Page 1 of 2
Hello UG,
Heres the lowdown!
I have a Peavey VK112 and I've tried everything... I'm currently using a metal muff with it and I cant stand it anymore...

Its time to face up to denial..

Its sooo not metal enough...
So I really need an amp that can get great metal tone all on its own!
My limit is 700, 800 maybe. US..

I own a Jackson DK2 btw if that helps...
BTW I play thrash/power metal, and a little bit of Death metal...

I'm looking for anything that could do things close to Nevermore, BLind Guardian, Children of Bodom, But loosly though! I'm not trying to full on copy anyone.
Bugera 6262?
JCM 800 used on ebay with a 2x12 cab if ur on a tight budget
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American 52 Telecaster RI
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
Orange Cabinets
Quote by jordy-77
JCM 800 used on ebay with a 2x12 cab if ur on a tight budget

Are you kidding?

Anywho, you're likely better off with something like the 5150 or randall
Quote by DiMeTiMe
+3.141592

Quote by imgooley
It was such a good suggestion you gave him pi?

yeah, he gave me pi.
Before you throw away the VK, try some of these:

A set of these: http://store.tubedepot.com/jj-6l6gc.html

Some of these: http://store.tubedepot.com/ts-12ax7.html

one of these: http://warehousespeakers.com/proddetail.php?prod=retro30_12

and one of these tossed in for good measure: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DigiTech-Bad-Monkey-Tube-Overdrive-Pedal?sku=150831

If those don't work, go for a Randall RG50TC
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Wow noob the vk is fine. Maybe it is because of the fact that your using a metal muff.
Quote by GuitarUltimate?
Are you kidding?

Anywho, you're likely better off with something like the 5150 or randall

+3.141592

Like I suggested before, get the RH50T (or RG50TC - same amp - if you want it in combo form).
Last edited by DiMeTiMe at Jun 30, 2008,
Quote by DiMeTiMe
+3.141592

It was such a good suggestion you gave him pi? I really need to hear some of these randall amps.
Quote by imgooley
It was such a good suggestion you gave him pi? I really need to hear some of these randall amps.

Yeah!

What local music stores do you have? 'Cause they have a shizload of Randall's at Tom Lees...maybe Long &McQuade...
Quote by Chomelet
Wow noob the vk is fine. Maybe it is because of the fact that your using a metal muff.

Little harsh there friend... I've been trying to get a real good metal tone out of it for a while. The MM pedal gets me a early 80's metal tone at best, But I dont feel like i'm gonna get really heavy tight metal tone from it...

And to the above poster who mentioned modding it... with all that put into would it completely change my tone into something I'd like?(Some heavier then what I have?)

I'm just alittle lost, and slighty frusterated, so any suggestions would be helpful!
Thanks to anyone...
Quote by SykoDelik

And to the above poster who mentioned modding it... with all that put into would it completely change my tone into something I'd like?(Some heavier then what I have?)

Probably.
First off, the Valveking is legendary for having some of the worst stock parts.
Swapping the speaker to something good (like the one I linked to you, but feel free to check out other speakers), and putting in good valves will really improve your tone.
And, the bad monkey is for tightening up or increasing your distortion.
It's worth a try.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by DiMeTiMe

Yeah!

What local music stores do you have? 'Cause they have a shizload of Randall's at Tom Lees...maybe Long &McQuade...

There a tons of local shops, but I am not familiar with many of them. The one independent shop that I frequent (only know where it is because there is a used music store next to it) has a bunch of Orange amps and stuff, but no Randalls. The other one that I go to on a regular basis is GC.

I'll find one, for sure. I've been meaning to go to a different music store so I could try a Traynor, so maybe they'll have them there.
Quote by imgooley
There a tons of local shops, but I am not familiar with many of them. The one independent shop that I frequent (only know where it is because there is a used music store next to it) has a bunch of Orange amps and stuff, but no Randalls. The other one that I go to on a regular basis is GC.

I'll find one, for sure. I've been meaning to go to a different music store so I could try a Traynor, so maybe they'll have them there.

Cool, hope you get to try 'em .
A Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier for $750 on Ebay.
Fender Jaguar
Morley PVO +
TC Polytune
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss DS2
Blackstar HT-40
Digitech Timebender
TC Trinity

(offboard; Whammy IV, Crybaby 535Q, Digitech RP100A)
Hmmmm...

So maybe modd the hell out of my Valveking, or try a couple of those amps...

Are the Randalls carried at GC or Samash?
I'll check with them but I would like to really try that amp out..

Follow up question, Is it difficult to change tubes? I could do a speaker no prob, Just never changed tubes....
Trust me, the Mesas are insane.
Used by Metallica, Foo Fighters and Cannibal Corpse.

