(new) B-52 100W Tube Head with Tri-Mode Rectifier

+

(used) Peavey ValveKing 4x12 Cab

= Good rig?

I'm on a bit of a budget and I can get the whole shebang from Guitar Center for just under $800 USD. I asked a day or two ago about tube amps people could recommend for me, and people mentioned a bunch of stuff (Mostly Peavey ValveKings and Classics), but I've not seen much about this particular amp.

I took a trip out to Guitar Center today and took a look, they didn't have much Peavey stuff but I tried this out (as well as it's solid state cousin, which also sounded nice for a solid state amp).

For the price, both the tube (and solid state version) blew me away in terms of sound. It's very Mesa-like with a bit of EQ tweaking, very rich distortion which also cleans up beautifully when I turn down my guitar's volume a bit. Cleans were nice, too, very sparkly and rich. Obviously, the tube version sounded better than the SS one, but let's just say I wouldn't complain if someone offered me the SS head

I don't know much about cabinets, the Peavey sounded nice enough and I can get it for almost half off the new price. Like I said, though, I don't know much about cabs, so if someone would care to back me up or contradict me on the choice of cabinet?

What does UG think of the head, though, and what it'll sound like with that particular cab?
Last edited by whiteraven119 at Jun 29, 2008,
The head is a good choice.
For the cabinet, lower end peavey cabs and combos are legendary for having "blah" speakers. Especially the VK cab.
I think you should go with an Avatar or Vader cab.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
The head is a good choice.
For the cabinet, lower end peavey cabs and combos are legendary for having "blah" speakers. Especially the VK cab.
I think you should go with an Avatar or Vader cab.
Where would one acquire an Avatar or Vader cab? eBay? I didn't see either of those brands of cab at GC, so...
youd have to order them online.

vadercabinets.com

my VK sounds great through my avatar 2x12.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
How much is just the head alone going for?
And I +1 the avatar or vader cab idea, they are much better than an old VK cab is.
have you looked at the avatar website? you can get a 2x12 which is plenty for under $300 with great speakers in it. trust what everyone else is saying and dont buy the vk cab, its junk like most peavey cabs. get something with celestion speakers in it.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
Quote by bowen
How much is just the head alone going for?
And I +1 the avatar or vader cab idea, they are much better than an old VK cab is.
It's $599.99 new, but they'll take $508.99 for it. There's a possibility it could be on "The List" for the Independence Day sale on Friday, so it could be even less then.

How's this cab? It's the B-52 cab I assume it would be paired with, I've read that these are on par as far as value goes with Avatar cabs. New, it's only $50 more than the used Peavey. I played the solid state B-52 head through this, and it sounded good, but, again, I'm an amp-tard.
Last edited by whiteraven119 at Jun 29, 2008,
you would be better off with an avatar or vader, better speakers, better build quality. Most low end cabs are not going to bring your amp to justice.
Quote by Ghold125
you would be better off with an avatar or vader, better speakers, better build quality. Most low end cabs are not going to bring your amp to justice.
I understand.

Just out of curiosity... I understand that a 100W tube amp is no plaything... I've read that 100W is just excessive (which I can understand). Volumes like this thing can produce would be somewhat dangerous, no?

Would I be better off looking for a small combo (I realize that a 1x12 tube combo would do the job just fine)? I really like how this head sounds, though, it's probably the only amp I played at GC that jumped out at me enough to make me want it. I'm just a bit wary of having an amp that would be able to make me permanently deaf with a slip of the wrist while turning the master volume.
Just get the B-52 AT112. Its loud enough to melt your face and destroy your ears. I love the **** out of mine.
Quote by whiteraven119
Where would one acquire an Avatar or Vader cab? eBay? I didn't see either of those brands of cab at GC, so...

www.avatarspeakers.com
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
How's reliability on the B-52 head? Especially for you guys who own them -- ever have/hear of any problems with them breaking easily? I'm reading the horror stories on various forums right now, they're scaring me.
^most of them on the problems where when they first came out a while out but ive heard theyve solved them.
one was that they over heated easily actually thats the main one i heard.
I haven't had any problems with mine. I have owned it for about 5 months or so, its been fine. It made it through shipping with fed-ex, so I know it was bang around quite a bit.

That cab you listed isn't the AT cab. The AT cab is ok if you can get it cheap. Avatar is the way to go.
Quote by PsychoKNTX
I got a b52 the other day and dont regret it, nice tube tone and crunch!
That's good to hear.

I'm thinking more and more I'm going to go with this head. Right now, my rig is looking like B-52 AT-100 head + Avatar 2x12 cab.

Good stuff?
Sorry to jack this, but how is the AT-100 voiced.... british or american, metal or rock?
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Sorry to jack this, but how is the AT-100 voiced.... british or american, metal or rock?
When I played it, it sounded very much like a Mesa Rectifier. So, whatever that's voiced like, I assume.

Anyway, I think I might be going with a Bugera 333XL-212. I played one today and it blew me away, incredible value and it sounded brilliant.
The AT-100 is american voiced, but it has the capability to get some decent british like rock sounds as well when the contour's not engaged..
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator