I am trying to decide between two guitars.

First one is a jackson DKMG with EMG 81 bridge and 85 neck

Second is an ESP LTD EC-500 with EMG 81 bridge and 60 neck

I am wondering what the differences between the 85 and 60 are. I am looking to play metal but also want the ability to play some classic rock like zeppelin and gnr.
emgs arent the best for rock. replace em with seymour duncan pearly gates bridge and then distortion neck pickups
the ESP is your best bet. Better quality and playability. that 60 has great cleans. and yes you can play pretty much any style on EMGs, trust me i have them. its just they are best for metal, just like some pickups are best for jazz, but can do anything pretty much par. EMGs can do all that stuff par, just specialize in metal is all
If cleans don't matter to you and you want a floyd rose on your guitar - Jackson

I you like good cleans and you don't want a trem - ESP

Me - ESP
Quote by dullboy
emgs arent the best for rock. replace em with seymour duncan pearly gates bridge and then distortion neck pickups

I don't want to play rock, I play metal. I am not going to buy a new guitar then spend $100+ on new pups.

Yeah I am probably going to go with the esp, I am renting an ibanez right now and it has a trem and they just seem like a hassle to me just for the option to do some different sounds.

There is also the options of the ESP EC-400VF which has Seymour Duncan JB (B) /
’59 (N)

Would these still allow me to play metal and shred but also have nice cleans for classic rock?
id get the esp...i like the feel to them better...u want to play metal...def get a set of actives...passives can do metal but if you want that extra something, u need the actives...the emg 60 is ok not bad for rhythm and some clean sounds...the emg 81 is pretty good for straight metal, but to me the emg's get annoying after a while, especially through headphones, you can really hear how noisy they are, if you want an awesome metal active pickup that you can play anything with, looks for seymour duncan blackouts....they are coming in some guitars and sound much much better...and if you get a guitar with emgs in it and want to replace them with blackouts...they use the quick connect system...they'll drop right in with no wire or soldering needed
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
The quality of the Jackson is better than the LTD (MIJ vs MIK), but they are both high quality instruments nonetheless. Personally, I think LTD's don't feel as good as any of the MIJ Jacksons.

Judging from pickups alone, I would go for the EC-400VF with the Duncans. Why? because active pickups don't sound as good as they can be through most setups and from personal experience, I think the sound of passives are much much better than the sound of actives. If you're downright strict death/black/extreme/ultra/GAHHH/metalcore/metal, then I guess EMG's would be fine. But for anything else, do everyone a favor and get passives.
Quote by twinturboaudi
id get the esp...i like the feel to them better...u want to play metal...def get a set of actives...passives can do metal but if you want that extra something, u need the actives...the emg 60 is ok not bad for rhythm and some clean sounds...the emg 81 is pretty good for straight metal, but to me the emg's get annoying after a while, especially through headphones, you can really hear how noisy they are, if you want an awesome metal active pickup that you can play anything with, looks for seymour duncan blackouts....they are coming in some guitars and sound much much better...and if you get a guitar with emgs in it and want to replace them with blackouts...they use the quick connect system...they'll drop right in with no wire or soldering needed

LOL WUT
Jackson DKMG MIJ
Agile Al-3000
MXR Super Comp
Electro-Harmonix Octave Multiplexer
Crybaby
MXR 10 band EQ
Crate 120 watt ss
Personally, I think LTD's don't feel as good as any of the MIJ Jacksons. /steel337

I agree, I played a Jackson SL3 versus an MH-1000 and all I can say is wow. The SL3 just felt much more comfortable and easier to play. Not bashing the MH-1000, it is a very nice guitar, just agreeing with steel337 that I personally think LTD's don't feel as good as any of the MIJ Jacksons.
Quote by Copilot911
...I am wondering what the differences between the 85 and 60 are. I am looking to play metal but also want the ability to play some classic rock like zeppelin and gnr.
The 85 is a bit louder, and more aggressive than the 60. The 60 is a bit smoother, and more easily tamed with picking dynamics.

