Alright so I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but what the hell. So there's a couple songs I'm working at but can't play fluently at certain parts and I'm wondering if I'm using the correct finger placement.

The first one is Steve Vai's Eugene's Trick Bag. So I've got the first part down pretty well now except for the second sweep.

S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S
|----------------8-12-8--------------|--------------------------------- --------|
|-------------10--------10-----------|--------------------9-12p9----------------|
|---------5-9--------------9-5-------|--------------7-9-----------9p7------------|
|-------7---------------------- 7-----|----------6-9---------------------9--6-------|
|-----7------------------------------ |------5-7--------------------------------7--5-|
|-5h8----------------------------5h8|-7---------------------------------------|

--------------------------------------->3 1 3 1 4 1 2 2 4 2 2 1 4 1 3 1

This is the way I've been playing it, but it usually sounds really sloppy at this one part because I have to use my second finger in order to give my pinky the ability to reach that 12. Is this the right way to play it or should I be working on stretching from the 9th to the 12th fret with my pinky? (sorry if its hard to figure out the numbers)

Another more noobish question is one im having with King of the Monsters by Racer X.

|---------------------------------------------------8----5-----------------------------------------|
|--------------------------------------------------------------7----5------------------------------|
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------7----5---------------------|
|-----------7---5-----------------------------------------------------------------7----5----------|
|------------------7---5-------------------------------------------------------------------7----5--|
|------5-------------- ---8----5-------------5-----------------------------------------------------|

Just wondering with stuff like this if I should be barring the 5 or not. Just don't want to be learning stuff the wrong way. Anyway any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Play it like this

S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S
|----------------8-12-8--------------|---------------------4-7p4----------- --------|
|-------------10--------10-----------|------------------5---------5----------|
|---------5-9--------------9-5-------|------------4-7--------------7-4-----------|
|-------7---------------------- 7-----|----------6-------------------------6-------|
|-----7------------------------------ |------5-7--------------------------------7--5-|
|-5h8----------------------------5h8|-7---------------------------------------|

--------------------------------------->3 1 4 3 1 4 21 4 1 24 1 3 4 2

|---------------------------------------------------8----5-----------------------------------------|
|--------------------------------------------------------------7----5------------------------------|
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------7----5---------------------|
|-----------7---5-----------------------------------------------------------------7----5----------|
|------------------7---5-------------------------------------------------------------------7----5--|
|------5-------------- ---8----5-------------5-----------------------------------------------------|

Do not bar the 5th
Last edited by beadhangingOne at Jun 29, 2008,