Well, it's basically simple, I think this is not the first thread with a question like that, but I want to see your opinions. My mother wants me to go in music college (I live in Québec, Canada), but I think I would get the same (maybe more) knowledge by taking private lessons, and studying myself with books and internet. I'm a fast learner, and I can understand much things without having someone to explain all of it to me. Also, I don't really like school, but I'd have no problem to continue for 3 years if I know it will lead me somewhere.

It is clear in my head that I want to pursue a music career. By career, I mean having a band, writing songs and music, record/release studio albums, playing live shows/tours, and more. I would also want to add a bit by giving guitar or general music lessons, and recording instructional DVDs or writing books.

I want to do something like Dream Theater, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Mercenary, Quo Vadis and Into Eternity, just to name a few. I play Progressive Melodic Death Metal mainly, also Thrash, Speed, Neo-Classical, Classical (Wagner, Vivaldi). I don't play radio-friendly music, so no chance I get a big hit on the radio or MTV.

Back to the reason of this thread, the main question : knowing all I said, for my goals and everything, should I attend a music college or learn by myself ?

Again, I want to know your opinions, post which one you suggest me, why, and why not the other choice.

If you need any other information, post your questions here, send me a PM or mail me here : Dream_Theater261@hotmail.com

Thanks to everyone who will answer me. Take your time to find a good answer, I still have 8 months to choose.
Hello, Mirror - so glad to see you my friend, it's been a while

Help me - I can't break out this prison all alone
Save me - I'm drowning and I'm hopeless on my own
Heal me - I can't restore my sanity alone
Last edited by XDream_TheaterX at Jun 29, 2008,
Go to college.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Can you tell me what I'll learn get in college that I couldn't get alone/with a private teacher ?

Quote by bangoodcharlote
Go to college.

Quote by justin_fraser
Go to college.

Go to college
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Go to college.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by XDream_TheaterX
Can you tell me what I'll learn get in college that I couldn't get alone/with a private teacher ?
Instruction every day from professors who have doctoral degrees in music...

A degree...

Connections...

A college experience...

References...

Go to college.
Quote by Sue
Go to college.

Quote by Justin
Go to college.

Quote by Wishy-Washy
Go to college

Quote by Archey
Go to college.

Go to college.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Instruction every day from professors who have doctoral degrees in music...

A degree...

Connections...

A college experience...

References...

Go to college.

Thank you for your answer. I'll still think about, no matter how many people tell me to go to college. I'll get more information from other sources to be sure I take the right choice.

go to college. seriously, music is a mix of math, art and science. would you expect to be a rocket scientist without going to college?

i personally am considering going to college and just taking classes and the music courses i want. i won't get a degree but i'll be more informed than 95% of the bedroom guitarists.
I would actually say private lessons, they will be way cheaper (especially if money is an issue)

Except the only downside is no degree in music or anything if you end up wanting to teach guitar.

I would say private lessons now and go to college lil later if you wanna have a degree for teaching.
want to have your homework be playing guitar?

want to be constantly exposed to new sources of music and inspiration?

if you go to college you will be constantly playing the instrument you love. You'll also be continually shown new genres, techniques, developments, etc by your teacher so that instead of investing your energy into simply finding those ideas on the internet from home, you can spend your time actually developing your music. Furthermore, at the end you'll be accredited.

Don't be a dufus. go to college.
Speaking of which guys, i just turned down a place in BIMM because I want to teach and have an excellent opportunity here, without the student debt.

Don't be an idiot - think and really consider your options and aims. However, obviously, you'll be a better player if you go to college.
Go to college.

It's fun playing prog/melodeath/metal etc all the time but if you really want to be the best you can be at playing the guitar, which will in turn increase your chances of being successfull anyway, go to college. If you go to the "right" place for you, you'll meet people with the same interests and chances are you'll get shown how to promote your music, as well as being put into different band situations.

Tl;dr - Go to college.
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
--Stephen Roberts
I say collage, but I recommend taking a year off before, just working on playing skills until you go to collage. that way you might be ahead of every one else/ have a much easier time
Quote by XDream_TheaterX
Well, it's basically simple, I think this is not the first thread with a question like that, but I want to see your opinions. My mother wants me to go in music college (I live in Québec, Canada), but I think I would get the same (maybe more) knowledge by taking private lessons, and studying myself with books and internet. I'm a fast learner, and I can understand much things without having someone to explain all of it to me. Also, I don't really like school, but I'd have no problem to continue for 3 years if I know it will lead me somewhere.

