So my 16th birthday is coming up, and i've been saving up money for some time. My parents agreed to help pay for a new guitar as a gift. Thats pretty cool cause i haven't gotten a birthday present in years. Anyway with all the money saved up i have around $1200(US). Now i'm debating about whether i should get a gibson les paul studio or an sg standard. I just want any input and advice from people who have some knowledge on both guitars. You can suggest any other guitars or ideas for that matter also. I'm into classic rock like Zeppelin but my band is sorta a hard rock driven group. Anythings appreciated.
If you can play the exact guitar, try a Studio, don't order one. Look into some Explorers, maybe? And Jackson RRs are good for everything, I've found.
They're both guitars for classic rock playing, you should just go to a music store, try them both and pickup wich one is the better.

I'd personally go for the LP, but that's just me.
鋼の錬金術師
sg special ftw

'08 Ibanez S5470 Prestige
Gibson SG Special - discontinued teal finish
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
4x12 Mesa Oversized Slanted Cab
BOSS TU-2
iSP Decimator
if you are gonna get a studio, get a high end epiphone lp (i think they are called masterbuilts) or look at the les paul customs. the gibson lp studio is not a very good guitar for its price. it is basically a cheap version of the nice lp's and it just isnt worth the money (at least from the ones i've tried out.) dont buy the studio just cuz it say gibson on it.
LP, way more sustain and a darker sound. SG's are good also but just not my cup of tea. make sure you get the guitar that is most COMFORTABLE for YOU to play. that is the most important thing. dont get a guitar because every1 else likes it, get it because it FEELS good.
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by guns_rosesldb
if you are gonna get a studio, get a high end epiphone lp (i think they are called masterbuilts ) or look at the les paul customs. the gibson lp studio is not a very good guitar for its price. it is basically a cheap version of the nice lp's and it just isnt worth the money (at least from the ones i've tried out.) dont buy the studio just cuz it say gibson on it.

i thought that said something COMPLETELY different
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
Quote by wicket_nirvana
i thought that said something COMPLETELY different

and yeah, just buy whatever you are comfortable with, as f22master put it.
Quote by guns_rosesldb
if you are gonna get a studio, get a high end epiphone lp (i think they are called masterbuilts) or look at the les paul customs. the gibson lp studio is not a very good guitar for its price. it is basically a cheap version of the nice lp's and it just isnt worth the money (at least from the ones i've tried out.) dont buy the studio just cuz it say gibson on it.

What didn't you like about the Studio? I love mine...i'm not looking to start a debate, just curious is all
Quote by stinger12345
What didn't you like about the Studio? I love mine...i'm not looking to start a debate, just curious is all

i played 3 different ones, and they just seemed lower quality. they were at gc and might have just needed to be set up better. the ones i played had fret buzz, dead frets, and the frets might have needed polishing or something cuz they felt rough. a lot of the lower priced gibsons are hit and miss, but thats just from my experience with them.
Quote by f22master
LP, way more sustain and a darker sound. SG's are good also but just not my cup of tea. make sure you get the guitar that is most COMFORTABLE for YOU to play. that is the most important thing. dont get a guitar because every1 else likes it, get it because it FEELS good.

+1

Sg's can have characteristics of Les paul's and strats...For a bolder darker..lower
end..I would LP.

I think the Lp can scream loud enough to cut through and do great leads..however
it can also play heavy enough to compiment a bass. If drop tuned they can even
play basslines if you dont have a bass player yet. I've recorded bass lines with them myself..so it actually works. Lp's also seem to have an ability to allow u to drop two
different pups in and make it sound like 3 different guitars according to where u set
the pickup selector and how u blend them in the middle. Other models seem to
sound souped up or calmed down...but still sound like the same guitar.

The SG will usually create a dissonant sound from the bass and give you a wider
spectrum of sound because of its brighter tones. I guess I'm saying it can make
you sound like a bigger band. If EQ's arent set correctly..a LP can get drowned
out give a compressed sound when combined with a bass and get lost in the
mix.

Try them out for real before you buy..Sg's have a bit of a learning curve..lol. It takes
a little time to get used to playing standing up because of the strap lock being in the
center of the back. That allows u to tilt it though and get into a lot of various positions and still have comfort. They play a little like strats and take a little less
effort. I learned that SG's are like Floor buffing machines...you cant hold them up.
It just creates a struggle that you are bound to lose..lol...you just gotta let them hang where they hang and flow with them. You gotta loosen up.

For the Money..I would go High end Epiphone Lp. I personally think it will allow
more headroom for growth as a guitarist. Its more versatile.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Jun 29, 2008,
Les Paul!!!
Gibson Les Paul Studio(Wine Red)
Squier Vintage Modified Tele(White)
Eastwood Sidejack(Amber)
EHX Little Big Muff Pi
Danelectro: Echo,Tremolo, Octave
Dunlop JH-1B Wah
Epiphone Valve Jr. w/ 1x12 cab
Unless the name on the headstock is everything, don't.

Find an epiphone elitist G-400 if you can, they're perfection.
Discontinued, so not easy to find though.
Another option:
Get an epiphone les paul ultra.

It will leave alot of your guitar fund left over, but it's light with all the sound of a les paul still in, beautiful, a really top quality instrument.
Get some gibson pickups for it, though.
It'll leave some left in your fund, too.

The gibson les paul studio isn't really nice looking. or comfortable to play live(it's freaking heavy). It's a great recording guitar(hence the name studio), but not the best choice for much else.

Also, if you go for the high-end (but not elitist) epiphone option, you'll have even more money to get a great amp with.

I'd suggest epiphone blues custom 30.
Les paul ultra+epiphone blues custom=
1250 dollars.

And more than worth it.

Damn, I'm sounding liek an epi fanboy.
But it's just all really great stuff.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Quote by Iansmitchell
Unless the name on the headstock is everything, don't.

Find an epiphone elitist G-400 if you can, they're perfection.
Discontinued, so not easy to find though.
Another option:
Get an epiphone les paul ultra.

It will leave alot of your guitar fund left over, but it's light with all the sound of a les paul still in, beautiful, a really top quality instrument.
Get some gibson pickups for it, though.
It'll leave some left in your fund, too.

The gibson les paul studio isn't really nice looking. or comfortable to play live(it's freaking heavy). It's a great recording guitar(hence the name studio), but not the best choice for much else.

Also, if you go for the high-end (but not elitist) epiphone option, you'll have even more money to get a great amp with.

I'd suggest epiphone blues custom 30.
Les paul ultra+epiphone blues custom=
1250 dollars.

And more than worth it.

Damn, I'm sounding liek an epi fanboy.
But it's just all really great stuff.

+15 ..Level Up!!!

The thread should close here!
I agree that this setup is sure to make you happy.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
no thread not closed, i'm avoiding epi guitars right now seeing that i already am in possession of their guitars
Quote by j00000
no thread not closed, i'm avoiding epi guitars right now seeing that i already am in possession of their guitars

Nothing outside of the gibson custom shop compares to an epi les paul ultra.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
I own the LP Studio. I tried out a Gibson SG in store once and while they sound nice, I did not like the feel of it at all. Too small and toy-like for my taste.
I haven't played a studio LP, but I've played a friends old vintage Gibson LP, they do have a nice sound but weigh a ton. I couldn't imagine standing on stage with one all night. Also they don't have way more sustain than a good Gibsom SG, if you've got the dollars get a standard SG at least, the specials are OK but not really that special.
But then really only you can decide whats best for you. Try them both out if you can.

Delboy
Last edited by Delboyuk_01 at Jun 30, 2008,