All I can say is: Gibson fucked up. Those tuners aren't grovers, they look to be black sperzel lockers.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Isnt that special its a great guitar as long as you leave the expensive wammy fixed or void the warranty getting a locking nut installed. Sounds like gibson is on top of their game.
I think Chris Broderick disagrees with your statement, and I wouldnt want to f**k with him.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
I didn't watch the whole thing, Cos This computer i'm on is so slow, But can we be SURE he set it up correctly, Strung it properly with the right gauge, Knows how to work locking tuners etc ?
I watched the whole video and he did know how to operate the tuners, mentioned the strings were properly stretched etc. Its just poor thinking at gibson. A company like ibanez is really good at wammy guitars they make alot of them in different models. Dean many other places make lots of wammy guitars. How many gibson guitars come with wammies not many, and the ones that do have bigsbys or the vibrola. Both little more than vibratos and no fine tuners so a locking nut wont work. Sounds like somebody at gibson figured it was as easy as sticking a kahler in with no other changes. Companies do this all the time build something with little or no testing and it all looks good on paper. And its gibson people will buy them anyways.
Chris Broderick doesn't use a locking nut and seems to be fine, John Petrucci uses a fully floating trem (non-locking) with lcoking tuners and does pretty heavy whammy abuse and it works fine. I personally think the setup on the JP6 and JP7's is the perfect trem setup out there. Gibson probably just screwed up somewhere or that guy got a fluke.

Quote by oneblackened
All I can say is: Gibson fucked up. Those tuners aren't grovers, they look to be black sperzel lockers.

Those are locking Grovers, I would prefer Sprezel's though,
Quote by JD Red LP
Chris Broderick doesn't use a locking nut and seems to be fine, John Petrucci uses a fully floating trem (non-locking) with lcoking tuners and does pretty heavy whammy abuse and it works fine. I personally think the setup on the JP6 and JP7's is the perfect trem setup out there. Gibson probably just screwed up somewhere or that guy got a fluke.

Those are locking Grovers, I would prefer Sprezel's though,

I have some locking grover rotomatics, they're basically the same thing as regular rotomatics. Also, grover lockers don't have those thumbscrews.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Sadly this is typical modern-day Gibson.

Not even double-checking their work, anymore. No quality control.
It seems to me that it needs a new nut that doesn't create as much friction to allow it to return to the original position. I may be way off but that just seems logical to me.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
Quote by a4lrocker
It seems to me that it needs a new nut that doesn't create as much friction to allow it to return to the original position. I may be way off but that just seems logical to me.

Sounds right to me, a well lubricated low-friction nut is the key to getting this setup to work (from what I've seen/played)