Page 1 of 3
As bands like Nirvana start to become considered golden oldies by some, it has me thinking....what are people going to look at as the defining rock band of the late 90's/early 00's? Who is our generations Nirvana? Lets just all pray history doesn't remember us all as a generation of whiny emo kids.....imagine a world where warped tour is remembered as the woodstock of our generation, and instead of a 3-day music festival full of hippies, the pinnacle of Gen Y was some pale kids with dyed hair moping in a parking lot listening to paramore? It's too horrible to imagine,

*oh, and i have no problem with warped tour, i usually have a great time, its just in recent years, the band lineup has become.......less and less listenable.....
Gear

Peavy 4x12
Customized strat(EMG humbuckers)
More effect pedals than i kno what to do with, mainly use digitech whammy, rat distortion, vox wah, mxr phase 90, vintage 70's big muff(best present i ever got)

self taught and proud of it
foo fighters. which is why Dave Grohl has done awfully well for himself.
Epiphone Dot-335
Fender USA Tele
'82 30th anniversary Les Paul goldtop
1965 pre-CBS Fender Jaguar

Crybaby
TS-9
turbo rat
Ge-7
+many more

Fender Twin Reverb
King's Full-tube 100 watt half stack. - £300
How about the band that formed after the end of Nirvana?

You know who I'm talkin about.

Quote by Hdap101
foo fighters. which is why Dave Grohl has done awfully well for himself.

****, u beat me to it.
Muse

/thread
Archbishop of Zeppelinism...

Quote by Beakwithteeth
Get him into blues. Lyrical depth-not so much. But it is groovy and it is black people's music so if he doesn't enjoy then he is not a true black person.

yea i gues when i put this out as defining, thats a little too definite, i mean, there really isnt any modern band that everyone likes and listens to. Like if i had to cast a vote, id proabably say radiohead is one of, if not the bettter bands around today, though its hard to cast them as a rock band anymore. Their albums are all critically acclaimed, the only reason they arent already on a pedastal like classic rock acts is that not everyone can agree on their sound. oh, and personally i don't like the foo fighters. They're definetly a good band, and they write great songs, but they're just a bit heavier on the pop than the rock if you ask me
Gear

Peavy 4x12
More effect pedals than i kno what to do with, mainly use digitech whammy, rat distortion, vox wah, mxr phase 90, vintage 70's big muff(best present i ever got)

Uhh the Sneaker Pimps, duh but for real probably foo's maybe Red Hot Chili Peppers.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Muse
Foo Fighters
Queens of the Stone Age
Radiohead
Arctic Monkeys
Green Day
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Nickelback
My Chemical Romance
Fall Out Boy

Bands who've got pretty close:
Placebo, Rise Against, Biffy Clyro, Bloc Party, Weezer, Paramore, SOAD, Lostprophets, The Killers, White Stripes, Mindless Self Indulgence
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Last edited by break-me-in at Jun 30, 2008,
yea, its just radiohead varies so much with each album, to define them by just one song like "Creep" doesn't really do them justice. Also, has anyone mentioned the White Stripes/Raconteurs? White Stripes have only been a mainstream act for only a few years, and they seem generally liked by most people. I actually don't think ive met anyone who just hates the White Stripes
Gear

Peavy 4x12

o sorry franky, u did list the raconteurs.....whatever they're a good band, definetley not for everyone thou
Gear

Peavy 4x12

I would love it if Muse were that band... But I don't think that it'll happen. I really think Radiohead is it. They're such an enigma. But its also important to keep in mind that what we, as musicians, would look back at and think of as a defining band, most of the world wouldn't. Not everyone likes Nirvana, and we can't say for sure what they would be if Cobain hadn't met an untimely death (R.I.P.). Hopefully our generation won't be branded emo. Hopefully Nickelback will move to Europe.

I think we should all pray real hard that good, QUALITY musicians make it to the big time. Like, The Jonas Brothers...

