So I have a crappy telecaster that I wouldn't mind modifying to make it better. But while I was thinking about it, I didn't have an answer as to what makes a guitar great. So I have come to you guys, wanting to know what makes a guitar sound great.

Now I am talking about the sound of the guitar, and nothing to do with the amp (because we all know an amp is a major part of great sound). Are the pickups the only thing on a guitar that make or break it? or does the wiring on the guitar have something to do with it. Reason I ask is because if it's the pickups that make of break the guitar, than I can fix that, if it's the wiring, I'll have to do some more research.
good wood and neck construction never hurt

but yeah, new pickups would do great things for you. Fender EWWWWW!!!!
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

as well as good pickups
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
mostly pick ups and the wood of the guitar
My Gear:
Jay Turser Warlock
Baraccuda Strat
Takamine EG523SC
Samick Acoustic
Vox AD50VT
Boss DS-1
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
the guitarist makes the guitar good
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
Quote by hell_monkey
the guitarist makes the guitar good

In general, I agree. I've heard **** guitars run through **** amps sound good because the right guy was playing with them. But (more realistically) as said before, wood, neck, and pickups are the big things.. Sometimes the strings can make a significant difference, as well, but everything else should be what you prefer and what makes you comfortable.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
Last edited by NorfIrIon at Jun 29, 2008,
^^ This is so true...

But let me give you one piece of advice: only think about changing the pickups if your guitar has a reasonable construction quality. I mean, if your guitar buzzs a lot due to some bad fret work, save up for a better guitar, instead of the pickups.

Also, if you have a plywood guitar, that would be another reason to buy a better guitar.

Please note that your guitar will sound a lot better with a pickup upgrade. But the woods and the construction quality will remain the same, so you won't improve the playability of the guitar... sometimes thats more important than the sound.

[]
Guitars:
Jackson WRXT + EMG 81/85
Les Paul
Ibanez SZ320
Amps:
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 30X
Effects:
Dunlop Cry-baby
Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive
Synthetizer:
Roland EXR-5
Quote by VanTheKraut
Fender EWWWWW!!!!

Sit down, infant

What type of tele is it? MIM, squier?
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Quote by PendulousThread
Sit down, infant

What type of tele is it? MIM, squier?

Austin. I hate it, but love it at the same time. It's probably the crappiest brand, but I mean, I love telecasters! I've never had the money for a good one though.
Do u know what wood its made of?
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Quote by PendulousThread
Do u know what wood its made of?

I can't tell for certain the body, but the neck looks like maple with a rosewood fretboard.
Ok, the reason why I ask is cus its fairly pointless putting new pups in a plywood guitar, so see if u can research your axe a lilt o find out more about it.
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
i would add tuning pegs... having crappy ones wont maintain proper tuning and will make your sound crappy if they're not in tune... nothing worse than having a guitar that is out of tune. :-P
By the look of those reviews ur tele is not too bad, with a good set up it should be fine. If you find an element of your tone is lacking then a pick up swap mite be in order, if your having playability issues then as I said, take it to a good tech to set ip up better for you.
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
its trem