I would get one if I could affort one.
Fender Jaguar
Morley PVO +
TC Polytune
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss DS2
Blackstar HT-40
Digitech Timebender
TC Trinity

God... A Mesa would be a dream... Is there a Duel Recto in Combo form? In my price range?

Or am I asking for too much...?
I don't think you can get more than a head for less than a 1000 bucks.
If I could, I would buy a Dual Rectifier Head, ans save up to some kind of cab, maybe a Marshall, I think they're about $300.

The problem is, it breaks the bank...

I don't know if there are any combos. Take a look on their website.
Fender Jaguar
Morley PVO +
TC Polytune
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss DS2
Blackstar HT-40
Digitech Timebender
TC Trinity

How are Rectoverbs?

A little under $900... thats used on Ebay!
An option no less... How is it for metal?
I'm sorry, but I haven't tried any of those.

I would try to get as much info. about them as possible (Youtube, professional and other reviews, etc.), but the best would be to try it. I have never bought any big piece of equipment (I don't really own any, anyway) before trying it.
Fender Jaguar
Morley PVO +
TC Polytune
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss DS2
Blackstar HT-40
Digitech Timebender
TC Trinity

I feel u on that one!
Theres no way I'm blowing this much cash on something I've never played...
dude...just keep the vk...and get a metalmaster pedal. my buddy has a fender fm100 and it sounds like shaz, but he still gets some sick metal tones just from the metal master, thats only like 100 bucks at the very most.

and another thing, are you using the distortion channel? if you use a distortion pedal on the distortion channel it might make it sound shatty too, ive never used that combo with that amp so im just saying from experience with other amps
Last edited by codyshredfoo at Jun 30, 2008,
I was using the pedal on the clean channel, But it just doesnt sound plesent... at all!
hm...well ive never used that pedal, but im serious.
get a metal master. it made my bc rich sound sick through a solid state amp, even if you get a better amp later itys still an awesome pedal to have around. and im not like some people on this forum talkin about **** they've never played.

im not gonna pretend im an expert im just sayin from experience
indeed do it for sure, but you should ask them if you can try it through an amp at least similar to yours...if not the same one...cuz if your gc is like the one here, they just have a bunch of pedals hooked up to a sheit sounding speaker
So true!
They had the nerve to have an MG30 hooked up to the pedal test section...
Randall RH50T destroys VKs,Bugeras and whatnot in the same range. Bugeras are overly hyped...they have a very hollow and lifeless low end chunk! They also are scooped like ****!
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

7-String guitars are badass!
Quote by darkarbiter7
Probably.
First off, the Valveking is legendary for having some of the worst stock parts.
Swapping the speaker to something good (like the one I linked to you, but feel free to check out other speakers), and putting in good valves will really improve your tone.
And, the bad monkey is for tightening up or increasing your distortion.
It's worth a try.

I disagree. I think this smells like throwing good money after bad. You can certainly improve the amp, but he's not going to get a metal monster out of it this way.

Better to cut your losses, sell the amp, and look into something like a second hand 5150 combo (which will be great for you stock, but could also benefit from a speaker/tube swap! - like almost every non-boutique amp).
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
I disagree. I think this smells like throwing good money after bad. You can certainly improve the amp, but he's not going to get a metal monster out of it this way.

Better to cut your losses, sell the amp, and look into something like a second hand 5150 combo (which will be great for you stock, but could also benefit from a speaker/tube swap! - like almost every non-boutique amp).

+1

I love it when Slats posts, nobody else has to any work. It's just a volley of +1, I agree, and This man wins the prize.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by Penn100
I don't think you can get more than a head for less than a 1000 bucks.
If I could, I would buy a Dual Rectifier Head, ans save up to some kind of cab, maybe a Marshall, I think they're about $300.

The problem is, it breaks the bank...

I don't know if there are any combos. Take a look on their website.

You can find F-50's and rectoverbs or 700-800 USD. gotta look hard though, especially on craigslist.

Thrash? How about a peavey windsor? If you don't need cleans.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
krank rev jr?

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Here's a sound sample of me playing some metalcore with my Randall RH50T. Only a overdrive is connected. That's just the amps distortion.

Sorry for looking like ****ing leisure suit larry from some 90s Larry game. Something ****ed my ****ing quality up Excuse my playing also.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5730661816236276324
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

7-String guitars are badass!
IT'S NOT WORTH MODDING THE VALVEKING, TRUST ME. I KNOW FROM EXP. SELL IT! CUT YOUR LOSES! MOVE ON! Seriously, why spend the money for all these upgrades when the amp won't even sound half as good as higher quality amps ie. 5150, JCM 800/900, Randall RM, Mesa, etc. Why deck out a Cavalier w/ tints, rims, ground effects, parts, spoilers, etc. to make it look like an Eclipse when you can save the money on upgrades and just buy an Eclipse.
i was looking at the valveking to but now i like the RH50TC
but does the RH50TC have good cleans to?
Page 1 of 2