I'm sorry. I have to go punish myself for even joking about that...
Stop complaining about emo or Nickelback or whatever. Just because you don't like them, doesn't mean they suck. And there will be no single defining sub-genre of rock for our decade, there will be several. Pop-emo will be one of the big ones.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Uhhhh probably Tool for the critical peeps and Red hot Chili Peppers for commercial. Everyone will remember this emo thing as bad, don't be stupid haha. Every decade has it's share of crap: 70's/disco 80's/hair metal ect.
1# member of R.I.P layne staley club pm me to join
Coolest people on UG
Alucard ll
Kendawg4TooL
XeNoCiDe730
Thembones 16
Stepco
Ticks&Leeches
theWretched
Sadisticmonkey
michelangelo!
Kartman
DownInAhole
rockon1824
Rhinosaur Bones
Ok, first a lot of the bands that some of you have listed, like RHCP, Radiohead, Tool, Greenday, Weezer, and really Nickelback have been out way before the "late 90s," early 00'. The reason I say Nickelback is because when they hit is big with "Silver side up" that was like their 3rd or 4th album.
Anyways, I would probably go with either Foo Fighters, even though they really hit "it" around late 96 early 97, White Stripes, or Three Doors Down. Now before you go all WTF on me and say they are "commercial," guess what Nirvana and a lot of Seattle bands got commercial as well. Besides isn't that really the question this guy is asking? Who is the "biggest band?"
See Nirvana was pretty much the Beatles or Led Zep, or The Who, or Motley Crue of the early 90s. So really the question should be, "who is the Beatles of the late 90s early 00's?"
Sitting on the edge of nowhere.
Watch Out or Ill Steal Your Girlfriend... or Wife.
Roll Tide
Quote by Lukeisonfire
Uhhhh probably Tool for the critical peeps and Red hot Chili Peppers for commercial. Everyone will remember this emo thing as bad, don't be stupid haha. Every decade has it's share of crap: 70's/disco 80's/hair metal ect.

This is a tough question.. I mean 'defining'.. if you mean the most popular bands, yeah, they usually are garbage (Three Days Grace, Nickelback, Seether, Puddle of Mudd) and really, these bands are pretty much writing the same post-Nirvana songs. Best or most creative band? That's probably never going to be agreed on.
Quote by Guns N' r0ses
I think its 18 in california but I'm just wonderin cuz if i get caught then I can be like "well legally im allowed to watch it" and they'll be like "k koo"
shaggy92 has an awesum ****n point.
Gear

Peavy 4x12

Quote by strat999
shaggy92 has an awesum ****n point.

I usually do, but some of these guys stop listening to me cause I used to be a drunk.
Roll Tide
Quote by BackTothe101
The lack of Strokes and Arcade Fire in this thread disturbs me.

Have they really been that prominent? The Strokes were doing quite well 2/3 years ago but they haven't left a lasting impression yet. And Arcade Fire is still building up their reputation. They might start doing really well for their next album or something but not yet.
Quote by Shaggy92
Ok, first a lot of the bands that some of you have listed, like RHCP, Radiohead, Tool, Greenday, Weezer, and really Nickelback have been out way before the "late 90s," early 00'. The reason I say Nickelback is because when they hit is big with "Silver side up" that was like their 3rd or 4th album.
Anyways, I would probably go with either Foo Fighters, even though they really hit "it" around late 96 early 97, White Stripes, or Three Doors Down. Now before you go all WTF on me and say they are "commercial," guess what Nirvana and a lot of Seattle bands got commercial as well. Besides isn't that really the question this guy is asking? Who is the "biggest band?"
See Nirvana was pretty much the Beatles or Led Zep, or The Who, or Motley Crue of the early 90s. So really the question should be, "who is the Beatles of the late 90s early 00's?"

Yeah, so? Nirvana started in the 1980s, and they're a quintessential 90s band.

Green Day, Nickelback, and Radiohead have had some major successes in this decade. And everyone, just because you don't like the "emo" scene, doesn't mean it will be remembered as awful or you should be ashamed of being a part of this decade. Stop slagging off entire genres based on your own tastes.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
This decade is going to be remembered like the 80s was for terrible hair metal bands. People will remember all the pretentious indie wankers, whiny emos and generic metalcore bands. And they'll remember them as crap.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by break-me-in
Yeah, so? Nirvana started in the 1980s, and they're a quintessential 90s band.

Green Day, Nickelback, and Radiohead have had some major successes in this decade. And everyone, just because you don't like the "emo" scene, doesn't mean it will be remembered as awful or you should be ashamed of being a part of this decade. Stop slagging off entire genres based on your own tastes.

