so ive been playing for a while but never learned any scales and stuff. What are some scales i should know? just to get me started with scales.
Obsession! Obsessive! Obsessed! Abscess!
C major/Major scales and pentatonic minor
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
If your screen name is true(dimefan) than you will deff want to learn the blues scales and minor/major pentatonic for your first scales. Thats what I am doing at the moment. They aren't hard. Dime used a lot of blues scales. Just look at Cowboys From Hell.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
One of my favs is Open G Blues

E|-3----1--------------|---------------------|---------------------|---------------------|
B|-----------3----2----|-1-------------------|---------------------|---------------------|
G|---------------------|------3----0---------|---------------------|---------------------|
D|---------------------|----------------3----|-0-------------------|---------------------|
A|---------------------|---------------------|------4----3----1----|---------------------|
E|---------------------|---------------------|---------------------|-3----1--------------|

Gotta love TuxGuitar
Ignore everyone who has posted. While their intentions are good, the beginning of learning theory must be rigidly structured to permit future success.

First, learn the main position of the minor pentatonic/blues scale. In A, this scale is found between the 5th and 8th frets and I'm sure you already you know it. Do not worry about theory yet. This scale is simply to mess around with and have some fun.

Second, learn the major scale...cold. I mean really learn it, and not just fingerings; learn the theory behind it. You should be able to explain the theory to a piano player if you understand it to the point of being able to proceed.

After that, you can explore a bunch of cool things at once, such as:
1. The theory behind the minor pentatonic/blues
2. The full minor scale
3. The harmonic minor scale
4. The melodic minor scale
5. Modes of the major scale
6. Modes of the harmonic and melodic minor scales
7. Modes of the minor pentatonic
8. The major pentatonic scale

Everything I've described after the minor pentatonic/blues is covered in the "'theory" link in my signature. However, please ignore the part about the Circle of Fifths as it is incorrect. The rest is good, though.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Ignore everyone who has posted. While their intentions are good, the beginning of learning theory must be rigidly structured to permit future success.

First, learn the main position of the minor pentatonic/blues scale. In A, this scale is found between the 5th and 8th frets and I'm sure you already you know it. Do not worry about theory yet. This scale is simply to mess around with and have some fun.

Second, learn the major scale...cold. I mean really learn it, and not just fingerings; learn the theory behind it. You should be able to explain the theory to a piano player if you understand it to the point of being able to proceed.

After that, you can explore a bunch of cool things at once, such as:
1. The theory behind the minor pentatonic/blues
2. The full minor scale
3. The harmonic minor scale
4. The melodic minor scale
5. Modes of the major scale
6. Modes of the harmonic and melodic minor scales
7. Modes of the minor pentatonic
8. The major pentatonic scale

Everything I've described after the minor pentatonic/blues is covered in the "'theory" link in my signature. However, please ignore the part about the Circle of Fifths as it is incorrect. The rest is good, though.

Holy anal. Is your bajingo on fire?
Quote by JohnnyBeep
Holy anal. Is your bajingo on fire?
Do you have a tiny schwing-schwong and feel the need to degrade women to make yourself feel important?

And no, I just know the best way to learn music theory.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Do you have a tiny schwing-schwong and feel the need to degrade women to make yourself feel important?

And no, I just know the best way to learn music theory.

How is saying you're anal degrading? It's a personality trait. I figured you'd appreciate the Scrubs reference.
dude, bangoodcharlotte. calm the **** down. he wasn't degrading you.

and as for scales..i suggest the G minor and G major pentatonic scales, G blues scales, and maybe a chromatic scale or two.

She dreams in color, she dreams in red.

Quote by josh999x
A guy put a dildo on his head and shouted look i'm a unicorn.

Quote by sg255
Patrick was so slang, but Squidward was a boob waffle.