My friend told me they need a bassist for their metal band so I'm going to try out for it just to get some stage experience and get a feel of a new style of music.

What I want to know is, what are some things I should know before going so I don't look like a fool? I know they are having a hard time finding a bass player, but I don't want them to feel as if they have to just settle for me. I'm not that bad, I just don't know much about metal except for the drop tuning and fast playing.

I'm going to go listen to some Lamb of God while waiting for responses.

Thanks in advance!
There's not much you really need to know to be fair. Just play what fits, I guess. As much as people say "oh yeah, follow the guitars, use a pic, just play fast"... just no. Hell, there's some metal bands that include a lot of slap bass. Instead of changing your style to fit them, bring in your own style and try and incorporate that.
what delirium said.
and pretty much... try and look bad*** while playing.
That's pretty much what metal is about. lol.
Just a tip to add some heavyness. Every now and then the guitars like to go a really fast, sometimes don't do that and just go slow, heavy and sludgy (powerchords help when going slow and heavy).

Learn to fill the gap the guitars leave, work with the drummer, especially the Bass Drum.
Quote by watchingmefall
Just a tip to add some heavyness. Every now and then the guitars like to go a really fast, sometimes don't do that and just go slow, heavy and sludgy (powerchords help when going slow and heavy).

Learn to fill the gap the guitars leave, work with the drummer, especially the Bass Drum.

Quote by VikingBears!
what delirium said.
and pretty much... try and look bad*** while playing.
That's pretty much what metal is about. lol.

+1 +1

Often times it's best to lock in with the drummer more than the guitars. and don't be afraid to play chords
Quote by pwninator123
EPIC LOLZ FROM THE LEFTY!!!!!!

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

When I brought up this page, so much fail dumped out of my computer screen and all over my hands, severely damaging my ability as a musician.
Quote by watchingmefall

I used to do that in a tech death metal band and it worked
yea there are parts where my guitarist will play like, 32nd notes and id play quarter or 8th notes, sumthing like that. just have "groove", and u wanna follow the guitarist but like they said, ur part of the rythym section so rememeber that when ur playing'

note- i too am in a metal band, check out sum of my stuff (in my sig)
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Quote by watchingmefall

Do you have any examples of bands doing that?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
There's not much you really need to know to be fair. Just play what fits, I guess. As much as people say "oh yeah, follow the guitars, use a pic, just play fast"... just no. Hell, there's some metal bands that include a lot of slap bass. Instead of changing your style to fit them, bring in your own style and try and incorporate that.

+1 to this and to going slow when the guitars go fast sometimes. You need to know when to be low (following the kick drum or chugging along with the rhythm guitar) and when you can breathe and do your own fills.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
They might not let me join because i don't have a bass amp. But I don't want to spend the money on one if no one wants me in their band because I would rather play guitar or sing vocals in a rock/heavy rock band.
Quote by seizetheday1103
yea there are parts where my guitarist will play like, 32nd notes and id play quarter or 8th notes, sumthing like that. just have "groove", and u wanna follow the guitarist but like they said, ur part of the rythym section so rememeber that when ur playing'

note- i too am in a metal band, check out sum of my stuff (in my sig)

i like the pig squeals man but i can't really tell anything else from the videos...
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I think that's a bit silly- that's like me going to a job interview and saying "well, I'll only go and get the necessary degree if you'll take me on as a member of staff." It just doesn't work like that.

Well is there an amp I can buy that sounds good with both guitar and bass? I am saving up money to buy a new amp for my guitar, but not strictly a bass one.

All I have right now is a small cheap Marshall.
It's all good, I'm buying my friends bass amp. I've played on it a few times and its good.

I think I'll have an easy job making the band since I'll have the equipment and can travel.

Are there any specific scales they use? Or is most of it chromatic on the E string?
Quote by MustangMan311
Nah, you'll most likely be using 0s and 1s, if you guys hop on the breakdown bandwagon.

Oh god....spamming the D and D#?

I thought this music required some kind of skill?
Well I would have expected it to be a little more complicated than just open strings.

Is it just about dynamics? Or does bass just not have a big part in metal bands?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jesus... I'll reiterate this nice and clearly- DO WHATEVER YOU WANT TO AS LONG AS IT FITS THE SONG.

So I can just roll my face across the fretboard if it sounds good?

Alright man, those are some good guidelines. I like em nice and vague.
Quote by Derk4397

You know why it's nice and vague? Because there's no guidelines in music. Just like there is no guidelines in art- it's all about expression.
Quote by Derk4397

Your the one who asked for help, yet you become a gaping rectum when he tries to offer you advice. His advice makes sense, the genre doesnt have any specific rules, just play something that fits, make it your own.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

I have a question that pertains to this. I thought(or read somewhere) that there is almost no slap in Metal? True or false?
Quote by KingWilly66
I have a question that pertains to this. I thought(or read somewhere) that there is almost no slap in Metal? True or false?

In prog bands I know there is a lot.
Quote by KingWilly66

False.

Quote by Derk4397

You do whatever fits yo, but for metalcore it usually helps to tune down to Drop D or Drop C (ask the guitarists what they tune down to and tune down to that)

If you want guidelines, listen to your favorate metalcore songs and learn them and use that info to make a guideline
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
Last edited by 14shadesofblue at Jul 7, 2008,
Quote by Derk4397
Well is there an amp I can buy that sounds good with both guitar and bass? I am saving up money to buy a new amp for my guitar, but not strictly a bass one.

All I have right now is a small cheap Marshall.

A fender bassman, it's technically a bass amp but lots of guitarists use them...
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.