Um Hey everyone I'm Joe and i've been playing since August 15 2007 but I doubt myself sometimes and I got my first Electric at Christmas and i'm curious on a few things. I've saved up $254 to spend on a new Electric, A Epiphone LP Standard Plus Top(Cherry Sunburst) which is $549 at Guitar Center. I have a Starcaster by Fender and a Squire SP-10 Amp which was bought from Sams Club. I don't know if i should buy the guitar first or the amp i want. I'm not sure if wat amp i want either..I want a Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 slant cab 1/2 stack buts that costs more than the guitar. I want a Gig amp. I plan on buying a Jimi Hendrix Wah and a Boss Blues Driver and A Digital Delay but i don't know what to get first.

The second thing i need to know is what kind of techniques should i practice so when i'm in a band and need to make riffs they will sound like GNR and Velvet Revolver style guitar playin(I'm basicly sayin what kinda of techniques do i need to learn to play like slash lol, and Jimi Hendrix, and Jimmy Page my 3 favorite guitarists)

This is very appriciated
Quote by JJ74
Um Hey everyone I'm Joe and i've been playing since August 15 2007 but I doubt myself sometimes and I got my first Electric at Christmas and i'm curious on a few things. I've saved up $254 to spend on a new Electric, A Epiphone LP Standard Plus Top(Cherry Sunburst) which is $549 at Guitar Center. I have a Starcaster by Fender and a Squire SP-10 Amp which was bought from Sams Club. I don't know if i should buy the guitar first or the amp i want. I'm not sure if wat amp i want either..I want a Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 slant cab 1/2 stack buts that costs more than the guitar. I want a Gig amp. I plan on buying a Jimi Hendrix Wah and a Boss Blues Driver and A Digital Delay but i don't know what to get first.

The second thing i need to know is what kind of techniques should i practice so when i'm in a band and need to make riffs they will sound like GNR and Velvet Revolver style guitar playin(I'm basicly sayin what kinda of techniques do i need to learn to play like slash lol, and Jimi Hendrix, and Jimmy Page my 3 favorite guitarists)

This is very appriciated

no you don't.
-you don't need a half stack
-you don't need 100 watts-a 30 watt tube amp will be enough for you, because you don't need 100 watts of power.
-you'll regret any purchase of an MG

get something like a 50 watt valveking, or something like that. (30-50 watt, TUBE!!) new amp before new guitar, ALWAYS!! and avoid at all costs anything to do with the names "Marshall MG" or "Line6 Spider"--NO EXCEPTIONS!!!
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
Last edited by sabres61 at Jun 30, 2008,
ok dude.. i'll try to get to all of your things.. you got your first guitar for christmas, and it's june now.. you have 250 bucks to spend, and want gear to go gigging with a band you don't have yet.. you want to play like slash (i bet you play guitar hero).

so heres what i say.. hold off on a new guitar and a new amp for a while, you seem like you just want name brand stuff and don't care about playing guitar so much.. you don't need a half stack, trust me... you should get a bigger combo, maybe upgrade to a 30 watt Marshall MG30DFX if you insist on getting a marshall amp. MG's are notorious for being horrible.. i have the 30 watt and i don't think it's too bad.. i use it to play with my band... it's plenty enough for a fraction of the price.

as for the guitar, you want a les paul because slash has one, the guitar isn't to shabby if you are looking for an intermediate between starter and pro...

as for the effects, i'd say try out some, and the ones you like, buy them.. spend your money on them.. they will drastically change the sound of your guitar for a fraction of the cost... don't get a jimi hendrix wah... get the original crybaby wah.. it's what he ACTUALLY used... signiture gear IMHO is for people who just like the names on stuff, regardless of tone...

As for technique... play a lot of the type of music you want to sounds like... once you have mastered that, THEN you will easily be able to write riffs like it... chances are this will take a few years... GNR and Velvet Revolver doesn't come overnight, no matter how much you practice.

As for a band... try and find people before you think about stuff for the band.. keep in mind there will be 3 other opinions, and you wont always get what you want.

Also, once you are in a band, then you should get the new AMP first in order to be loud enough for practice, no half stack ****, then get the new GUITAR to make it sound better, then play a few small shows out of your garage, see if people even like it, then buy the "gigging amp" you want.. you will know what you like then.. don't get a marshall for the name.. blindfold test stuff and go for what you like best.
Thx...btw i don't play guitar hero...Around here there really isn't enought info to judge on. I've played a Epi LP Classic thru a Marshall MG 150 DFX and i thought wow i like it. In honesty i am in a band(I wish i had an excuse i am trying to hide it) but I'm just a fan of Les Pauls...Its me and 2 fiends 1 of them has been playing longer than me on guitar. I'd say me and him play about even because when we're talking about guitars and stuff he said something about a guitar dual(He plays guitar hero) between me and this one guy (Who has been playing for 3 years but he doesn't sound very good) I really like the JVM series but they are expensive i want an inexpensive amp thats good...I hate my amp now its sounds distorted ALL THE TIME. I've only tried out the Jimi Hendrix wah i didn't have time to test the others...I'm gonna get the one u suggested(Its only like $70. Whats the Price on the 30 watt?
sounds like youre getting ahead of yourself here. First concentrate on what you HAVE. then you were from there.

You have a good if not GREAT guitar. start messing around on that because believe me no one is gig ready in a year. dont worry about buying a bigger amp until you have a necessity, i.e. being in a band where youre gonna need it. and when you do, dont get the MG. you may get it and like it but thatll last like 2 months. its called Gear Honeymoon.

as for your effects, have fun. do what you want but remember, whatever gear you buy now is less money for your gig amp later. plus you dont want to run a billion things into your little amp.

as for techinque, look for the big theory lesson on this site. start learning the major and minor scales, minor pentatonic, natural minor and i BELIEVE i read somewhere that Slash uses the harmonic minor. more importantly, learn the theory behind these scales.

you got good tastes and good ambitions, but dont worry. remember. this **** takes time and its not easy. work on building yourself up so you can perform for you, then worry about performing for others.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
Last edited by HyperBoy2519 at Jun 30, 2008,
I guess its influenced by the music i listen to most of the time but i prefer Jimmy Page and led zeppelin over Slash, GNR, and Velvet Revolver. I've researched page and his equipment to the point if i do a cover of whole lotta love i'd buy a theremin just for that one song...