Yeah, depending on the quality of the pedals. I use my ME-50 for all my distortion needs, and it sounds pretty good.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
not on clean. really only an OD pedal can make it sound good.
Obsession! Obsessive! Obsessed! Abscess!
Quote by Dimefan69
not on clean. really only an OD pedal can make it sound good.

...What?

Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
well, with your amp, pedals won't necessarily improve on the tone. I'd simply get a new amp.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Depends on what you're going for.

If you want a touch more drive, a tighter sound, or boost for solos, something like an EQ pedal or an overdrive pedal (the latter works best on tube amps) will do the trick.

If you want to play with effects to add to the ambiance of a song, a pedal like a delay, flanger, or phaser will help.

If you want a tone that sounds like the mix between a chainsaw and a screeching cat ****ting bees through its asshole, run a couple of Line 6 Uber Metal pedals in front of a Marshall MG250HDFX.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by DrNick
Depends on what you're going for.

If you want a touch more drive, a tighter sound, or boost for solos, something like an EQ pedal or an overdrive pedal (the latter works best on tube amps) will do the trick.

If you want to play with effects to add to the ambiance of a song, a pedal like a delay, flanger, or phaser will help.

If you want a tone that sounds like the mix between a chainsaw and a screeching cat ****ting bees through its asshole, run a couple of Line 6 Uber Metal pedals in front of a Marshall MG250HDFX.

LOL. A lot of LOL.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.