I have been playing mostly covers for all the time ive played guitar about 2 years, i have made some of my own stuff but it takes a really long time and i dont do it by scales or anything. and i have noticed im really bad a improvising like melodies and solos. What are some things you guys do to help improv and memorize scales?
I have a Boss RC20XL looper and i works good for layin down a rythim or a riff then playin it back and improvin or lay a harrmony over it
Choose a Pentatonic scale and play it up and and down for 15 minutes a day. I use the Pentatonic Blues Minor scale. Each time you practice add your own twist to the scale. Maybe add some bends, slides, or play at different octaves. Over time as your fingers know exactly to go on the fretboard you will be able to play faster and improvisation will come naturally to you. When you feel like you have mastered a particular scale move on to another. Add more and more scales to your repetuar and you will be able to solo like a pro!
Quote by Jimmmoripage
I have been playing mostly covers for all the time ive played guitar about 2 years, i have made some of my own stuff but it takes a really long time and i dont do it by scales or anything. and i have noticed im really bad a improvising like melodies and solos. What are some things you guys do to help improv and memorize scales?

Learn music theory.

Then you know what to do, it's just applying it. I learned a bit of theory, instantly I got MUCH better at improv. Makes a huge difference.

IMO, w/o basic knowledge of theory, you're going to have a REALLY hard time doing improvs. And BTW, no one go and say "Dusty, Hendrix didn't know theory!" umm, yeah, he did. You've never heard him play out of key, have you?