So, I'm getting into scale now and i just wanted to know if I have to learn ever scale?

or Do I just learn the ones that I want? (Harmonic,Minor Pentontic,Blues,Natural Minor,Diminished)

and last question

Is Inion scale the C major scale? sorry, If spelled it wrong.

EDIT: is Ionion the first degree of the C Major scale? so it is the C of it?
Last edited by herman ri2 at Jun 30, 2008,
You don't HAVE to learn anything. The major scale is VERY useful though. The other scales you listed there are used a lot too (maybe not diminished as much) but yeah.

Ionian = Major scale, yes.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Its really up to you. I prefer to learn all the scales just cause it increases my knoweldge, but i started out just learning alot of scales that pertained to Metal style, cause thats what I mostly play, but I'm really in to blues and jazz as well so I started learning all the scales out of the "Guitar Grimore" (spelling), it defintely helps, so i recommend learning as many as possible. Even if its not something that would fit with your normal style, its good to learn as much as you can to better yourself as a guitarist, and also learning things outside of your normal style/box helps you become better at writing and improvising. Anything worth doin, is worth doing right.

hope this made sense and helped
Agile Septor Elite 7-String
ESP H-1007
ESP H-1001
Peavey 5150
Mesa Boogie Cab

Recording Gear -
PreSonus FireStudio Interface
CX5 Studio Monitors
Last edited by BackSeatSuicide at Jun 30, 2008,
u can learn all the scales but ur just gonna forget them anyways. it's best to learn the ones ur gonna use most frequently and that are most useful like the typical major minor pentationic blues etc
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
Quote by metal4all
You don't HAVE to learn anything. The major scale is VERY useful though. The other scales you listed there are used a lot too (maybe not diminished as much) but yeah.

Ionian = Major scale, yes.

I mean is it the Tonic/First degree of the C Major Scale? and it is the C of it?
Ionian is a mode of the major scale. Modes are simply put (very simply) the major scale starting (and resolving) to a different a note. Say you play the C major scale. If you play it and resolve to C you're playing C Ionian. If you play the same scale but sort of revolve around the D note and play it so it resolves to D, you're playing D Dorian. I don't know if i would dwell into modes if i were you. I don't know how much you know already.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
Ionian is a mode of the major scale. Modes are simply put (very simply) the major scale starting (and resolving) to a different a note. Say you play the C major scale. If you play it and resolve to C you're playing C Ionian. If you play the same scale but sort of revolve around the D note and play it so it resolves to D, you're playing D Dorian. I don't know if i would dwell into modes if i were you. I don't know how much you know already.

I know a bit.

I know Intervals,Scales,Pitches,I can read notation and a bit of others.

I been reading Complete Idiots Guide to: Music Thoery (1 chapter everyday)

I know that Io,Dor,Phy,Lyd,Mix,Aeo,Lor come in that order thats why I asked if Ionian comes first in the C major scale.I needed someone to confirm it and thankfully you did.

Thank you.
Last edited by herman ri2 at Jun 30, 2008,
How good are you with using scales? as in... Can you build chords? Can you build major scales?

Edit: oh, nvm. no problem.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
How good are you with using scales? as in... Can you build chords? Can you build major scales?

Edit: oh, nvm. no problem.

Chords I'm kind of having problems.

I have a question about Chords.

If the Scale is CDEFGABC (C Major) can I just use any chord that has a first degree of any degree that in the Scale execpt minor chords? like for example all the major chords?
Not really... if you were playing in C Major, you could play any chord that is built with notes from C Major. So basically, use any chord that uses the notes c,d,e,f,g,a,b,c. For instance, Em, Cmaj, Gmaj, Amin, etc.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
Not really... if you were playing in C Major, you could play any chord that is built with notes from C Major. So basically, use any chord that uses the notes c,d,e,f,g,a,b,c. For instance, Em, Cmaj, Gmaj, Amin, etc.

Thanks a lot man.

I'm so thankful you explained things clearly.

thanks once again.
Quote by herman ri2
Chords I'm kind of having problems.

I have a question about Chords.

If the Scale is CDEFGABC (C Major) can I just use any chord that has a first degree of any degree that in the Scale execpt minor chords? like for example all the major chords?

It's like Metal4all said you would construct your chords from the scale you are in.

Since you know intervals it will be easier to explain.

You start with a note in the scale then stack a third interval from the scale you are using on top of it and then a third on top of that.

Whether the resulting triad is Maj Min Dim or Aug will depend on the particular scale and it's step pattern.

In the Major Scale (Ionian Mode) for example the step pattern is W-W-H-W-W-W-H. In the key of C this is C D E F G A B C.
So building a triad on the tonic (in this case C) would see us stack an E on top and a G on top of that giving us CEG or C major. (note how from C to E is two Whole tone a major third interval and from the E to the G is a Whole tone plus a Half tone a minor third)
But if we started on the second step of the scale (in this case D) our first third would be F and a third above that would be A. Because the D to F is a whole tone plus a half tone it is a minor third interval and the F to the A is two whole tones (a major third) we get Dm.

Because the step pattern is the same for all keys of the major scale the triad types built on each scale step also the same no matter which key.
I = Maj
ii = min
iii = min
IV = Maj
V = Maj
vi = min
viidim = diminished (I can't do the little circle thing to denote a diminished triad)

I hope that's not too confusing
Si
Quote by herman ri2
Thanks a lot man.

I'm so thankful you explained things clearly.

thanks once again.

No problem man.

20Tigers, you really go the extra mile when answering questions. Props.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