I've got a Gretsch 5129 and am looking to swap out the pickups since the stock ones are crap. I play classic rock/blues and am looking at the SH4 and SH2 seymour duncans for the bridge and neck respectively. I like the sound of the SH4 JB, but am not sure if there will be any problems in a hollowbody. I'm pretty n00bish when it comes to guitar electronics so I'd appreciate any input.
i own a peavy bandit 112, but i use a bunch of my friends amps as well. I play a whole range of classic rock. Folkish, Dylan stuff to Psycha/pop/rock Beatles, to Led Zepp.
You might want to invest in a better amp - one suited for your tastes.

A Peavey Delta Blues would suit you, as would a Peavey Classic 30. A Traynor YCV50 Blue is also worth a look.
You should be able find all of them for under 500 if you look used.

I will still give you a few pickup options, though - I caution you, a pickup swap is not going to have as big of a tonal improvement as you may have been lead to believe. Pickup swaps are for tweaking your tone, and are really only noticeable or even really only shine through a good amp.

A pair of Seymour Duncan SH-1 '59s would be great for what you play. Lots of snap and punch; they can get dirty enough for Zep (And can handle metal, with the right amp, technically, as the band Lamb of God demonstrate..), and clean enough for Dylan. These are based on PAF's, the "holy grail" of humbucker tone from 50's and 60's Les Pauls.
If you want something more powerful in the bridge, a Seymour Duncan SH-14 Custom 5 would be a great choice. A Pearly Gates would be a rude, crude kind of PAF tone, and also an excellent choice for a bridge pickup.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You might want to invest in a better amp - one suited for your tastes.

A Peavey Delta Blues would suit you, as would a Peavey Classic 30. A Traynor YCV50 Blue is also worth a look.
You should be able find all of them for under 500 if you look used.

I will still give you a few pickup options, though - I caution you, a pickup swap is not going to have as big of a tonal improvement as you may have been lead to believe. Pickup swaps are for tweaking your tone, and are really only noticeable or even really only shine through a good amp.

A pair of Seymour Duncan SH-1 '59s would be great for what you play. Lots of snap and punch; they can get dirty enough for Zep (And can handle metal, with the right amp, technically, as the band Lamb of God demonstrate..), and clean enough for Dylan. These are based on PAF's, the "holy grail" of humbucker tone from 50's and 60's Les Pauls.
If you want something more powerful in the bridge, a Seymour Duncan SH-14 Custom 5 would be a great choice. A Pearly Gates would be a rude, crude kind of PAF tone, and also an excellent choice for a bridge pickup.

Add a Epiphone Blues Custom and a Fender Blues Deluxe to that list, and it's complete.

Also, Chris_Parker is a huge Gretsch fanatic, and he always recommends TV Jones pickups for hollows.
http://www.tvjones.com/home/home.htm
well, because your guitar has dearmond pickups, that limits your option quite a bit. however, i'd also recommend getting some dyna'tron mount tv jones'. your best bet would probably be tv classics or magna'trons.
Member #4 of The Fulltone Users League
Member #68 of the EHX Users Guild

You Would
This may sound stupid, but why does it matter that it has dearmond pickups as stock?
woops. I wrote down the wrong model. I have the Gretsch 5129 with the single coil pickups. Does that make a difference? Also, how is the routing different from the standard routing?
oh alright. what kind of tv jones pickups would give me the kind of sound i'm looking for? Versatility with the ability to play clean and with a bit of distortion. Not too much of the stereotypical Gretsch hillbilly twang