im pretty sure alot of us have downloaded avi movies off limewire/torrent/whatever. what are the settings(bitrate, resolution, picture size, etc.) should i use to encode a video so that it looks like a (almost) dvd quality like the videos that you can download? i want to rip a bunch of concerts and other movies and stuff so i can stream them to my 360 with media player.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
wow alot of people are posting in the pit today sorry for the double post but i need to bump this because im not just using this method for recreation only.
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Yes, use the XviD codec by using a program called "Auto Gordian Knot"

http://www.autogk.me.uk/

Your aimed file size should be around 700mb per every 1 and a half hours of video footage. Although if your really concerned about quality (which looks good with a 700mb encoding, 1.*4gb will do too.
Gear

Fender Stratocaster in Red.

It's all I need.

The Anti-Anti-Ibanez Militia!
well for some reason when i put a movie like this on a flash drive and plug it into my xbox it will play the xvid file extension, however if i import an xvid movie into wmp and try to stream it, it doesnt show up on my xbox. i need to encode to avi because they seem to work quite nicely on my xbox when streaming.

EDIT: does anyone have any experience with handbrake for windows?
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Quote by Linqua5150
well for some reason when i put a movie like this on a flash drive and plug it into my xbox it will play the xvid file extension, however if i import an xvid movie into wmp and try to stream it, it doesnt show up on my xbox. i need to encode to avi because they seem to work quite nicely on my xbox when streaming.

EDIT: does anyone have any experience with handbrake for windows?

Well the software I linked to you, encodes it in XviD, but the file extension is AVI.
AVI (audio video interlace) refers to two different types of video compression, either raw uncompressed video (which will have a huge file size) or audio and video interlaced with some form of compression. Your best bet is to use the software I linked you to and convert the video footage you have to AVI with the audio being MP3/AC3 and the video being encoded with XviD.

Streaming with this file format is close to perfect, there are no skips or anything like that, I have a feeling you don't have your network settings configured properly, if you can't get the file to show up. Remember the video must be in My Documents > My Videos folder, and in the WMP library, and if you haven't already you have to enable access to the Xbox 360 in the WMP network sharing options.

Let me know how you get on.
Gear

Fender Stratocaster in Red.

It's all I need.

The Anti-Anti-Ibanez Militia!