Hey Pit
I'm slowly running out of space on my hard drive, all this music has left me with only 1.5gb left and it's closing in

so i want an external hard drive to put all my music on
but i don't want to lose all of it, so it'll need to be a reliable one
i know i can use music rescue if things do go tits-up but i'd prefer it if i didn't have to
can you lot share your experiences of external hard drives with me? which brands are to be avoided and which can be trusted?

cheers Pit
Rockin' shit
Last edited by jimmyhotpants at Jun 29, 2008,
Most of them are plenty reliable. You can even use an Ipod as an external hard-drive if you want.

I'd suggest backing all the music onto CDs as well though, just for extra security
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
The one that is hooked up to my computer right now is an Acomdata. I don't know if that is the company or what. I think its 150 GB, and its working great for me.
Pretty much go with all those brand names like Maxtor, Fujistu, Seagate. I'd recommend Fugistu but I have a Maxtor external hard drive and it's pretty good.
I recently bought a 250 Gig Seagate FreeAgent from Best Buy, it was so easy to set up and works like a dream, and its got more room than any MP3 player so you can fit plenty of music on it. It seriously was the perfect solution, it runs quietly and doesn't take up much space on my desk.
dont get a seagate, i have one in here and it keeps me up at night with crackling

EDIT: do get a ... western digital or something. just not segates they wear out after 1 to 3 years
PSN: KevGuy47
------▓▓▓▓▓
----▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
----▒▒▒░░
--░░░░░░
--▒▒░░░░░░
--▒▒░░░░▒▒▒▒
------░░░░░░░
----▒▒▒▒▒
--▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒
░░▓▓░░
░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░
░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░
----▓▓▓----▓▓▓
--▒▒▒--------▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒--------▒▒▒▒
i got a 500gig western digital. i think its called "mybook" or something.
i've had it for a few months now and it hasn't let me down yet
i own a 300 gig WD my book, or something like that, and its just amazing. my computer was so packed full of crap that it couldnt move, so i got this thing, and suddenly i can do whatever i want hassle free.
Quote by Machanix
We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back!

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far
Than A Wise And Productive Old Age

Good Girls Go To Heaven, But The Bad Girls Go Everywhere!
well i've been poking around eBay and found one that's also a music & video player and goes up to 1terabyte which sounds pretty ****ing awesome but i'm concerned that i won't be able to back up programs and stuff on it
there's also WD hard drives that go up to 1 terabyte and they seem good value
my sister has a WD and she seems to have had hers for a while, anyone else had any experience with them? good or bad?

EDIT: didn't see the above two posts, thanks i think i'll probably get a WD mybook
Rockin' shit
Last edited by jimmyhotpants at Jun 29, 2008,
iPizzle.
Quote by gallagher2006
Whats a Steve Vai? Floyd Rose ripoff?

Quote by Mr. Twelve
Behold...the Arctopus are obviously music. I don't see how anyone could say they're not music compared to many modern and post-modern composers. That being said, I think B...tA are terrible.
Quote by jimmyhotpants
well i've been poking around eBay and found one that's also a music & video player and goes up to 1terabyte which sounds pretty ****ing awesome but i'm concerned that i won't be able to back up programs and stuff on it
there's also WD hard drives that go up to 1 terabyte and they seem good value
my sister has a WD and she seems to have had hers for a while, anyone else had any experience with them? good or bad?

EDIT: didn't see the above two posts, thanks i think i'll probably get a WD mybook

yea check on newegg dot com, they have good prices
i have a 120gb portable maxtor one. i think i paid to much for it when i paid 100. you can get a 160-200ish for 100 i think. but its great.
Gear:
Musicman Stingray 4 string HH
Tech 21 Sansamp Para Driver
Ampeg V-4B
Ampeg SVT-212AV 2x12

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley compressor
Keeley Dark Side
Boss RC-2 Loop
Korg Pandora
Crybaby Wah