Is there a tonal difference? I've never played a stack before (just combos). Is a stack just louder?
The TONAL difference is often minimal. The most common differences are a 'fuller' sound (more speakers = more air being pushed around) and more bottom-end to the tone.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Stacks generally provide more bass and better sound distribution due to the increased amount of speakers, plus their size helps inflate your ego quite nicely
ohai little sig.
stacks = better sound + cool
combo= barely noticable sound difference (though i have a stack myself)
comparing combos and stacks are like comparing, shooting a pellet gun and a sawed off 12 gage
If you say Randy Rhoads isn't amazing, I will hunt you down (Same for Marty Friedman)Founder of Rhoads/Friedman pm if you want in..
"guitarists have a thing, where their guitar is like an extension of their penis.." well said, ozzy
A stack will punch you in the dick

other than that there isn't much difference.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
The actual Difference is that the actual amplifier circuit is in a different box to the speakers in a stack so they are bigger

But i would say the main difference is how much air they push
Gear List:
Ibanez S320
Lavey LV200
Squier Stratocaster Affinity HSS
No-Name Wesley Fat Strat copy
Peavey Rage 158
so can you like knock people over with a stack if they walk in front of it!!!???? If you can...then I'm getting a stack for sure because I know this guy who just makes me so mad and he's always walking in front of me when I'm playing my guitar and it just pisses me off so much that I often fantasize about knocking him over telepathically but if I could do it by playing a cool power chord with the br00talZ distortion that all the better!!!!
Quote by afrika18
so can you like knock people over with a stack if they walk in front of it!!!???? If you can...then I'm getting a stack for sure because I know this guy who just makes me so mad and he's always walking in front of me when I'm playing my guitar and it just pisses me off so much that I often fantasize about knocking him over telepathically but if I could do it by playing a cool power chord with the br00talZ distortion that all the better!!!!

r o f l.

oh, how i pray that this was serious.

i really really wanted to sig that, but its too long.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
My half stack actually looks smaller than you would think. I've taken the casters off my Mesa cab so it makes my rig look like it sits real low.

I can't use combos for the music I play. I always seem to break them from vibration and they always die on me in the middle of a jam.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
My half stack actually looks smaller than you would think. I've taken the casters off my Mesa cab so it makes my rig look like it sits real low.
+1 I just did this because I prefer how it looks w/out casters and it looks tiny (well...relatively ) now haha.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
+1 I just did this because I prefer how it looks w/out casters and it looks tiny (well...relatively ) now haha.
I also prefer the effect it has on my tone. With the cab directly on the floor, I get a thicker, more natural bass response.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
A more customizable sound as you can match different heads with different cabs.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Demonikk
Stacks generally provide more bass and better sound distribution due to the increased amount of speakers, plus their size helps inflate your ego quite nicely

Not really much of a factor these days since they invented decent PA systems...as far as "pushing air" goes I'd like to see any guitar amp compete with a PA. It doesn't matter what you gig with, the PA is there for the front of house and your stage monitors are there for you to hear...as long as you can get your tone you could use a Zvex Nano, a 1x10 cab and a Shure SM57.

Some amps only come in head format so the decision is made for you, but a stack is no better or worse than a combo - I can practically knock walls down with my combo, it's that damn loud.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com