well, here's yet another thread from a pickup-n00b wondering what pickups to get.
i'm looking for some reasonably priced, fairly versatile pickups to replace my current ESP-EMG pickups, and I've gotten LOTS of reccomendations from friends. I've narrowed my choices down to either EMG 81/85s or Seymour Duncan JB/Jazzes. I know a lot of people have tried both of these pickups, and I'm wondering how their tone characteristics compare.

I'm looking for a pickup combo with a fat, dark, singing lead (neck PU) and a very tight, clear rhythm (bridge PU) for playing metal (shredding, palm muted licks, etc. strong pinch harmonics also), but I also want pickups with nice, clear, touch sensitive cleans and just a nice overall character to them. I like Opeth's tone a lot and they seem to get these sorta sounds from their guitars.

I play an ESP with a mahogany neck-thru and agathis body. very dark sounding but with lots of clarity.

which ones do you reccomend? or am I asking too much from a pickup?!!
Your asking too much from the Duncan set, I wouldn't put actives in agathis either.

Dimarzio Breed in the neck, D-Sonic or Steve's Special in the bridge.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
ive got emg 81 and 85 and i dont like them at all..way too unnatural sounding and fizzy. they have a weird unnatural decay which bugs me. I also have the JB and its great very clean but also has a lot of beef. If you are trying to emulate Opeths tone the more important features are they use 10 gauge strings, Class A amps and carved top PRS guitars.

Im switching to all bareknuckles soon but im in the UK.
Quote by Diamond Dave
for the bridge id look at a SH-4 i think it is instead of the JB. has great harmonic response. not sure about the neck pickup but id stay away from emgs altogether personally.

The SH4 is the JB...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
slap in a Custom/Jazzn set. or buy what steven seagull recommended.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC