Page 1 of 2
So what do you guys think is this a stupid thread and should I stop now or keep on.

TOP 5 FOR THE WORKING MUSICIAN
1000 and under

#1)MESA BOOGIE RECTOVERB COMBO
USED 800-1000USD
Genres:Punk, Metal, Blues, Fits alot of genres quite well
Sounds like:

Overview: The Dual Rectifiers smaller brother, if you want an amp that will cover it all Fender cleans, Marshall crunch, metal brootalz, then this is your amp my friend look no further.

Detailed Review

2 Channels
5 Modes (Channel 1 : Clean/Pushed - Channel 2 : Raw/Vintage/Modern)
Independent gain, eq, volume, and reverb for both channels

Covers all the bases, I would say. The Clean channel, in the Clean mode, gives a very nice Fender-type sound, especially with its deep bottom end. It's not exactly a Fender tone, but a bit similar. Cranking the gain while in this mode, gives a nice distorted bluesy rhythm sound, where pick attack affects the amount of distortion. The Clean channel in the Pushed mode, cuts the treble and bass frequencies, and focuses the sound toward the midrange, while providing a much higher amount of gain. Next, channel 2 in the Raw mode, seems to provide a decent rock/blues rhythm sound, and here you can get enough sensativity to picking attack to pull off those blues bends prety well.
Channel 2 in the Vintage mode, reminds me of a Marshall kind of sound, where the tone and distortion are much warmer and singing. You can dial in anything from warm blues to 80's metal in this mode.
Lastly, is of course, channel 2's Modern mode. This is where you can grow new teeth on your forehead. The gain likes to be no more than 60%, or else it can sound muddy at lower volumes because it has such an incredible amount. Otherwise, it just smokes up the room with thick, rich, biting tones, obviously tailored for Nu Metal, but is also useful for much more depending on how you set the controls. I find this to be the mode for lead solos. this channel is exceelent for using your guitar's volume knob-just back the volume off for much cleaner rhythm sounds, and crank it for solos.

#2)FENDER TWIN REVERB COMBO
USED 600-900USD
Genres:Blues, Jazz, Ska, Alternative

Overview: Considered by many to be the holy grail of tone, here is this Fender Twin.
Wether you want that Stevie Ray Vaugn sound, want some glassy cleans, how bout some Pop Punk this amp is great.

Detailed Review:
This is the perfect clean channel amp. Since there is no channel switching, you'll have to stick with either channel, and you'll have to buy effects pedals (unless you have a separate amp for distortion). Definitely NOT for metalheads, but for all kinds of rock, blues, and especially jazz, this thing is a godsend. It can produce it's own overdrive when cranked, but unless you are a really light-hearted musician, get yourself some good distortion or overdrive pedals. It really pays off if you save up for the good stuff.

#3)PEAVEY 6505 HEAD/COMBO
USED 700-800USD
Generes:Metal, Death Metal,

Overview:For that headbanger in all of us, you want facemelting distortion, you want gain so fiercesome it sends goosebumps up your spine eveytime you hit a note, you want something that would send the devil himself pissing his his pants uncontrolably with one strum of a chord, well ladies and gents you got it, the Peavey 6505.

Detailed Review:

this amp was designed by Eddie van halen to get the same saturated sound he got with is marshalls cranked all the way up, at low volumes. the sustain and compression you get from this thing is amazing. the amount of gain it has is over the top.

#4)MARSHALL JCM 900 HEAD
USED 500-800USD
Genres:Punk, Metal, Blues, Alternative
Sounds like:

Overview:Great amp for hard rock and blues. If your into alot of 90's alternative punk bands chances are they were using a JCM900 so go back and relive those tennage years with the JCM900

Detailed Review
:
Clean - The clean on this amp is nice and choppy, its not overly deep or overbaring, which is great in a band situation, but you may need to add an addition EQ to the front end for recording just to make the tone jump a little more. Its a good sound for clean rock passages, ska punk or pop-rock, it doesnt really have the bite for fast country or the smoothness for soul and r&b. Push the gain on this channel and you can get some nice rootsy break-up, great for 70's rock and punk.

#5)Mesa Boogie F-50 HEAD/COMBO
USED 700-900
Genres:Metal, Nu-Metal, Death Metal, Rock
Sounds like

Overview:This is way more than an entry level amp, good for about anything, but really excells in the metal catagory.

Detailed Review:
While it's not a Rectifier, it shares similar circuit design and therefore has more gain girth and range than the newer Express series.

Clean: Very verstatile, especially with the pull-bright switch on the gain knob of the clean channel. By using the gain knob and master volume, you can range from a fat clean sound a'la '59 bassman, or a shimmering clean with sparkle. It will break up as you get the gain knob and master volume past the 1-2 o'clock range, as the manual dictates. This is what it's meant to do. It is a very warm clean sound that can get as fat or as bright as you need it. The Fender heritage is there. With gain cranked, it will get to the soft clipping of the older vintage amps of the 60's and 70's, especially with hot pickups.

