I'm trying to figure out the reasoning for major scales harmonizing in this particular way:
major, minor, minor, major, major, minor, diminished, major.

Example: C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am, Bdim, C

Can someone either explain, or point me to something that does...
What I play:
CustomShop '51 Nocaster Relic
'88 "C" neck Clapton Strat
'08 Strat HSH
Fender Princeton Recording Amp
Boss Micro-BR
C D E F G A B

You form triad chords by selecting a note, a note a third above that note, and a note a third above that. For instance, to form the C triad, you select the C note, then the E note, then the G note. To form the D triad, play D, then F, then A. Continue this pattern for all chords.

Please read the "theory" link in my sig.
I'll make an attempt at explaining this to you, though I'm sure someone else will be able to give a better and/or more thorough answer.

Now, we know that these are the chords that belong to the key of C major. If you write out the notes in the key of C major (C D E F G A B C) and build a triad using each note as the root we see the following:

C D E F G A B C
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Therefore, if we treat C as the root and take the first, third and fifth (C, E and G) we have a C Major chord. If we repeat this process treating D as the root but ensuring that all notes remain the same:

D E F G A B C D
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

From this the root, third and fifth (D F A) form a minor triad. Therefore within the key of C the Dm chord is diatonically correct.

As you know, major, minor and diminished chords are mentioned so now I'll take a quick look at how the Bdim chord is formed relying upon the C scale.

B C D E F G A B
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

We can see that the triad here is B D F. These three notes create a B diminished chord. A diminished chord is 1 b3 b5.

If you follow this process you see the following:
C Major - C E G
D Minor - D F A
E Minor - E G B
F Major - F A C
G Major - G B D
A Minor - A C E
B Diminished - B D F
C Major - C E G

As I said before, I'm sure someone will be able to explain this more thoroughly. Hopefully my explanation wasn't too confusing and it made some sense.
thank you, you found what i was missing... and i'm sure you'll see why it wasnt clicking for me...lol

Quote by Tsunoyukami
but ensuring that all notes remain the same

i'm studying and practicing triads and harmonization and just wasnt coming up with what i was supposed to... something just didn't make sense... until now. Thanks
What I play:
CustomShop '51 Nocaster Relic
'88 "C" neck Clapton Strat
'08 Strat HSH
Fender Princeton Recording Amp
Boss Micro-BR