Page 1 of 5
im pretty sure this thread has been around before...

i just wanna hear what amps people cant stand, amps that you cant sound good for anything iyo.

i cant stand crate amps, i havnt played the bigger ones, but the little 1x5" combos make me think "doorstop"
Crate and Marshall MG
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by babyboo666
Valveking personally, and any B-52 ;o

IMO.

Srsly. Maybe it's because the Cleans are teeeeerrrrriiiiibbbbllllee.

Also, Fender Frontman and Crate Flexwave.

And, MG and Spider III/II.

Also, I don't care for Orange amps that much. Just not my style.
how did u know the Line6 Spider was gonna get thrown in lol, i dont care much for Fender amps... IMO
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar
My friend's Fender FM which he then plugs a Digitech Grunge AND Boss MT-2 into and then uses it's line out to plug it into a $100 Johnson PA cab, all played with an LTD M-50 (or something like that, cheap $150 guitar) which he upgraded to an EMG 81 and 85 (which cost more than the guitar itself ).

Ew.

Either that or the cleans my friend has set up on his MG, HORRIBLE! Oh and the Spider he uses as a "monitor" with it, lmao.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
lol, yeah, i knew for a fact the spider 3/2s were gonna be on here, but oh well, i guess its a good thing i own one and they dont eh?

yeah fender too, im not much of a clean guy, so fender amps dont do anything for me.

any opinions on hughes and kettner?
Quote by codyshredfoo
lol, yeah, i knew for a fact the spider 3/2s were gonna be on here, but oh well, i guess its a good thing i own one and they dont eh?

yeah fender too, im not much of a clean guy, so fender amps dont do anything for me.

what is exactly wrong with spider IIIs ? or IIs?
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Quote by Hoodoo Child

Nothing, if you want to sound like a computer.
Quote by Hoodoo Child

i dont think theres anything wrong with em, i love mine, but people just seem to hate em...dont ask me...
Quote by codyshredfoo

1. Hughes and Kettner are high end amps
2. Spider III amps are probably the worst modeling amps on the market.
3. Fender amps can do much more than simply clean tones, and the overdrive on a Supersonic will eat your spider alive.
1. high end amps good? or high end amps...not worth the money?

2. really...is it like...death metal brutal distortion? or like...overdrive...? cuz call me a noob...but i use..rediculous brutal distortion...and super clean round soundingness
Quote by imgooley
1. Hughes and Kettner are high end amps
2. Spider III amps are probably the worst modeling amps on the market.
3. Fender amps can do much more than simply clean tones, and the overdrive on a Supersonic will eat your spider alive.

correction: a beaver being hit by a truck would eat a spider alive
in other words, ANYTHING would.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by codyshredfoo
1. high end amps good? or high end amps...not worth the money?

2. really...is it like...death metal brutal distortion? or like...overdrive...? cuz call me a noob...but i use..rediculous brutal distortion...and super clean round soundingness

1. Learn the proper use of the English language
2. Learn how to play with less gain and still sound br00tal
3. Learn what makes certain tones good
4. Learn the definitions of Overdrive and Distortion.
5. ?????
6. PROFIT!!!!!!!
Spider III.

Seriously, that amp is TERRIBLE.
My friend came to jam, and ended up playing on my spider III (currently collecting dust and being used as a table), with me on my Laney.

The spider III was nothing more then BUZZ. Like a bee hive. The high-gain settings were TERRIBLE.
The amp was PAINFUL. It was a disgusting sound. Nothing musical or nice about it.
Even Guitar Rig 3 sounds 9x better.

I am so thankful for my Laney. That sound is wonderful.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
bleh, i can talk good nuff.

and yeah...steve vai has brutal tone but i dont think he uses insane amounts of gain.

and...overdrive is...when theres too much sound comming out of the amp into the speakers at one time...and it clips the top and bottom of the sound waves distorting it?

and distortion clips the top and bottom of the sound waves before it goes out of the speaker?

and what DOES make certain tones good? i came here to learn so if you dont mind...EDUCATE ME!! (lol, not on how to spell educate)
Quote by babyboo666

? i guess i watch too much metalocalypse...he has good tone, i like it, a lot.
like when he just holds a note and it turns into a harmonic note, i dont really know how to explain it, but he has kick ass tone
Worst amp I've played?