It is clear in my head that I want to pursue a music career. By career, I mean having a band, writing songs and music, record/release studio albums, playing live shows/tours, and more. I would also want to add a bit by giving guitar or general music lessons, and recording instructional DVDs or writing books.

I want to do something like Dream Theater, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Mercenary, Quo Vadis and Into Eternity, just to name a few. I play Progressive Melodic Death Metal mainly, also Thrash, Speed, Neo-Classical, Classical (Wagner, Vivaldi). I don't play radio-friendly music, so no chance I get a big hit on the radio or MTV.

Back to the reason of this thread, the main question : knowing all I said, for my goals and everything, should I attend a music college or learn by myself ?

Again, I want to know your opinions, post which one you suggest me, why, and why not the other choice.

If you need any other information, post your questions here, send me a PM or mail me here : Dream_Theater261@hotmail.com

Thanks to everyone who will answer me. Take your time to find a good answer, I still have 8 months to choose.

Your parents actually offer to pay for you to go to music college and you have to think about it ? and your not weighing music college VS some other profession...... your weighing it against DVD tutorials and learning from places like UG ???...........

I don't know what to say.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 30, 2008,
You Go to college = Degree, more detailed knowledge, meet other musicians, job in music

Don't = lurking on UG while in mom's basement for the rest of your life.
Why not do both,... Thats what I am planning on doing when I transfer from stupid Wor Wic Community College. BTW Does anyone know any school in the MD area that have good music programs? I was told University of Maryland Eastern Shore but I was wondering if anyone had a clue around here. OR any schools that are good with music excluding Berklee and Juliard because I know I can not get into those schools. No point in evening trying at the moment
Pfft your lucky you can go!

I never took music for GCSE, therefore couldnt take it at A level, and therefore cannot get into Uni for music. Basically unless I a wait a year, then do a 2 year basic music course, only then can i go to uni...

I'm doing Art btw... but that is second to MUSIC....
So I'll be teaching myself music forever. <---- Basically go college while you have the oppurtunity.

Even if you can teach yourself loads about music, when you have the degree,.. Sun will Shine from your ass.
College man. I started taking music classes in college and you learn stuff you never even new existed. Some of this might be basic, but I learned the importance of aural skills, how to analyze chords in music, modulations, just a whole bunch of **** that I would never have known was out there to be learned. You will also have to take some boring history classes and whatnot, but just make sure whatever you learn in your classes you apply to guitar. Plus you will be very motivated to learn everything very well with that much time and money at stake. Plus you get to meet other people that are interested in music and you could have a band of competent musicians.
Earth without ART, is just Eh...
Go to college.

Why?

1. You learn about ALLLLLL KINDS OF MUSIC. Which is needed to be a well-rounded musician and to create original, more artistically pleasing music. All these sources of inspiration can only help.
2. You'll have a better understand of how music works.
3. You will have fantastic teachers, and therefore will learn much faster.
4. You'll have a degree in case you ever want to get a 'normal' job.
5. With a degree you can charge more money as a private teacher.
6. You'll have a base to network from, and music is ALL ABOUT NETWORKING
Id say go to college because it's less work to get to the same level. But I disagree that it will make you a better player. I think teaching yourself has wider limits, you could either be complete garbage, or you could be better then if you went to college.
Collage. With the styles you play, you need as much musical education as possible.
Goddamn you're in QUEBEC, and you don't want to go to college? I would kill a white man to go to McGill university for music, that'd be sooo sweet :

Plus at college you get the chance to interact with different musicians, and can hear a whole ****load of different influences, it'd do you so much good!
Quote by Myung'sMusicman
Why not do both,... Thats what I am planning on doing when I transfer from stupid Wor Wic Community College. BTW Does anyone know any school in the MD area that have good music programs? I was told University of Maryland Eastern Shore but I was wondering if anyone had a clue around here. OR any schools that are good with music excluding Berklee and Juliard because I know I can not get into those schools. No point in evening trying at the moment
The University of Maryland has a very solid reputation in the "regular" subjects (math, biology, humanities, etc) and I'm sure has a good music program; most large East Coast schools are quite good at everything at this point.

Something like UMBC or other UMD satellites I'm not so sure about, but UMD in College Park is very solid.

As an added bonus, as a Maryland resident, you get cheaper tuition and admission priority over out-of-state residents.
You're in quebec and this is even question? Go to McGill, you'll regret it if you don't. It's one of the top music schools in the whole country.
"Forget the rules. If it sounds good, it is good."
-Eddie Van Halen
Your goal is to write songs and play in a band and get signed? Those were some of my goals too when I got my music degree in University here in Canada. (McMaster....)

