On our myspace - http://www.myspace.com/cardinalsuk - are 3 of 5 songs that we recorded at a studio recently. We got 2 days, ideally we would have liked more time to perfect things a little more, but for a first ever demo this was OK for us, we don't mind it a little raw.
I play bass and sing some backup, but I'd prefer to get feedback on the entire songs themselves.

Here's some things we already know:
- Speeding up tempos - some are intentional, some not, but our drummer will learn to play to a metronome next time to fix those.
- Some 'off' vocals - time constraints allowed the 3 of us little more than 1 take each in the end.
- Quiet bass - the studio has serious bass booster speakers, so they ended up mixing the bass to a volume that is a bit too quiet on standard speakers. (Yes that's ridiculous yet true).

Thanks in advance for any other crit though
Quote by Paul Lambeth
It's like having the best orgasm of your life ever, but in your brain, and the opposite of that.
Cool tunes.
Totally different than what I would typically listen to...the opening few notes of "Losing It" gave me a brief Minus the Bear vibe, mainly the vibe & clean tones. Very good. I liked that one and Oceans Apart the best....though I kinda liked how Big Smile caught me a little off guard with the change at about the :53 mark. Interesting twist to it there.

LOL, I know what you mean about time constraints & vocal takes. Our old band recorded some demos waaaay the crap back in 80-something...and yeah, since most bands are on a tight budget in "real" studios & vocals are typically the last things recorded...they always seemed to get rushed.
I liked the vocal approach on your tunes though....I probably listen to too much Metal stuff...(LOL)...But it was nice to hear a very different approach than I would typically hear. Excellent job.

Don
Quote by ChipShank

Don

You're a proper nice guy. I love people who can venture outside their usual genre and keep an open mind, and your inside knowledge is spot on, cheers.

Just on a side note, the 'Big Smile' change is something I'm wondering how other people hear it. It's a key change down a half step and kind of sounds "wrong" but when we first played it, it was the funniest thing. I don't normally find music funny in that way but it really was.

Anyway, thanks a lot.
Quote by Paul Lambeth
It's like having the best orgasm of your life ever, but in your brain, and the opposite of that.
Quote by mattyp90
You're a proper nice guy. I love people who can venture outside their usual genre and keep an open mind, and your inside knowledge is spot on, cheers.

Just on a side note, the 'Big Smile' change is something I'm wondering how other people hear it. It's a key change down a half step and kind of sounds "wrong" but when we first played it, it was the funniest thing. I don't normally find music funny in that way but it really was.

Anyway, thanks a lot.

I try man.....I used to try & have something from just about every end of the spectrum in my CD case that I'd bring to work. You gotta cover all the bases you know.

BTW, I liked that change after a couple seconds...at first it was a bit of a "whoa..what?" moment, but it grew on me quickly. Personally, I think that used sparingly and well placed like you did...it's very effective. I think that if you put that sort of stuff every where...then you're sort of challenging the listener to stay with you & most likely reducing the size of your overall audience. LOL
I liked it though....it was a good twist.

BTW, I am an old(ish) bugger....but I've spent years working in a shop with many other musiciand in the 19-25yr old range. So I'm somewhat up to date...even though, I still can't keep most of the artists straight. LOL Minus the Bear just stands out, since one dude played their stuff relentlessly.

Don
OK the boys decided to post the other 2 tracks (Everest & Isolated) that we recorded, and also a live acoustic version of a different song that was recorded with a mate (on piano), but without me or the drummer.

If you have time could you guys crit these 3 new songs too, it's all on the myspace.
Quote by Paul Lambeth