Ok so in the guitar world theres many terms that float around that anyone whose not familiar with will get totally lost. Sadly to say sometimes this happens to me. I just wanna kno straight up wat some of this sh** is.

1. preamps
2. reamps?
3. poweramps
4. rectifier
5. what exactly does a tube do?
6. difference between speaker and instrument cable
7. killswitch
8. and any other wierd term i might not kno

thanks again. i'm just looking for some definitions. this would help me build some more knowledge.
the answer to all of them.....the almighty searchbar
Quote by pwninator123
EPIC LOLZ FROM THE LEFTY!!!!!!

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

When I brought up this page, so much fail dumped out of my computer screen and all over my hands, severely damaging my ability as a musician.
1. It amplifies the signal a little bit before it heads into the power amp. It's got a very small amplification factor compared to the power amp.
2. I don't know. Perhaps something that amplifies your signal after it's dropped?
3. Does the main amplification from the preamp to the speaker. It has a high amplification factor.
4. Converts AC current from the wall to DC current.
5. A tube amplifies, basically. It's like a transistor only it's got some differences which don't affect its overall function too terribly much.
6. Instrument cable carries small voltages from your pickups, speaker cable carries a large load from your amplifier. Don't use instrument instead of speaker cable, but you can use a speaker cable anywhere you'd use an instrument cable.
7. It's a switch that shunts your signal to ground, going from sound to no sound very fast.

Wikipedia can help for a more detailed response to most, if not all, of these.
Quote by cokeisbetter

6. Instrument cable carries small voltages from your pickups, speaker cable carries a large load from your amplifier. Don't use instrument instead of speaker cable, but you can use a speaker cable anywhere you'd use an instrument cable.

are there any advantages to using speaker cable if it can withstand more voltage?
Quote by cokeisbetter
1. It amplifies the signal a little bit before it heads into the power amp. It's got a very small amplification factor compared to the power amp.
2. I don't know. Perhaps something that amplifies your signal after it's dropped?
3. Does the main amplification from the preamp to the speaker. It has a high amplification factor.
4. Converts AC current from the wall to DC current.
5. A tube amplifies, basically. It's like a transistor only it's got some differences which don't affect its overall function too terribly much.
7. It's a switch that shunts your signal to ground, going from sound to no sound very fast.

Wikipedia can help for a more detailed response to most, if not all, of these.

1. A preamp shapes your tone (minus those of the power stage - power tube saturation, warmth) - equalization, volume, gain, reverb...no amplification whatsoever. (unless line out is available)

2. whatever

3. A power amp supplies THE (only) amplification, "high amplification factor" - wtf?

4. meh, whatever

6. lolololol, what kind of question is that? The names give it away

7. Yep, signal...off
There's no such thing as a reamp...prolly just a typo you saw somewhere.

Use the Search, please. Jesus...

Killswitches: The Ultimate Killswitch Thread

Everything else: UG Electronics- Official Thread
i have heard re-amping in recording terms. i think it is when you play through a guitar amp then mic the signal and then run it though an amp again for tonal purposes... something like that. cant be arsed to google it. /ts can do that. just search for recording electric guitars and you will come across it soner or later.
Thank you please.