hey,

im in a band called shadows of the inspired. were a hardcore/metal band and me and my other guitarist are looking to buy half stacks. we heard good nad bad things about crates and heard good and bad things about marshall. were not looking to spend alot of money, so anything below 500 would be nice. all were looking for is to be heard over the drums. can anyone help me out with some links?

thanks
Quote by youbleedtoslowx
hey,

im in a band called shadows of the inspired. were a hardcore/metal band and me and my other guitarist are looking to buy half stacks. we heard good nad bad things about crates and heard good and bad things about marshall. were not looking to spend alot of money, so anything below 500 would be nice. all were looking for is to be heard over the drums. can anyone help me out with some links?

thanks

you don't need a halfstack
if you have the extra $$ than sure, but if you really want the right purchase than peavey 5150/6505 used i've heard go for around 50, its 60 watts and thats plenty
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by youbleedtoslowx
i have a peavy studio pro and its 80 watts. im not a fan of peavys.

facepalm
nice generalization there idiot
horrible advice
thats like saying all marshalls are bad because of the mg
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Don't need a halfstack.

Every one will say used 5150/6505 combo.

and add a

/thread

to it.
used 5150/6505 combo.

/thread.

... d'oh!

seriously, look into bugera amps if we can't sway you from getting a crate/marshall halfstack. they'll sound perfect for what you want, and they're cheap. their quality is also most likely better than those $500 halfstacks you're looking at.

if you're gonna get the marshall/crate/any cheap solidstate halfstack anyway, don't bother posting here.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by youbleedtoslowx
im just looking for a bad ass amp, what about a line 6. i heard there great for hardcore/metal music?

Troll maybe?

Edit: Okay I can take you seriously now. Look vids up on youtube and you can usually find videos of people playing through the amp.
Last edited by Regression at Jun 30, 2008,
If you MUST get a halfstack, (which you don't), the Bugera Head is 550, and you can get a Avatar 4x12 for 400 bucks new.

so 950+tax will get you a killer halfstack.

OR

You can spend 500 bucks on a used 5150/6505 combo, or a new Bugera 6262.

OR

You can spend 500 bucks on a shitty SS halfstack, and hate it in 2 months. And THEN buy a used 5150/6505 combo or Bugera 6262 combo for 500 bucks, thusly spending 1000 dollars in the end.

Your choice.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
im not looking for a half stack anymore. just looking for some kind of amp that sounds good distorted and can be heard over the drums for under 500$.
Quote by youbleedtoslowx
im just looking for a bad ass amp, what about a line 6. i heard there great for hardcore/metal music?

If you like 1's and 0's. The effects on it are too digital.
The only way you're actually going to find a half-stack for under 500 clams that is made for metal/hardcore is if you click around eBay all day and night
dont listen to these people, i hav a line 6 and its awesome for metal, if you can get a cheap decent sounding cab get the spider 3 hd150. its like 350-400 i think.

maybe everyone else would like them too if they had robot ears...
Quote by codyshredfoo
dont listen to these people, i hav a line 6 and its awesome for metal, if you can get a cheap decent sounding cab get the spider 3 hd150. its like 350-400 i think.

Yeah...

The HD150 is a Spider 3 head. It's garbage. I have the spider III 15 watter, and it's garbage.

The Spider Valve, on the other hand, is not as bad (the HD100).
Quote by codyshredfoo

You my friend, are giving bad advice.

For the money he has to spend he can get a tube amp which are vastly superior to solidstates. A Spider 3 half stack is a ridiculous waste of money.

TS, your best bet for your budget is to take the other guys advice about the Peavey combo, and perhaps but an overdrive in front of it to give yourself some more gain, a nice Tube Screamer will get you there as well as tighten everything up.
Quote by imgooley
Yeah...

The HD150 is a Spider 3 head. It's garbage. I have the spider III 15 watter, and it's garbage.

The Spider Valve, on the other hand, is not as bad (the HD100).

your comparing a 15 watt combo to a 150 watt head...im not gonna get into it.

and the spider valve is gonna run him 800 bucks, just for the head
Quote by codyshredfoo
your comparing a 15 watt combo to a 150 watt head...im not gonna get into it.

and the spider valve is gonna run him 800 bucks, just for the head

1. It's a solid state amp
2. It has the same digital pre amp
3. If the 15 watt combo is garbage, why would anyone want to get the 150 watt head (that's really just 75 watts stereo)

And most good heads run for more than he has to spend.

thank you, and goodnight.
hes looking for metal distortion.

spder 3 has probably the most brutal distortion you can get for the price. and all you need is a hord and a guitar
Quote by codyshredfoo
hes looking for metal distortion.

spder 3 has probably the most brutal distortion you can get for the price. and all you need is a hord and a guitar

The Spider III has some br00talz0rz d1zt0rti0nz, but is it as crushing as one of these?