The distortion is outstanding on this amp; the 6L6's deliver excellent warm drive, and with more gain a more full-bodied distortion is possible, with rich harmonics and sweet, lush feedback. Stepping on the 'contour' button unleases a rectifier-style distortion that adds piles of harmonics. Anywhere from rock to metal.

Top Five for the Aspiring Musician
500 and under

#1)Peavey Classic 30 combo/head
USED 300-450USD
Genres: Blues, Jazz, Rock
Sounds like:

Overview:
If you want afford a hign end overpriced AC-30, or a hign end Fender, dont be ashamed to buy a Classic 30, youll find that great things come in small packages

Detailed Review:

This amp is a real project if you do buy it, by itself its alright but theres lots of potential in this little bugger. In a way its like a happy medium between a VOX and a Fender, but in all truth its an amp of its own that is sure to be classic for years to come.
First of people really like this amp for its cleans and Classic rock tones, and if your looking to do anything else its possible all you need is some pedals and this thing will sound great.
One thing you want to do of the bat is change the tube, people on here seem to like to put JJ's in preamp and Tung-suls in the power amp section so thats a good route to go.
Next thing would be to change the speaker to really see a major diffrence in your tone, alot of people think there horrible but still a step up form regular junk.
If you do those two things your set for a long long time, and youll be very happy to.

1) Made in the U.S. I know it won't fall apart next week like some Chinese made amps I've seen comments on. You pay for that quality, but I believe it's worth it.

2) Very easy to modify this amp. Tube changes, speaker changes, and check out http://www.blueguitar.org/articles.htm for some more cool tricks with this amp. Very versatile and flexible design and construction.

#2)Crate V-Series HEAD/COMBO15watt, 30watt 212, 50watt 112
USED 200-450USD the lower the wattage the bettor the deal
Generes: Rock, Blues, Metal
Sounds like:

Overview: Why buy an overpriced TSL or DSL marshall when you could easilly get that classic marshall sound and save a few bucks while your at it.

Detailed review
:

This is a real phanomanol amp for such a cheap price especially when you get it used as people already switch out the tubes and upgrade them.
I would say its upt there with the Peavey but unlike a vintage voicing this is more for a modern sound.
Well, it covers just about every sound I need, as my band is playing kind of in the styles of the Foo Fighters, QOTSA, and add some Oasis. It looks great style wise ( cool V30 logo & all black w/ silver pin stripes ).
for clubs, even though it's plenty loud enough by it's self at 30 watts. One feature that really sold me on this amp was the foot switchable boost ( footswitch was included ), this is almost like have another channel or two as it works for both clean and crunch and pushes the mids up by 10db's for solos or just different variations on the sound ya already have dialed in. I haven't recorded with it yet, but I'm looking forward to it, as I can get my sound without having to drive the engineer nuts by being too loud, even though that's sometimes fun, as my drummer is the one who records the band at his home studio! Oh, I almost forgot, it has a nice deep and un-boingy reverb that's a real inprovement over the old vintage club series that these V-Series amps replaced.

#3)Traynor YCV20-WR 112 Combo
Used under500USD
Genres:Jazz, Blues
Sounds like:

Overview: I chose this amp because i figured there needed to be something for that blues player who wanted fendery like cleans under 500, well here it is the traynor YCV-20.
The low wattage is perfect for that wonderfull tube overdrive without having to pop an ear dream to achieve.
Last edited by blabermouth5 at Jul 2, 2008,
Huh?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
from what i've heard, you pretty much nailed all of those
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
idk whether this should be in reviews or not but its spot on and really helpful. good stuff man. this is great with pointing those unfamilliar with good tone in the right direction.
Good idea.

Except that it only works for people in the US. You can't get most of those amps in the Europe for that cheap. But a lot of people in UG do come from the US, so it's still useful.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
I don't think this is a particularly good thread as there are other countries.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
I don't think this is a particularly good thread as there are other countries.

True. But other amps are easier to find in say, the UK. Like Laney. I have yet to see a store that carries them. And there is ONE laney post on my local craigslist.

Just sayin.
Quote by imgooley
True. But other amps are easier to find in say, the UK. Like Laney. I have yet to see a store that carries them. And there is ONE laney post on my local craigslist.

Just sayin.
That was kind of my point?
Quote by MrCarrot
That was kind of my point?

Hmm...

I does kind of sound like I'm disagreeing with you...

Really it was an ass around way of agreeing...
If you're agreeing then what would've thrown me was "true. but..."
I'd like to point out that I don't find the JCM900 or Mesa to be a particualry good blues amp. The Mesa is way too modern for blues IMO, myself being a bluesplayer and having owned a JCM900 and sold because it DIDN'T do blues good at all, I think that says it...
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by MrCarrot
If you're agreeing then what would've thrown me was "true. but..."

