I like Andrew Bird, Rocky Votolato, and Devendra Banhart(or at least his guitar) and want to be recommended some artists. These are also songs I'd like to play so anything simple/fingerstyle would be awesome. Thanks much.

I also really like songs with violin.
Last edited by Matt Chavie at Jun 29, 2008,
Check out...

Nick Drake (obligatory post )
Lou Barlow
Iron & Wine
Elliott Smith
Hayden
(Smog)
The Mountain Goats

have fun!
Nick Drake's guitar is awesome, and doing covers, I think I will enjoy my voice more, good artist. Lou Barlow was alright, I've already heard I&W. Worthy of Your Esteem-Hayden is great. And I'll check out the others later.
All the music for these is good, but I want to add I like calm low voices i.e. Andrew Bird, and Rocky Votolato.
elliott smith, nick drake, damien rice, joni mitchell...etc

oh and beck's sea change album of course. that's an album EVERY music collection should have.

edit: i would also recommend simon and garfunkel. i know they're not really considered inde, but they have a lot of great folkish type songs. parsley sage rosemary and thyme is one of the most gorgeous albums i have ever heard.
Last edited by DayTripper1967 at Jun 30, 2008,
Bon Iver.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
Leonard Cohen, Bright Eyes, Nick Drake, Elliott Smith, Bon Iver, Angus & Julia Stone, Damien Rice, Belle and Sebastian, Sufjan Stevens, The Microphones, Neutral Milk Hotel, City and Colour, The Decemberists, Fleet Foxes, Kimya Dawson, Joanna Newsom, The Mountain Goats.
Quote by DayTripper1967
elliott smith, nick drake, damien rice, joni mitchell...etc

oh and beck's sea change album of course. that's an album EVERY music collection should have.

edit: i would also recommend simon and garfunkel. i know they're not really considered inde, but they have a lot of great folkish type songs. parsley sage rosemary and thyme is one of the most gorgeous albums i have ever heard.

One Foot In The Grave is also a great Beck album, I really recommend that.
I've recently found an artist named A.A. Bondy. I think he was actually a front man for a rock band back in the 90's but does acoustic/folky stuff now.

here is a youtube video of him. He also recently did a Daytrotter session, which was excellent.
Quote by Matt Chavie
I like Andrew Bird, Rocky Votolato,

the brag & cuss sucked!

haha sorry for not contributing to the thread, but that CD broke my heart.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Quote by BigFatSandwich
the brag & cuss sucked!

haha sorry for not contributing to the thread, but that CD broke my heart.

lol
Quote by Burdell
I've recently found an artist named A.A. Bondy. I think he was actually a front man for a rock band back in the 90's but does acoustic/folky stuff now.

here is a youtube video of him. He also recently did a Daytrotter session, which was excellent.

Yep, AA Bondy is great. I saw him supporting Okkervil River a few weeks back and he just held the crowd absolutely spellbound. He did an absolutely spine-tingling version of John the Revelator (originally by Blind Willie Johnson).

His band was called Verbena and they're good too. You can pick up their records really cheap on the internet.
Bonnie 'Prince' Billy/Will Oldham.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
Quote by DownInAHole.
I am so happy to see Avett Bros discussion here. I knew about them yearssssss ago.

there is a pretty lengthy thread about them here. general consensus? fantastic group.
My favorite folk artist right now is Dave Pajo. You might know Dave Pajo as the bass player of Slint. He has numerous names for his folk project, so if you're interested, look for:

Dave Pajo
Pajo
Papa M

Also, it's not really considered folk, it's more like gypsy music, but I've been really into Devotchka lately.
Quote by jackbutt
My favorite folk artist right now is Dave Pajo. You might know Dave Pajo as the bass player of Slint. He has numerous names for his folk project, so if you're interested, look for:

Dave Pajo
Pajo
Papa M

Also, it's not really considered folk, it's more like gypsy music, but I've been really into Devotchka lately.

This sounds interesting. I like a lot of folk and I love Slint, so I'll definitely be checking this out! Thanks.
Most of my favorites were already mentioned. M. Ward never gets any love around here, but he's pretty good too.
Quote by Bluesbreaker7
This sounds interesting. I like a lot of folk and I love Slint, so I'll definitely be checking this out! Thanks.

Check out Whatever, Mortal first. It's a Papa M album. It's really really good.