Whoa whoa whoa, guess what bro those bands I listed as "the new" Nirvana/Beatles or what not are not even bands I listen to. So yeah you just made yourself look pretty stupid. I was merely saying that they sold the most records so they would probably be considered the new "it". Just like Nirvana was, who, yeah they did unite in the 80s, but didn't get their success until the early 90s. ( yeah I know you know this ) Maybe you should read this guys question again and go chill out, cause he asked who was the new it of the late 90s early 00s. That means they would have united during that time. Plus he is asking in a modern rock forum. If he wanted to get the "all genre" experience, he should have posted in the bands & artist thread. Sorry if I sound a little "mad." I'm not. Its just you sounded like you got a little upset over nothing.
Roll Tide
uhhhh i really think alter bridge and shinedown are defining this decade.....
Quote by HomerHitter
I got a black Les Paul, and this Texan told me it wasn't as good as other color guitars becuse it was a 'nigger.'

Quote by Felgate
can anyone tell me how i get a tone similar to what avril lavigne uses in skater boy please?
It seems like Coldplay is in now but i doubt that they are the "it" of the decade. Um, everyone knows Radiohead so it's highly likely they would be the "it". I would really love it if Muse was the band of the decade. They are so amazing it is unbelievable. I'm an incubus fan but I doubt they would make it (if only their 'true' fans appreciated Light Grenades). But, anyway it doesn't matter what i think, everyone is gonna pick Fall out Boy, Paramore, and all those other emo type bands. This decade is garbage.
Quote by Shaggy92
Whoa whoa whoa, guess what bro those bands I listed as "the new" Nirvana/Beatles or what not are not even bands I listen to. So yeah you just made yourself look pretty stupid. I was merely saying that they sold the most records so they would probably be considered the new "it". Just like Nirvana was, who, yeah they did unite in the 80s, but didn't get their success until the early 90s. ( yeah I know you know this ) Maybe you should read this guys question again and go chill out, cause he asked who was the new it of the late 90s early 00s. That means they would have united during that time. Plus he is asking in a modern rock forum. If he wanted to get the "all genre" experience, he should have posted in the bands & artist thread. Sorry if I sound a little "mad." I'm not. Its just you sounded like you got a little upset over nothing.

I said "everyone", I wasn't referring to you really at that point.

And I don't think they need to have formed in that time, because as I said, Nirvana are a 90s band that started in the 80s. Also, modern rock is a very broad genre which can incorporate said bands, so yes, all of them are viable.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in
I said "everyone", I wasn't referring to you really at that point.

And I don't think they need to have formed in that time, because as I said, Nirvana are a 90s band that started in the 80s. Also, modern rock is a very broad genre which can incorporate said bands, so yes, all of them are viable.

Yeah but for curtain bands, their time of being "new" is over.
Also yeah Coldplay would be another one.
And I apologize for the other thing then.
Roll Tide
Last edited by Shaggy92 at Jul 1, 2008,
Quote by thisismyacc
uhhhh i really think alter bridge and shinedown are defining this decade.....

Alter Bridge is the best rock band on the planet hands down. There is not one band out there that writes such beautiful rock music. Probably the closest thing to a perfect band...
The most talented man on earth...
Quote by DeadIdentity81
Alter Bridge is the best rock band on the planet hands down. There is not one band out there that writes such beautiful rock music. Probably the closest thing to a perfect band...

Your opinion =/= Fact.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Alter Bridge, but I decently enjoy it, I guess. I would say they are the best modern rock band out there, and here's why:

A) Songwriting is placed before everything else
B) While Tremonti is a fantastic player capable of shredding with the best of 'em, he uses his talents tastefully, and in the right places.
C) The drummer is solid
D) The bassist is solid
E) The singer, while he definitely isn't my favorite, he has amazing range and control, as well as positive lyrical themes and doesn't seem to fall on the topic of ex-girlfriends or something stupid like that. I haven't heard all their material, so he may address that at some point, but I haven't heard it.
Quote by guitgrinder
Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Alter Bridge, but I decently enjoy it, I guess. I would say they are the best modern rock band out there, and here's why:

B) While Tremonti is a fantastic player capable of shredding with the best of 'em, he uses his talents tastefully, and in the right places.
C) The drummer is solid
D) The bassist is solid
E) The singer, while he definitely isn't my favorite, he has amazing range and control, as well as positive lyrical themes and doesn't seem to fall on the topic of ex-girlfriends or something stupid like that. I haven't heard all their material, so he may address that at some point, but I haven't heard it.

