do with people from outside the metal scene listening to metal bands (i.e. the hardcore kids listening to Behemoth). The genre of the metal/hybrid bands in question is irrelevant, and his statement quite accurately describes the way metalheads typically react to this kind of situation.

Quote by Laeth MacLaurie
The problem isn't that hybrids suck, the problem is that some hybrids don't work. You can breed a horse and zebra, and you might get an interesting offspring, but you breed a zebra and a scorpion, and chances are, all you're getting is a zebra with a swollen dick.

Any hybrid will work if the composer approaches it the right way (obviously, whether or not the hybrid "works" is the listener's opinion, but that's a non-issue).

And, again, the issue of hybrids isn't what they're talking about. It's just that the hybrids in question are typically the subject of the metalhead's ire.
Quote by dminishedthingy
well now that you're back, could you explain to us how Sunn O))) is indie?

I'm more interested in how Wolves in the Throne Room and Mastodon are indie. And I've never seen an "indie-f@g" (his words) who knows either of those bands.
Laeth, you are definitely the biggest Metal elitist I have ever encountered. It sound to me that anything that isn't Classic Gothenburg Melodic Death or traditional Death Metal is "teh gheyz!!!!". Hipster Metal? What the crap, dude? Mastodon, for one, is an outstanding band, and they are truly original. Just because they aren't playing drop Z guitars and growling doesn't mean they aren't Metal. Your view of Metal is so flawed, man.
DETHKLOK IS TEH ROXORZ!!!
I find that anything Laeth says should go in the "Wow, you are an idiot" section of life.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Slaytanic1993
I find that anything Laeth says should go in the "Wow, you are an idiot" section of life.

I'm still surprised the guy hasn't been banned yet. I've been gone for 3 days, and I come back to see that he's still poisoning these forums.
DETHKLOK IS TEH ROXORZ!!!
I report some of his posts...

Hoping the mods will give sympathy.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
He's only stating his opinions... The mods don't ban people for that.

I don't agree with them, but I don't think he should be banned because I like to read funny posts such as these.

Also I like to argue, so maybe I'll do that some day too.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia

Do you folks like folk?
Page 1 of 2