Hi, I've been playing guitar for about 5 months now, and I think I should get a new electric guitar. I have a Gibson SG faded, but it has some problems. I have about $850 that I can spend on a new guitar. I play classic rock, punk rock, grunge, and some metal. I would really like to get a Fender. I like the Jaguar, Mustang, and the Stratocaster. I was looking into the 60's and 70's Classic Player or Series model (I forgot which one, it was $600). Can somebody help me out? Thanks.
what are the "problems" with your SG ?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
If you play metal, you are going to need a humbucker.

There are Strats with a HSS configuration, so I would look into one of those. You can still achieve the single coil sound, but have the thick tone the bucker gives for grunge and metal.
mim fat strat
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
1. What is wrong with your guitar?
2. Amps are much more important than guitars, look into a new amp first. (I'm of course assuming your guitar is better than your amp.)
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
Quote by mikeyElite
what are the "problems" with your SG ?

It came with a cracked headstock, but it was fixed. There's a dip in the neck.

I'm using an el cheapo Yamaha amp.
I advise getting a new amp. The "problem" with your SG is not a problem at all, it's just what SGs do. In fact, getting a new guitar at this point would be the biggest mistake you could make.
Well, if I should get a new amp, I don't have a clue as to what to get.
Well for your situation, and by that I mean a young player that plays a wide variety of genres, I think you should check out...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Spider-III-75-Combo-Amplifier?sku=482272

I know you have a lot more money, but that doesn't necessarily mean you should use it all. With this, you get a lot of different types of tones out of it, both clean and distorted. And you'll still have a good hunk of change to put towards your next purchase for when it's time to upgrade once you get much better. Just take a listen to the sound clips on the page and if you like 'em, i'd say for sure try this one out at your local store.
Quote by stinger12345
Well for your situation, and by that I mean a young player that plays a wide variety of genres, I think you should check out...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Spider-III-75-Combo-Amplifier?sku=482272

I know you have a lot more money, but that doesn't necessarily mean you should use it all. With this, you get a lot of different types of tones out of it, both clean and distorted. And you'll still have a good hunk of change to put towards your next purchase for when it's time to upgrade once you get much better. Just take a listen to the sound clips on the page and if you like 'em, i'd say for sure try this one out at your local store.

i really hope you didnt just suggest the spider 3.... and the 75 watt one at that take your money and buy a blackheart.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
^^+1 to the no spider 3. The only spider that is useful is the 15 watt one as a very quiet, very portable practice amp, anything bigger is useless.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
Quote by stinger12345

Oh no you di-int.

I suggest you look for a used Crate Palomino V32. Great amps, but are sadly discontinued.
What's wrong with a Spider 3 for an early guitarist looking to play a wide array of music?
^Nothing, if it's the 15 watt one. With the 75 watt one you might as well just save your money for a better amp.