Sorry.

My command of the English language wanes as morning approaches. It's 5:40 AM and I got up at 8 yesterday morning.

I apologize for the confusion.
I agree with Gabe, neither the Rectoverb nor the F50 can pull off a nice blues OD convincingly... you either have to up the gain on the clean channel, which starts to sound farty and nasaly pretty quick, or turn the gain way down on the lead channel, which still sounds too high- gain, even around 8 o'clock.
this should be sticky and this should be updated on a daily bases with new info. very useful for these who don't know much about used gears.

being a hughes and kettner fan you can find some switchblades and trilogys around 900usd on ebay and craigslist.
I buy used a lot. It makes me look like i spent a lot more on my gear than I did. my amp and my 2 main guitars were bought used.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
I agree with Gabe, neither the Rectoverb nor the F50 can pull off a nice blues OD convincingly... you either have to up the gain on the clean channel, which starts to sound farty and nasaly pretty quick, or turn the gain way down on the lead channel, which still sounds too high- gain, even around 8 o'clock.

It's like, it can do blues if you're a metalhead, but it's definetly NOT a blues amp!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
It's like, it can do blues if you're a metalhead, but it's definetly NOT a blues amp!

Precisely.

Quasi- almost bluesy tone? Sure! Creamy, authentic blues OD? Not even close.
ok cool this thread is just ganna be the proto and ans im develoing it some more ill post it again and hear feedback.
Also what would be good is if you guys toold what famous bands play those amps or witch one would be wanted for a particular tone.
Im thinking of changing it from 5 amps in each section to amps that fit in the same genre.
and ill problay change from 5 in each section to 7 or 8 to accomidate UK people.
Also hows about a delta blues in the under 500 section?
its one hell of an amp probly the best one out there for such acheap price.
also what would be a good metal amp inthe under 500 section.
Quote by blabermouth5

Sounds like:

The Dual Rectifiers smaller brother, if you want an amp that will cover it all Fender cleans, Marshall crunch, metal brootalz, then this is your amp my friend look no further.

Wait wut.

Maybe it's just my opinion, but when I tried the Rectoverb, it sounded, surprisingly, like a Mesa.

It could do a passable fender clean impression, but old-school Marshall tones were a real mission to coax out of it.
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
I actually had this idea a while ago but was too lazy to make it. Good job, here's some prices i got from craigslist.

Mesa Boogie Mark IV: $900 - $1200
Mesa Boogie Road King: $2000 - $2400
Fender 5150 III: $1250 - $1500
Carvin X100b: $200 - $400
Mesa Boogie Roadster: $1800 - $2000
Peavey JSX: $700 - $1000
Soldano SLO: $2000 - $2500
Splawn Quickrod: $1250 - $1500
Splawn Nitro: $1500 - $1700
Quote by Geartrigger
I actually had this idea a while ago but was too lazy to make it. Good job, here's some prices i got from craigslist.

Mesa Boogie Mark IV: $900 - $1200
Mesa Boogie Road King: $2000 - $2400
Carvin X100b: $200 - $400
Mesa Boogie Roadster: $1800 - $2000
Peavey JSX: $700 - $1000
Splawn Quickrod: $1250 - $1500
Splawn Nitro: $1500 - $1700

I'd say your prices are pretty close, but some are a bit too high or low. For something in good shape it should be more like...

Mesa Boogie Mark IV: $1000 - $1400
Mesa Boogie Road King: $1700 - $2200
Fender 5150 III: $1100 - $1400
Carvin X100b: $200 - $450
Mesa Boogie Roadster: $1500 - $1900
Peavey JSX: $600 - $900
Splawn Quickrod: $1200 - $1500
Splawn Nitro: $1400 - $1700
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
^cool man, all contributions will be appreciated to improve the thread and hopefully it can become a sticky down the road. Also if you see anything that bothers you please point it out and ill be happy to make fix it.
Right now i want to keep it to maistream instruments to keep it simple and then ill go into the 1500 range.
What are some good British or European that would sell for under 1000 used, other than vox.
Quote by MatrixClaw
I'd say your prices are pretty close, but some are a bit too high or low. For something in good shape it should be more like...

Mesa Boogie Mark IV: $1000 - $1400
Mesa Boogie Road King: $1700 - $2200
Fender 5150 III: $1100 - $1400
Carvin X100b: $200 - $450
Mesa Boogie Roadster: $1500 - $1900
Peavey JSX: $600 - $900
Splawn Quickrod: $1200 - $1500
Splawn Nitro: $1400 - $1700

Yea I took these prices a few weeks ago so they might of gone up/down by now. I also included amps they were cheap but needed a little bit of work (missing knobs, footswitch).

