i know when you add capacitors in series they will be added together inversely aka make smaller values

so some one tell me if this will work.

get a few capacitors hook them together in series with an on on switch (so when the capacitor isnt engaged it is just a bypass) and using this set up as a varitone
also i would hook a switch with no capacitor in the circuit to act as a either bypass all varitone controls or varitone so i could preset a tone with the switches and then easily switch to that tone if needed.
my gear:
Jackson Roads Pro
Gibson Explorer Pro
Fender American P-bass
Squire P-bass
Fender rumble 300 bass amp
Peavey 6505 head
Marshall special edition red cab
Adding caps in series does this:

1/C(total)=(1/C1)+(1/C2)+(1/C3)+etc...

Adding caps in parallel just does this:

C(total)=C1+C2+C3+etc...

And that's all I could decipher from that post. Please type it more clearly and with better spelling and grammar.
Last edited by Invader Jim at Jun 29, 2008,
whoops i meant series varitone the title is wrong
my gear:
Jackson Roads Pro
Gibson Explorer Pro
Fender American P-bass
Squire P-bass
Peavey 6505 head
and then you have to re invert the sum of your caps when adding in series so its
1/c1 + 1/c2 + 1/c3 = ... (c3+c2+c1)/3

i will try to clarify how the switches will be wired together

you would start with an on on switch. you would solder a cap to one side of the switch and solder a hot lead to the cap and a hot lead to the other side, and the ground would be soldered through the middle terminal (and you would wire the rest of the switches up the same)
so when the switch is in one position the cap has current flowing through it and then the switch is in the other position the hot would bypass the cap.
my gear:
Jackson Roads Pro
Gibson Explorer Pro
Fender American P-bass
Squire P-bass
Peavey 6505 head
Ok, I guess that would work, but isn't that just the same as a tone pot at 0, but wouldn't it be easier to use a rotary switch?

(Now that wasn't hard, was it? )

edit: Fixed...
Last edited by Invader Jim at Jun 29, 2008,