My other goal was to become a teacher, and that is the one I have achieved. I could not have achieved that without university.

But your goal.... skip college. If you go, you will have pressure put upon you to take up a professional field, and to go straight into that field upon graduating. You'll meet a girl who will encourage you NOT to pursue something as insecure and unpredictable as being a recording artist.

You want to be a better player? Find better players than you and study with them privately. I studied with Greg Fraser of Brighton Rock and Helix for a while. I learned more about rock guitar from him than I learned in my entire four years of doing a classical guitar degree. (not to negate the importance of said degree).

Theory is SO very useful... but not mandatory. If it sounds good, it IS good.

Spend that 12 hours a day you would otherwise spend in class writing songs and practicing, and getting out there and meeting people.

BUT!!!!!!! DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!!!!

Go to where the music is happening. Maybe Toronto or Vancouver if you insist on staying in Canada. Otherwise, try LA. If you want to be in the industry, you have to be where the industry is. You will never meet Mutt Lange or Bob Rock or whoever else living in Quebec. Or Manitoba. Or Iowa.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Finally, my choice is done. I will go to college. I only needed to have some opinions from people who went to music college, and tell me that it is much better, and why, and you guys did it pretty well (except for all those "Go to college" that were a bit annoying after the millionth...).

No need to write another million of "Go to college" and lots of reasons, my choice is done, you did your job, now I shall practice 72 hours a day to achieve college. The only thing I'm not sure yet is : should I go there as soon as I've finished high school, or wait a year to get better before going there, and also, which college ... ?

Btw, McGill is a University, and it's kinda too far from where I live. With the gas price that is still going up, and will probably even be higher in 1-2 years ... I choose a college that is pretty near from where I am :P

As soon as the school year starts, I'll meet a professional in my school to help me choose a college. If anybody here knows those that are near the region of Montreal (Marie-Victorin, Jolliette, Vincent-D'Indy, Lionel-Groulx), it would be appreciate if you give me your impressions on these college. These are the ones I've been considering from the moment I started thinking "I wanna get a job in music, what should I do to get there ?".

I'll still check the thread for 1-2 days, to see your opinions on either I should go to college as soon as possible or wait a year. Big thanks to everyone who helped/will help me to make my choices.

Last edited by XDream_TheaterX at Jul 1, 2008,
You should try out during your senior year at a few schools at the very least. If you don't get into any, you will have plenty of feedback as to why and then you can take a "gap year" which you would use to prepare for another round of auditions the come the next year.
12 fret fury
if you go to a music college, you know how much youll learn and how long you'll learn it in. when you teach yourself you can in rare cases learn quicker, but in most cases you'll learn slow and miss out on one or two important things that'll come back to haunt you one day.
- The anti-yamaha.
well, the majority of popular music acts have members who mostly didn't go to college, at least not for music, but it will help you meet like minded and talented people, and you will perform at a higher than average level.

Plus you will be able to find work as a session musician more easily with a college/conservatory background, because the type of career you want isn't really planned, it just happens, and there is luck involved, so go for it, but being able to do session work would be a great backup plan, or it could help you get your foot n the door as a recording artist.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Punk Poser
You should try out during your senior year at a few schools at the very least. If you don't get into any, you will have plenty of feedback as to why and then you can take a "gap year" which you would use to prepare for another round of auditions the come the next year.

On this same note... here is another possibility. This is what happened with me.

I auditioned in my senior year in high school. I didn't start taking classical guitar as seriously as I should have until later than I should have, so I really wasn't totally ready. I played a grade 10 piece, a grade 9 piece, and two grade 8 pieces. (RCM) The expectation was grade 9+10 pieces.

What happened, though, is I got permission of the department to take most of the music courses I needed to take. (a lot of courses had as a prerequisite "enrollment in the music program' kind of thing, but there was that oh, so special qualifier.... 'or permission of the department' - a qualifier reserved specifically for cases like mine) So, even though I was in Humanities, I enrolled in Music the next year, and was still on track to graduate in four years with my honours degree. By the time I auditioned again the next year, I was so much more prepared, and people knew me (and I knew them, which helps when you're auditioning, even from a 'nerves' point of view)

Kinda like getting in the side door. You still have to work like a dog, but you don't lose any time if you want to get your degree and get it done.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.