Hi,

here's a problem i have. I cant seem to jam with a bassist. its like i don't groove or fit in. like we're both playing and in the same key, but it jus doesnt fit. like the guitar is there but resembles the bassist none. How do i jam with a bassist so it "grooves". This problem doesn't occur when i jam with another guitarist though. I also would like it for clips of jam sessions of one bassist and one guitarist to give me an idea. thanks.
Try something really effective yet simple, say at 120BPM..

Have the bassist set down a 4/4 bassline of E, D, G, A - you will know exactly what notes he is playing and should be able to make stuff up over it that fits along nicely.

It's really important the bassist keeps good time and is confident playing the same thing over and over.

Another idea is to have the bassist playing a "walking bassline" for 12bar blues say, and you following it along with a few set licks.

Once you are comfortable with these pre-set arrangements maybe you can do some other stuff too?

I hope this helped. I don't see why this couldn't solve the problem.
'Jamming' is all about mucking around discovering new stuff, and learning, what type of music you play? Don't worry with practice it will come to you!
I am assuming he is playing some repeating riff, not just some bassline right? He has to be playing some sort of defined riff to improv over.

edit: pretty much what jackolas said
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by sacamano79
I am assuming he is playing some repeating riff, not just some bassline right? He has to be playing some sort of defined riff to improv over.

Exactly. Have him play what I suggested and there should be no problems.

If there are any problems he has timing issues.
maybe just bad bassist? xD
try with someone else.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Well it could be that even though you're in the same key you aren't in the same mode and maybe you're not playing the same "type" of riffs. I know those are obvious things but they could be problems. It could just be that one of you really suck but I doubt it! I don't know what else it could be. I can jam with just about anyone except when they suck but I mean REALLY suck!
helps to have a drummer to keep a beat going... then you come in... then the bassist should follow what you're doing while stayin' pace with the bass drum.. at least, thats what I do and it sounds good to me.

Just make sure you're not playing metal and he's playing blues..
What the hell were you thinking?

i duno lol. tihs r liek wen i traid drawn maiself n teh t0ilit.

ROFL.

EPICPHAIL.

gess i cant dai.
i play 80's metal and shred(i wish). But moving away form that style, to more blues-y, jazzy, and funky styles.
Quote by shtiming
i play 80's metal and shred(i wish). But moving away form that style, to more blues-y, jazzy, and funky styles.

Seriously, try the E, D, G, A thing I suggested...

You may think it is too "simple", but the bassist will be allowing you to do alot of things over the top, including playing in different scales, modes and flavours.

Basically if this doesn't work there is something wrong with his timing.

Make sure you have some sort of beat or metronome to keep the time or it will be difficult.
Im going to try this with jam studio right now. ill report back how it goes.
its working but i dont seem to be feeling it. it sounds average and just there. It doesnt sound good, but doesnt rape your ears. so i guess its me. Does anyone have example of live improv jams with just guitarist and bassist and drummer maybe?
Quote by shtiming
its working but i dont seem to be feeling it. it sounds average and just there. It doesnt sound good, but doesnt rape your ears. so i guess its me. Does anyone have example of live improv jams with just guitarist and bassist and drummer maybe?

Pretty much everything that Gov't Mule does.