I bought a classic 30 yesterday and understand that it benefits greatly from a tube and speaker change. I'm actually very satisfied with the clean channel right now, but the distortion/crunch channel leaves something to be desired.

What could I do to have a meatier distortion? I'm thinking extreme, muse, black stone cherry, etc. Harder rock but not metal.
Budget is around 200$.
If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you lack sufficient imagination.
Last edited by mrbagrat at Jun 29, 2008,
Add a graphic EQ or an Overdrive pedal? Those are the most likely things I can think of.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Set of JJ EL84's, Tungsol 12AX7's, perhaps a Warehouse Greenback.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I'm not currently looking to buy any more pedals, but to change the tubes/speaker of the amp.
If nothing else comes up though I'll consider those.
And I'll probably end up getting and EQ eventually anyway...
If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you lack sufficient imagination.
Warehouse Greenback? hmmm...

I was going to go Veteran 30 for the Uppermids... but would green back that burn up the tightness?

I've got all JJs in mine...
Quote by darkarbiter7
Set of JJ EL84's, Tungsol 12AX7's, perhaps a Warehouse Greenback.

Will tungsols get it to break up earlier or more overall?
I haven't had TOO much experience with tungsols, but it all depends on what tubes are already in the amp. If you had something like sovteks or something like that, the Tungsols would probably have easier breakup. But, i'm not sure.
If you wanted earlier and more breakup, JJ's do that thing well.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Wait the warehouse Green Barettas are only rated at 25 RMS.. and the classic 30 is a 30 watt amp... wouldn't it be a bad idea to put a speaker able to handle less in an amp made for more?
what do you mean by breakup?
And I'll get the Tungsol 12AX7s and JJ EL84s.
But yeah, I'll need a speaker that can handle at least 30 watts.
if you go w/ www.dougstubes.com, you can choose the tubes you order to have either early/late/average breakup. both power and preamp ones.

that may be an option!!

but i agree w/ darkarbiter, JJ power tubes and Tung-sol preamps make a sexy ass combo
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Tung-sols... i always thought the chinese ones were crap? A lie? i guess so. I oughtta pick some up...

I emailed the guys at warehouse, apparently the Reaper is the choice to go for hi-gain tight low end focused mid grind.
*stock* chinese tubes are complete garbage, that's what comes in most amps from the factory.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by Highwaytohell
Tung-sols... i always thought the chinese ones were crap? A lie? i guess so. I oughtta pick some up....

Tung-Sols, are russian tubes.
Yeah, tungsols are russian.
They're darn good too. Probably one of the better modern production 12AX7's
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
ok. So Tungsols+JJs+Reaper speaker.

That will get me a good fuzzy distortion without losing too much of the classic 30's character, right?
It should.
The Classic already has a pretty fuzzy lead channel, so you should be fine.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I'm looking to do something similar to OP.

I've got the classic 30 head and classic 212 cabinet. I've already purchased the tubes, 4 JJ EL84's and 2 high gain tungsol 12ax7's and one balanced triode 12ax7.

Since I have the cabinet that has two speakers, should I go with 2 warehouse green berets, 2 warehouse reapers or a combination of the two?

The amp is rated at 16 ohms, how would I connect the speakers so that they would also be 16 ohms? I couldn't do two 16 ohm speakers using parallel because it would make it 8 ohms overall, and they don't seem to make 32 ohm speakers. I guess I would need to arrange 2 8 ohm speakers in series.

Currently the cabinet is arranged in parallel (apparently, but that would make the blue marvels in it 32 ohms... or something like that)

would it be hard to switch between parallel and series? I've never actually opened the cabinet before, and this will be the first time I've changed tubes too.

Thanks.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
The Reapers are like Greenbacks, but they don't break up as easily. Speaker breakup is really sexy IMO, so I would just stick two Green Berets in there.

I'm probably going to go with this then, it seems to be the best option.

The only other question is if I should get 8 ohm or 16 ohm speakers.
Quote by SoulDecay
I'm probably going to go with this then, it seems to be the best option.

The only other question is if I should get 8 ohm or 16 ohm speakers.

two 16 ohm speakers in parallel is 16 ohms total

parallel = unchanged ohm's
series = cut in half ohm's
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
two 16 ohm speakers in parallel is 16 ohms total

parallel = unchanged ohm's
series = cut in half ohm's

I thought two 16 ohms in parallel would be 8 ohms? two 16 ohms in series would be 32 ohms.

Parallel = divide them by two (Strictly referring to a 2x12, not anything more. Just gets more complicated from there)
Series = add them together.
Quote by mrbagrat
what do you mean by breakup?
And I'll get the Tungsol 12AX7s and JJ EL84s.
But yeah, I'll need a speaker that can handle at least 30 watts.

A speaker with a lower power handling will break up more and earlier. The Green Beret would give you more speaker break up. Probably a better choice for what you want...

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
Yeah, I think I'll stick to just a speaker for now. Not savvy enough to do tube changes and everything yet.
Do I run a risk of blowing the speaker if I buy the green beret?