Hey everyone,

I have been playing guitar for about five years now, and I mostly play jazz and metal. I currently own a Godin SD, which is a great value, versatile guitar. However, I recently made a bit of money and I think it is time for a new guitar. I regularly gig with jazz combos and big bands at my high school, but I enjoy playing metal as well. However, I am not in any sort of rock or metal band at this time.

The point is, I am trying to eventually have a guitar for jazz that I can gig with, and a guitar for metal that I can use at home, and hopefully for some gigs down the road if I can get a band going. I would really appreciate some recommendations as to what my next guitar should be, considering I am looking at a new shred/metal guitar for a reasonable price (probably $600 max), or possibly a hollow-body or jazz guitar in the same price range. I was maybe looking at the Alexi Laiho ESP (the cheaper model), but I have no idea if it is any good or not (though I am a huge fan of Children of Bodom). Does it still make sense to get a metal-oriented guitar even if I am not gigging with it? In that case, would a jazz-oriented guitar make more sense?

I would really appreciate any recommendations anyone can give me about guitars that would work for my situation. I hope what I wrote above makes sense!

Thanks a lot
The Alexi V would be a good one. I am a Bodom fan myself and that's the next guitar I'm planning to get. I know it would be good for metal because it has active pick-ups. I'm not too sure about the Jazz side of it because I just play metal
To be honest most guitars can get a decent metal tone as long as they're got humbuckers in but if you get a metal oriented guitar with a neck humbucker you can switch to that on a clean sound and turn the tone knob down a bit to get a pretty convincing jazz tone. As for a specific guitar it all comes down to preference; what sort of guitars do you like apart from the Godin?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
get a les paul. it'll handle both at a half to 3/4-assed rate. a good amp for jazz and good OD/Distortion for metal will make up for it tho
Jackson DK2 (HSS)
Versatile enough for any style you throw at it
ohai little sig.
Hey,

To answer your question I've never really played on an electric other than a Godin. I was also thinking of Ibanez, because I really enjoyed playing on my friend's, though I can't remember what model it was.
Les Paul, higher end Epiphone, was built for Jazz but can also handle Metal.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
Avoid getting active pickups if you're going to be split between jazz and metal. As long as you have humbuckers, you should be able to get a good metal sound (with good distortion) but if you have actives, getting a decent jazz tone is going to be tough. Jazz sound is probably a bit more dependent on your equpiment than metal is.
Quote by Mountaindew91
get a les paul. it'll handle both at a half to 3/4-assed rate. a good amp for jazz and good OD/Distortion for metal will make up for it tho

I wouldn't do this if i were you. If you're looking at getting two guitars, then don't settle for a guitar that will cover both styles but not exceed at either.
Unfortunately, I don't play metal or jazz, (though im looking at getting into jazz more). If you are doing jazz gigs, your first stop should be a jazz guitar. Look into hollowbody guitars. Epiphone and Ibanez makes moderately priced ones that are pretty nice. I haven't played any ibanez hollowbodies so I can't tell you how they are, but I do know that some of the Epiphone models are pretty good.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
I love my Jackson. They're fun to play, and they have metal written all over them.
Think For Yourself, Question Authority - Dr. Timothy Leary

Quote by Poopsmith666
[21:09] im so canadian i piss maple syrup and i shit the beavers!

Quote by theyab
[1:01] im 21 years old i know how to jerk off
Hey everyone,

Thanks for all of your responses, many people have been recommending guitars that can handle both styles, which is great. However, I was sort of thinking that I would have a guitar just for jazz, and one just for metal, but I don't know if that makes sense considering I would only really be playing gigs on the jazz guitar for the next little while. I just need some ideas for a relatively inexpensive jazz OR metal guitar. All of the suggestions are a big help though!
Quote by diceCOB
Hey,

To answer your question I've never really played on an electric other than a Godin. I was also thinking of Ibanez, because I really enjoyed playing on my friend's, though I can't remember what model it was.

Well seeing as how you like Ibanez guitars I'd recommend you try as many as possilbe until you find one you like the feel of and take my advice; you can get a decent tone out of just about any guitar and amp combo as long as the amp puts out a decent clean tone, the key is that you want a relatively mellow tone for jazz (obviously you know this) so if you switch the neck pickup and roll off the tone you should be able to get at least a useable jazz tone if not a good one.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Demonikk
Jackson DK2 (HSS)
Versatile enough for any style you throw at it

Yes, I was gonna mention this.
two words, Michael Kelly.
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

Quote by BD 425
I wouldn't do this if i were you. If you're looking at getting two guitars, then don't settle for a guitar that will cover both styles but not exceed at either.
Unfortunately, I don't play metal or jazz, (though im looking at getting into jazz more). If you are doing jazz gigs, your first stop should be a jazz guitar. Look into hollowbody guitars. Epiphone and Ibanez makes moderately priced ones that are pretty nice. I haven't played any ibanez hollowbodies so I can't tell you how they are, but I do know that some of the Epiphone models are pretty good.

I owned an Artcore archtop for a little bit and it was pretty nice.

However, it does feel pretty different than a standard Ibanez solid-body, obviously because of the design of the guitar itself, so make sure you go play a bunch first.
HSS Strat

Or Ibanez S series

really you can play jazz on any guitar since some play with passives and some play with emg's on clean.
I don't even shred