OR one of these?

dude.
i know your being sarcastic, but marshals can suck a fart outta my ass.

i played every single one at guitar center and they all sound like sht, well their alright for bluesy distortion, but you might as well have an amp thats brutal but can still pull off being bluesy and nice sounding
Quote by codyshredfoo
dude.
i know your being sarcastic, but marshals can suck a fart outta my ass.

i played every single one at guitar center and they all sound like sht, well their alright for bluesy distortion, but you might as well have an amp thats brutal but can still pull off being bluesy and nice sounding

An MG is worse than a spider.

And all tube marshalls are pretty freakin great. A lot(read: most) of old school metal artists use/used them.

Also, I would like to add that you are wrong about the spider. They are truly terrible amps. I've played them extensively, seeing as I own one, and I have come to the conclusion that they are nearly the scum of the earth, along with the Marshall MG.

Also, you probably only played the MG (because that seems to be the only marshall they carryat GC), so you probably never played an all tube Marshall, and therefore don't know how brutal they can get (See: Kerry King).

To conclude: Why don't you ever see any professionals use Line 6 Spider III amps? Because the sound like a mule being run over by a train.
lol, that sounds pretty brutal to me

edit: oh and i dunno if they were all mg amps, i just know i was staying at my mom's friends house who lived like 5 mins from gc on bike, i just went around and played all the amps they had in the whole store
Last edited by codyshredfoo at Jun 30, 2008,
lol, well it seems like everyone agrees fk mgs as far as metal goes, so go into a guitar store, plug into a spider 3 and see if its the right thing for you.

imo i think spider 3s are awesome for metal, people dont agree with me, so just go play one, if your lookin for metal dist. line 6 is pretty sweet
Quote by youbleedtoslowx
so you say spiders are ****
mgs are ****

wtf should i buy?

Neither.

Used 5150/6505 combo or Bugera 6262 combo

/thread.
Quote by imgooley
Neither.

Used 5150/6505 combo or Bugera 6262 combo

/thread.

this
what the **** happened to this thread
got a bunch of newbs telling us line 6's are great?
jesus christ, i leave the read and look what the **** happens
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
this
what the **** happened to this thread
got a bunch of newbs telling us line 6's are great?
jesus christ, i leave the read and look what the **** happens

and who the FU/CK do you think you are?
i just listened to the line 6 on youtube. it sounds pretty good. i also listened to the bugera and it sounded more for like old metal.
Quote by codyshredfoo
and who the FU/CK do you think you are?

Someone who knows tone better than you

(Disclaimer: Tone is subjective. There is no such thing as 'good tone' vs. 'bad tone'. Only tone that makes you ejaculate in your pants vs. tone that makes you want to shove chopsticks in your ears.)
Quote by imgooley

(Disclaimer: Tone is subjective. There is no such thing as 'good tone' vs. 'bad tone'. Only tone that makes you ejaculate in your pants vs. tone that makes you want to shove chopsticks in your ears.)

agreed...maybe im just a broke fu.cker...but tone that makes me wanna shove chopsticks in my ears is like...1x5" crate amps...
Quote by youbleedtoslowx
i just listened to the line 6 on youtube. it sounds pretty good. i also listened to the bugera and it sounded more for like old metal.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eWxQQ64ZjCo

watch that

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RI_zjXXWrrk

then watch this

And compare.
Quote by codyshredfoo

agreed...maybe im just a broke fu.cker...but tone that makes me wanna shove chopsticks in my ears is like...1x5" crate amps...

Hm...

I like me a Crate V5 1x10. Or a Crate Palomino V8 1x8.
Quote by imgooley

haha thanks man
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by youbleedtoslowx

DO NOT GET the Line 6.
TRUST ME.

Get the Bugera OR the Peavey 5150/6505.
Those amps WILL get the sound you want. BOTH can do modern metal and will sound FANTASTIC.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Just buy a god damn Peavey 5150/6505 or a Bugera, or even a Randall RG50TC.
But the most imporant is that you don't buy some solid state **** (eg: Spider or MG - Make it thunder! ).
Fender MIA Stratocaster (with SD Twang Banger)
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Johnson Acoustic
Palmer FAB5