I'd go 60 personally. The cleans are very, very nice and it can also produce a really sweet dirty tone

Oh, BTW, 18-volts FTW
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Quote by shaakaal
LOL WUT

if you listen to emg's through a good set of monitor headphones...like beyerdynamics, you hear a lot of noise as opposed to a set of blackouts or passives...its very clear that they have a problem with backround noise and it gets very annoying, you can also pick up their sterility very easily
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
Sorry dude, I've been using EMGs for over 9 years and as much as I like twin-turbocharged Audis (Ughh...2.7 bi-turbo S4...RS6 Avant...), I have no experience with them ever being as noisy or as sterile (Even before I discovered the mystery of 18-volts) as you describe.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Quote by jm1681
Sorry dude, I've been using EMGs for over 9 years and as much as I like twin-turbocharged Audis (Ughh...2.7 bi-turbo S4...RS6 Avant...), I have no experience with them ever being as noisy or as sterile (Even before I discovered the mystery of 18-volts) as you describe.

really?...those are the two major complaints of the pickups and pretty much why a lot of people dont like them...you really need to a/b them with blackouts...you might change your mind...sometimes you cant pickup what sounds bad until you actually hear whats bad...if that makes any sense...and once you hear the bad part...thats all you'll hear
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
More often than not, I actually find peoples reactions to my guitars along the lines of "So this is what EMGs are all about eh?!?!"

With 18-volts in the mix, I've got headroom out-the-ass and clarity to put the Steve's Special to shame. I actually find them to be less abrasive with 18V as well.

Personal preference in the end I suppose. I'm not knocking one or the other, I'm just saying that after 9 years of use, I have never been able to complain about the sounds my EMGs have given me, and my ears are quite picky
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Quote by jm1681
More often than not, I actually find peoples reactions to my guitars along the lines of "So this is what EMGs are all about eh?!?!"

With 18-volts in the mix, I've got headroom out-the-ass and clarity to put the Steve's Special to shame. I actually find them to be less abrasive with 18V as well.

Personal preference in the end I suppose. I'm not knocking one or the other, I'm just saying that after 9 years of use, I have never been able to complain about the sounds my EMGs have given me, and my ears are quite picky

all that matters if that you enjoy them...i was just sharing my personal experience with them...trust me...i didnt want to buy two guitars with emgs just to have to replace them...
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
No doubt
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Quote by AsShadowsRemain
Personally, I think LTD's don't feel as good as any of the MIJ Jacksons. /steel337

I agree, I played a Jackson SL3 versus an MH-1000 and all I can say is wow. The SL3 just felt much more comfortable and easier to play. Not bashing the MH-1000, it is a very nice guitar, just agreeing with steel337 that I personally think LTD's don't feel as good as any of the MIJ Jacksons.

Comfortable in what way? Like the body shape or what?

Quote by steel337

If you're downright strict death/black/extreme/ultra/GAHHH/metalcore/metal, then I guess EMG's would be fine. But for anything else, do everyone a favor and get passives.

I don't want to play death metal or any of that hardcore stuff, more of metallica, megadeth, black sabbath, iron maiden and stuff like that.
Last edited by Copilot911 at Jun 30, 2008,
Quote by Copilot911
Body styles are nearly identical in the two models he mentions

Quote by Copilot911
I don't want to play death metal or any of that hardcore stuff, more of metallica, megadeth, black sabbath, iron maiden and stuff like that.
EMGs will be more than adequate. You'll find EMGs are horribly stereotyped as metal only, this is simply not the case
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Quote by Copilot911

James and Kirk both use emgs, Dave mustaine uses active pups, iron maiden i believe use Emgs, trust me EMG's are great for any genre of music, even clean sounds theres just a load of ludites around who refuse to accept new technology "ACTIVE PICKUPS THIS SURELY BE THE WORK OF THE DEVIL".
^ Word.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
I had an LP copy with emg 81-60 pups in it. They were sweet pups, I didn't have any problem playing clean or dirty with them. Granted there are better pups for clean and better pups for dirty but the emgs served me well.

Now I have a guitar with D'activators pups in it and they sound pretty much like the emgs but being passives they have the dynamics that the emgs lacked. No batteries needed either.

I have another guitar with pearly gates and alnico pro II in it. They're well suited for clean to crunch but does dirty pretty good.
Quote by mrbungle50221
James and Kirk both use emgs, Dave mustaine uses active pups, iron maiden i believe use Emgs, trust me EMG's are great for any genre of music, even clean sounds theres just a load of ludites around who refuse to accept new technology "ACTIVE PICKUPS THIS SURELY BE THE WORK OF THE DEVIL".

new technology??????? active pickups have been around for over 30 years
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15