Im curious how that would sound...would you get an effect like the kid on August Rush did or would it just sound meh?
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I tried that on my friends acoustic-electric. Just sounded like a cheap electric guitar with distortion.
it sounds like a single coil going through the amp. its not to bad. i personally like it quite a bit. twangy with a good amount of bass. it also depends on your distortion. its not to bad with a pretty good distortion. something heavy probably wouldnt sound very good. thing single coils.
john butler
yerp im sure ill add something amazing here some day.
I just checked some videos on youtube, they actually don't sound so bad :P
It sounds pretty good, or can. If I crank the gain while playing through my tube amp, then it does have a kind of single coil sort of sound. Just have to be careful of feedback.
thats actually pretty cool. i thought when i saw that on august rush it was just a bunch of bs but i was wrong....cool. i'll have to try that sometime
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
i own an acoustic that i mounted with a strat pickup directly in the sound hole specifically for that purpose... sounds pretty badass to me, kinda like an old 50s hollowbody on crack... dunno how a stock acoustic pickup would sound though
Quote by mcb_69
john butler

/fail.

John Butler runs two seperate channels for his guitar, one for acoustic (using an normal acoustic pickup) and one for his 'electric' overdriven tone (using a traditional pickup)
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Quote by Roookie
I just checked some videos on youtube, they actually don't sound so bad :P

I don't think you can judge the sound quality in youtube! you should hear the original sound or a professionally-recorded one.
it can sound pretty good, Kurt Cobain did that on his cover of The Man Who Sold the World from MTV Unplugged (musicianship arguments aside this is a good example of the sound), although yes, you do need to watch for feedback as it can get quite nasty.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Jul 1, 2008,
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
it can sound pretty good, Kurt Cobain did that on his cover of The Man Who Sold the World from MTV Unplugged (musicianship arguments aside this is a good example of the sound), although yes, you do need to watch for feedback as it can get quite nasty.

Just so you know, his guitar was designed with two humbuckers mounted on top which made it behave much more like an electric (and ruined a perfectly nice Martin in the process).

That said, yes, distortion can sound great on an acoustic. Just mind the feedback.
Quote by GC Shred Off
Just so you know, his guitar was designed with two humbuckers mounted on top which made it behave much more like an electric (and ruined a perfectly nice Martin in the process).

That said, yes, distortion can sound great on an acoustic. Just mind the feedback.

oh yeah, I forgot about that, but I can still get a more or less identical on my ovation using the piezo pickup.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I have an image in my miand, maybe it's made up. But I'm pretty sure James Hetfield used distortion in S&M in some solo.

Also Ani DiFranco seems to use a lil' overdrive once in a while, and it sounds amazing.
It depends on the pickup on the acoustic guitar and also what kind of distortion you're using. It can actually sound pretty good.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
At low volumes it's fine - and very usable if blended with a clean tone. Obviously pickup choice is key.