Park.

The MGs are based of these, says it all...
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by codyshredfoo
? i guess i watch too much metalocalypse...he has good tone, i like it, a lot.
like when he just holds a note and it turns into a harmonic note, i dont really know how to explain it, but he has kick ass tone

fernandes sustainer trick?

Quote by cornmancer
The worst amp I've ever played was a small crappy SS Crate amp I played at my school. It sounded like a cow getting raped
Quote by Warped Signal
The worst amp I've ever played was a small crappy SS Crate amp I played at my school. It sounded like a cow getting raped

Quote by cornmancer
Fender SP-10, awful amp, one of those beginner pack ones. The worst thing a new guitarist can do is get one of those.
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Worst solid state: Peavey Rage 108 or Marshall MG

Worst tube amp/s: I really didnt like the Valveking that I played. Maybe if I had spent a bit more time EQing I could have found a decent tone, but it just sounded so muddy. Also a Mashall TSL head that I played on. Again, muddy as all hell and just sounded like a fart.
Worst amp I have EVER played? My little Squier SP-10
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
I havent played many amps:

Harley Benton GA5H (VJ clone) : own it and love it
Marshall MGDFX50: RUBBISH overdrive, my friend has one
Teisco Checkmate 15: EXCELLENT cleans
Dallas Arbiter Slider: great crunchy sound

Marshall 4 teh phail
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Marshall MG 10 CD a friend has. It's actually worse then the little G-10 that comes with an Estaban guitar package.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Valve? Valveking, valve jr combo, TSL halfstack.

SS? I hate to be cliché, but honestly it has to be the MG10.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Marshall Valvestate... oh god.

SS, I absolutely abhor my MG. Even more than the Spider, if only because the Spider has some okay sounding delay and flange.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
peavey supreme and my marshall MG wasn't to bad....a step up from the peavey, if only a baby step.
fender aerodyne jazz bass>mxr el grande bass fuzz>boss odb-3>dunlop crybaby bass wah>randall rba 500 es/ampeg 8x10
Spider III/II

Traynor T15/G My Friend owns one... YUCK!
Quote by CrackerJack465
Amps dont matter.
NeWb!
The crappy hand-me-down solid state I got from an Ibanez Jumpstart package. I think it's called the GT-10 or something... it's so horrible...
the spider 2 is pretty bad, as mentioned. It really only sounds like a grinding noise, rather than distinguished notes when played thru. Altho it can be made worse.... someone at a gig i played put his behringer ultra metal through the insane channel, probably the worst sound ive heard, not just guitar.... just overall sound... id rather listen to a 100,000 wat PA feedback for an hour than the tone he got.
I was forced to play through a big, loud, SS keyboard amp in a jam, one time. That was pretty terrible. To make matters worse, the only way to get overdrive was with my friend's crappy distortion pedal that didn't have a name or anything on it. It was just a box with some knobs. That tone made me not want to play anymore that day.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Well there's the obvious MG/Spider, etc. etc.

Apart from that, I really didn't like the Marshall JVM at all, nor the JCM2000, and I thought the Mesa Triple Rec was really ****ty. I just thought that they were all total overkill with all the crap they had on them. And don't give me this "You just plugged it in with all settings at 1/2 and volume at 1, that's why" crap, because I spent a good amount of time with all those..... I like the Single Rec and Lone Star though.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Marshall MG100DFX - it was worse than the MG15DFX, i thought. I've seen a "Park by Marshall" amp but never played it. Also, this horrible Kustom 10 watt practice amp, which was muddy and dull sounding on the distorted channel, but the cleans weren't too bad. Actually, the line 6 spider is far from the worst i've played. I own 3 amps which are worse than the spider. one of which is almost as bad as a marshall MG.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Jun 30, 2008,
Page 1 of 5