Hey guys,
Want to get some upgrade humbuckers to play hard rock styles. I see a classic Seymour Duncan set up is JB in the Bridge and '59 in the Neck appearing a lot. Is this set up good? Any better pickups to buy or in all honesty will these 2 serve me well?
Note: I'm after a hard-rock sound to play styles such as Alter Bridge, Black Stone Cherry, Velvet Revolver, Coheed & Cambria ETC.
Cheers
Last edited by MetalMatt243 at Jun 29, 2008,
What guitar are you using? The Duncan JB/59 are very verisitile, so they will be able to cover a lot of styles. They are also good for clean. If you plan on playing cleans and distortion, I would recommend the Duncans. I actually plan on getting a guitar with them in it tomorrow. I had them before, so I know what they are capable of. The other two pickups that I use are Dimarzio Breed and Evolution or EMG 81/60.
Ive got that set-up on one of my guitars and its a great setup. Great tones. The reason you probably see that set-up a lot is because its very versatile.
i'd go for a Custom or Custom 5. the PATBs and Alternative 8 is good too.

what's your guitar by the way?

EDIT : looked at the profile and saw a Schecter and a Fender. i'll assume it's the Schecter.

look, the JB/Jazzn or JB/59 would be great in that Schecter but i'd still go for a Custom. it has great low end for rhythyms and a nice treble for lead. the JB might be too harsh for your liking.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Last edited by leviticus_22953 at Jun 29, 2008,
Quote by leviticus_22953
i'd go for a Custom or Custom 5. the PATBs and Alternative 8 is good too.

what's your guitar by the way?

EDIT : looked at the profile and saw a Schecter and a Fender. i'll assume it's the Schecter.

look, the JB/Jazzn or JB/59 would be great in that Schecter but i'd still go for a Custom. it has great low end for rhythyms and a nice treble for lead. the JB might be too harsh for your liking.

Hi there, cheers for the help! No I'm looking into buying a Dean Hardtail Select!
Quote by MetalMatt243
Hi there, cheers for the help! No I'm looking into buying a Dean Hardtail Select!

still, the JB would be too harsh in that guitar. i would recommend a Custom or Custom 5 paired with a Jazzn.
I use a JB Jr. in the bridge of my modded Squire, and I love it for hard rock.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by leviticus_22953
still, the JB would be too harsh in that guitar. i would recommend a Custom or Custom 5 paired with a Jazzn.

definitely +1, the JB is okay, but it is very harsh and very shrilly IMO, almost an ice-pick tone coming out of it from many guitars. I'd also recommend a custom or custom 5 as alternatives, but do what you feel is right.
Quote by CryogeniX
definitely +1, the JB is okay, but it is very harsh and very shrilly IMO, almost an ice-pick tone coming out of it from many guitars. I'd also recommend a custom or custom 5 as alternatives, but do what you feel is right.

Really is this true? How comes it gets such good reviews and popularity? Cheers for the add! What is a good feature of the custom then?
It gets many review because people don't know any better? Simple as that. It's marketed as their best pickup combo, so people buy it, thinking its their best pickup combo.

The Custom 5 has plenty of punch, as it's based off a PAF voicing, with some top end bark that' great for rhythm work.
The AlNiCo II Pro will give you great cleans from the neck position, and some smooth leads.
The JB gets good reviews because it's actually a good pickup. You have to set it up properly though. I think people here don't like it because you can't just drop it into a guitar and get good tone. If you take the time to get it set up properly, there's no other pickup like it.
That's not to say that it's the best for everyone, but it really is an excellent pickup. The harmonics and clarity are the best I've ever heard.
I don't like the Jazz very much though, an Alnico II has more character and clarity.
Right so I am thinking out of the Seymour Duncan 1) Custom 5 2) Duncan Custom or 3) JB......to be honest though I have little clue as to which to choose from!

And still no ideas for the neck! '59? Jazz? Any others?

Cheers Guys!
Right I think I'm going to go with the Duncan Custom in th bridge over the Custom 5 due to the Custom 5 sounding very Mid+ and the Duncan Custom having a nice fat tone to it, however I'm not sure whether its a little too much power for what I want! Seems to be branching into a more metal zone (which I got covered with my Schecter Hellraiser)!
Quote by forsaknazrael
The Custom is a little harsher, IMO. The Custom 5 sounds plenty fat in my setup, trust me - much more suited to some of the classic rock-ish oriented bands you like, IE, Black Stone Cherry and Velvet Revolver.

Ahh s**t I am actually screwed for choice now! Because I don't want to get the custom 5 and then find its not fat enough or too weak and vice versa with the Duncan Custom being tooo fat!
I have a Custom 5 in one of my guitars, it's nice. I'm still messing around with the pickup height but it sounds nice and full and is clear too. Not as clear as my Swineshead though, but they're not an option for you.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
TS, if you play some blues and rock and want nice cleans, go for a Custom 5. if you play heavier than that, say heavy metal or death metal, the Custom is for you.

btw, the Custom 5 is also perfect for metal but i like the Custom better for that genre.
I have a Custom in my LP copy and I don't like it for metal type sounds - it's better for mid gain crunch and cleans. I wish I had gotten the JB instead. I had the JB for years in another guitar and always liked it but went for something different. I think it's the ceramic magnetic, but I don't know. I think it's a very good pickup for classic rock. The JB does metal sounds better IMO but is also great for lower gain stuff as well.

here's some clips of my LP with a Custom and Jazz:

Clean clips

The clean goes through the bridge, both, neck, neck split, both parallel out of phase.

Dirty clips

The dirty goes through bridge, both, neck, both series oop, both parallel oop.

High gain clips

the high gain is just the bridge and neck...

there's no effects on the signal except for reverb, delay and some compression

the clean tone is a fender black face type of amp sound

the dirty and high gain is a marshall type of sound
Last edited by GoDrex at Jun 30, 2008,
Quote by leviticus_22953
TS, if you play some blues and rock and want nice cleans, go for a Custom 5. if you play heavier than that, say heavy metal or death metal, the Custom is for you.

btw, the Custom 5 is also perfect for metal but i like the Custom better for that genre.

Would you personally consider the Duncan Custom being too heavy for heavy rock?
OK - I want to say that I've changed my opinion a bit on the SD Custom. I just played outside on my deck with my amp up to 5 (I've never had it that high) and it sounded amazing. So I think I was basing my opinion on the way it sounds in my small room and there's really no comparison. So yeah anyway, it rocks. I feel stupid now. I put a bid on a JB last night because I wasn't happy with the Custom and now I'm hoping I won't win hehehe
Last edited by GoDrex at Jul 1, 2008,