Same goes for Pearl Jam, and personally I feel Pearl Jam has a better catalogue than Alter Bridge. Oh, and the same goes for Muse as well, who also have extraordinary diverse music. The same goes for a heck of a lot of other bands too. It's not possible to say a group is the best rock group at the moment.
Quote by guitgrinder

C) The drummer is solid
D) The bassist is solid

You could say this about so many bands, and anyway, it doesn't matter because the only thing that defines what's "best" is your personal taste. And this thread asks who's biggest, not who's best, and I know Alter Bridge aren't biggest.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by frankv
Same goes for Pearl Jam, and personally I feel Pearl Jam has a better catalogue than Alter Bridge. Oh, and the same goes for Muse as well, who also have extraordinary diverse music. The same goes for a heck of a lot of other bands too. It's not possible to say a group is the best rock group at the moment.

yeah, but Pearl Jam are only about 20 years old now, and to be honest, I really don't like much after VS.. As far as Muse, I'm not too familiar with a lot of their work. I heard Stockholm Syndrome and quite liked it, but AB gets a lot more radio play than Muse, so they aren't a big contender for "defining rock band." Plus, what I did hear, they are a bit more progressive... they will become "definitive" for the future of the genre.

Quote by break-me-in
You could say this about so many bands, and anyway, it doesn't matter because the only thing that defines what's "best" is your personal taste. And this thread asks who's biggest, not who's best, and I know Alter Bridge aren't biggest.

Provide me some examples of other bands who are more than capable of playing their instruments the way Tremonti and crew does (besides Muse), and I'll agree with you. All I ever seem to hear are basic acoustic chord strum-alongs, (Nickleback) simple de-tuned riffage, (Three Days Grace, Evanescence) and single note progressions (Apocolyptica.) Also, the thread is not asking who the biggest band is, it's asking who the definitive rock band is. The biggest rock band at the moment is probably a tie between Weezer, Nickleback, and Radiohead.
The biggest one will be the one that defines the decade. That's the way it works.

Which is why I say Radiohead, Nickelback, Foo Fighters, Muse, QOTSA, Arctic Monkeys and MCR are all very safe bets. And some others I've forgotten which were on my original list.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
If Weezer would have started a little later I think they could have been our modern defining band (even though their more recent albums are not as good, regardless...)

So I would have to say Radiohead.
Gear-
Cherry Epiphone SG Special
Vox AD30
Boss DS-1
Quote by Cosmicstar
If Weezer would have started a little later I think they could have been our modern defining band (even though their more recent albums are not as good, regardless...)

So I would have to say Radiohead.

The Red Album is great, I love it!

But they're not big enough to take the title anyway.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
White Stripes probably. They've done everything in their career that should have kept them left-field, but due to the strength of Jack White's songwriting - they've just been huge. Raconteurs could go on to be better though.

Foo Fighters will probably be remember as the defining band, but I will always disagree. As surely the defining rock band of this era needs to at least be above average? QOTSA will never get it as they aren't big enough, despite them kicking most modern bands asses with every release/tour.

And Radiohead of course. Biggest band in the world.
MCR cant be counted as The Black Parade is there only real rock album. I loved TBP but the others were mediocre at best and had very few hints of Modern Rock. Nickelback is modern rock sell outs. They are more Mainstream rock/pop. They are going the direction Sugar Ray used to and that is putting 2 songs that everyone can listen to then the rest of the album is hard rock. Sell Outs. IMO...

I pick Alter Bridge because they are the most talented band in Modern Rock imo and they put it to excellent use. They have 2 cds out and not 1 song is bad, and not even close to it. Mark Tremonti is the best Modern Rock guitarist out there imo in terms of technical ability as well as song writing and emotion there isnt a better musician. The guys just write classic rock in a modern rock world.

THESE GUYS ARE THE MODERN DAY LED ZEPPELIN!!!
The most talented man on earth...
Page 1 of 3