So now I have a gibson sg special, with original pickups, it was a gift, my first guitar and I never played it before I got it. The neck is a bit thick, but that's not a huge issue.
The guitar hasn't been set up properly and its a bit uncomfortable to play now, but i have no local guitar stores to get it adjusted so help with that would be great, like a video or something to adjust the truss rod.

In terms of the pups, i don't like the original 490-s I'm considering replacing the bridge with an angus young special for that nice electric sound, and the neck with a p90 for that fat crunchy tone.

Could I make this guitar work? I like the look and the neck can be adjusted, but would I be better off just selling this and getting a different guitar? I play a lot of angus young style rock n roll/blues improv, so should I keep the sg or find something else?

Also if i keep this guitar, I'd wanna get a killswitch installed, any estimates on how much installation of a P-90, angus young special, pup cover and killswitch would cost me?
I have a 10watt marshall combo amp, but i plan on upgrading to something better the next time I go to a GC, not sure what yet, I'll just try a few out while I'm there, any suggestions would be great too. And I've been playing for almost a year.
Last edited by Slone at Jun 29, 2008,
Quote by Slone
I have a 10watt marshall combo amp, but i plan on upgrading to something better the next time I go to a GC, not sure what yet, I'll just try a few out while I'm there, any suggestions would be great too. And I've been playing for almost a year.

I would wait until getting that new amp before changing your pickups. You may find that with a higher quality amp, you're getting a more satisfying sound, regardless of the pickups.
Peace.
Quote by crazygluedmybut
I would wait until getting that new amp before changing your pickups. You may find that with a higher quality amp, you're getting a more satisfying sound, regardless of the pickups.

Ive played on a few different amps, the best being a friends marshall tube amp, and i still wasnt very satisfied with the sound, the thing is once i go to this GC, I'd have to wait another year before I could change anything else because of where I live.
before you look into upgrading your guitar, get a tube amp. if you go to guitar center, they will try to sell u a solid state marshal or line 6, but dont buy them. your tone will sound a lot bettter with tubes. if your wanting to get the angus young pickup, just so you know, angus never used it in his guitars, and its overpriced. i would go with a seymour duncan or dimarzio pickup.
Quote by guns_rosesldb
before you look into upgrading your guitar, get a tube amp. if you go to guitar center, they will try to sell u a solid state marshal or line 6, but dont buy them. your tone will sound a lot bettter with tubes. if your wanting to get the angus young pickup, just so you know, angus never used it in his guitars, and its overpriced. i would go with a seymour duncan or dimarzio pickup.

If your familiar with angus' style of playing, any suggestions on what kind of pickup I could use to get his sound?

I play a lot of blues and rock also and hate the sound I have to the point where i play unplugged sometimes, also I'm aware that thew angus young pup is overpriced since ur pretty much paying for his name, but it was the only option I know of.
your first guitar is a Gibson SG special?
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by f22master

yes
Rawr! I'm a dinosaur
Quote by f22master

Why the hell does it matter? Beats learning on a POS guitar, and you dont turn down freebies
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
You really need a new amp. THe marshall mg series are some of the worst amps ever. About 80% of your tone comes from ur amp.
Edit: For a good Angus Young tone you could get a Black Heart LIttle giant and a tubescreamer for about 300$. Also alot of your tone comes from YOU.
"Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel."- Jimi Hendrix
Last edited by bBreaker at Jun 29, 2008,
Quote by f22master

My dad's first guitar was also a SG Special...maybe this guy just has some money?
Quote by Slone
If your familiar with angus' style of playing, any suggestions on what kind of pickup I could use to get his sound?

I play a lot of blues and rock also and hate the sound I have to the point where i play unplugged sometimes, also I'm aware that thew angus young pup is overpriced since ur pretty much paying for his name, but it was the only option I know of.

for angus's style you would probably want a pickup that is based off a vintage paf pickup. seymour duncan jb's i've heard are great pickups for rock, blues, metal and all that. i have a dimarzio paf in my strat and it sounds great for classic rock like acdc. dimarzio also has stuff like the paf pro, par air norton or something like that. these forums probably have some answers to pickup questions like these. most of the acdc sound comes from your amp. angus just turned his amp volume to 10 and that had enough natural overdrive to give him his sound.(thats why a tube amp is so important for acdc stuff)
Quote by Snapple
Why the hell does it matter? Beats learning on a POS guitar, and you dont turn down freebies

i know! i'm just saying that that's like an insanely awesome guitar!
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
GFS mean 90 neck, keep the 498T in the bridge.
Get a new amp.
Spend some money.
I'd suggest an epiphone valve junior half stack, a tubescreamer, and a turbo tubescreamer.
OR
Blackheart handsome devil 15W combo, a tubescreamer, and a turbo tubescreamer.

Really depends how much volume and clean headroom you need.
The tubescreamers will give you alot of versatility, and while two may seem redundant, the classic and the turbo are WORLDS apart, very different.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Quote by Slone

New amp first.
Check out Blackheart amps, for a small tube combo.

If you want something that'll be loud enough for jamming with a drummer, or for a band/gigs...
Traynor YCV50 Blue
Peavey Classic 30