Quote by blabermouth5
^cool man, all contributions will be appreciated to improve the thread and hopefully it can become a sticky down the road. Also if you see anything that bothers you please point it out and ill be happy to make fix it.
Right now i want to keep it to maistream instruments to keep it simple and then ill go into the 1500 range.
What are some good British or European that would sell for under 1000 used, other than vox.

Well there's a lot of Marshall heads and combos you can get for ~$1000, Orange Rocker 30 is a little of $1000, Tiny Terror is about $500. These are Ebay prices so they'll probably be cheaper on Craigslist. I'll think of more later.
Last edited by Geartrigger at Jul 2, 2008,
Maybe Craigslist has different places in different states even inside the US?

Anyway, the problem with the European used market is that it varies a lot between countries (at least I think so). And a lot of small countries means small used markets, thus higher prices and smaller selections.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
^so whould i make this thread based of US prices alone. i was thinking of putting an Engl thunder in the under 1000 section to accomidate UK guys, and a AC-15 and TT in the under 500 section.
also need a metal amp for the under 500 section, and was thinking of a B-52 either the ST or the AT im not sure wich one is bettor for metal, ive only played the AT.
I really dont feel like putting the TSL or DSL's jsut cause i dont know i dont like them.
thats why i put the JCM900 instead.
Quote by blabermouth5
^so whould i make this thread based of US prices alone i was thinking of putting an Engl thunder in the under 1000 section to accomidate UK guys, and a AC-15 and TT in the under 500 section.
also need a metal amp for the under 500 section, and was thinking of a B-52 either the ST or the AT im not sure wich one is bettor for metal, ive only played the AT.

I don't think anyones played the ST. For metal under $500 look at used Bugera (6262, 333, 333xl, 6260), Randall RG50tc, and maybe Valveking.
Quote by Fama

Yes, but I'm basing my prices off of Craigs List, Harmony Central, The Gear Page, UG and eBay, all of which are available to anyone in the US

Quote by Geartrigger
I don't think anyones played the ST.

I've played the ST, it was a long time ago, but I remember it being pretty sweet for the price.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
+1 for Geartrigger

I think that with some more info this thread could be a sticky, any mods agree?
Life Sucks, And Then You Die

So make the very best of it

My Last.fm Profile

Please check out my Youtube, and friend me if you like it. I do C4C, and I gladly will crit anything if you ask me.

I <3 My Xiphos
Quote by Geartrigger
I don't think anyones played the ST. For metal under $500 look at used Bugera (6262, 333, 333xl, 6260), Randall RG50tc, and maybe Valveking.

yah i was thinking of bugera, ive got to say no to the valveking cause i mean if your ganna go used whos ganna get the valveking with the competition.
Quote by Fama

Anyway, the problem with the European used market is that it varies a lot between countries (at least I think so). And a lot of small countries means small used markets, thus higher prices and smaller selections.

And I'm basing my prices off Ebay every Craigslist listing in the U.S, yes and even Puerto Rico.

Quote by blabermouth5
yah i was thinking of bugera, ive got to say no to the valveking cause i mean if your ganna go used whos ganna get the valveking with the competition.

People always debate whether or not the Valveking can do metal or not. It's cheaper than the others but doesn't do metal out of the box as well.
Last edited by Geartrigger at Jul 2, 2008,
Ill probly put the B-52 befor i put the Bugera, the Bugera i think is a great amp but they still have to overcome some realiability issues.
For now im ganna put in the B-52 in place.
I think if this thread got revised a tad, it would definitely be worth a sticky. Those prices MatrixClaw listed were pretty accurate.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by Geartrigger

Where did you see this one?

I have two used amps, I bought both for around half the retail prices and they are in very good shape. I wouldn't consider buying new with so much great gear cheap. There is a Crate Vintage Club 20 for $150 on clist in Chicago. It would be a great amp for anyone looking to go tube on a budget.
hughes and kettner
triamp mkI=$1200-$1400
trilogy=$900-$1000
switchblade=$800-$1000
duotone=$1200-$1700
triamp mkII=$1700 and above

marshall jcm800=around $700
jcm900= also around $700

this is based off my history from ebay, and criagslist
Quote by gregs1020
Where did you see this one?

I have two used amps, I bought both for around half the retail prices and they are in very good shape. I wouldn't consider buying new with so much great gear cheap. There is a Crate Vintage Club 20 for $150 on clist in Chicago. It would be a great amp for anyone looking to go tube on a budget.

Someone let a pretty new EVH 5150 III go for $1350 I think it was on eBay just a few days ago.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by rwalby9
Someone let a pretty new EVH 5150 III go for $1350 I think it was on eBay just a few days ago.

There's been a bunch for sale on HC in the $1300-1400 range.

The guy I traded wanted $1300 cash for his.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Page 1 of 2